Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Bowl

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I couldnt agree more with ye Davyjose,the AFC/NFC used to play like be****ed to come out on top in this one,not anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

jasonb wrote: »
    Well, there was some movement by the linemen, but it was mainly false starts and offsides!

It's strange that a game that's designed to show the best of the best has different rules to the normal games. Things like No Blitzing,.

The rules requiring 'vanilla' defences are essential. It takes weeks, sometimes months for an offensive line to gel and get their pass blocking assignments sorted out to protect the QB, whereas its much easier for the defensive line.
    Without a rule that prevents blitzing, the defensive coordinator(with the cream of the league's best defensive ends and linebackers) would send an all out blitz on every play and the QBs would get killed.

After seeing what the Giants pass rushers could do against a pretty good Patriots O-Line in the Superbowl, imagine what would have happened against an O-Line cobbled together at a few days notice from players from different teams. Sure the blockers might be better individually, but the O-Line depends very much on teamwork and you don't get that in a few days.

I think if all out blitzing was allowed in the Pro Bowl, it would end up being a low scoring affair and many teams would seek to withdraw their star QB, due to a 'last minute' injury, rather than risk a serious injury to the likes of Peyton Manning, in what is an exhibition game.

So the different rules are a necessary evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

davyjose wrote: »
    Fair enough, but it's a shame the game doesn't mean more. It used to be a real grudge match, but now it seems to be a waste of time.

Why risk your career for a friendly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I see what your saying, but my attitude would be why play the friendly in the first place if you're not gonna play it.
    To be honest I can live without the blitzing and all that, but with regards to the AFC QB's for instance you've got two of the 3 best QB's in the Conference and you play the third guy for half the game. I at least wanna see the best players out there, even if they're messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Because Browns/Bengals never get into the endzone anyway:D:D:D
    Except on safetys:D:D

Ehhh yeah....

8 Cleveland Browns 16 (games) 25.1 (points per game) 402 (total points)
    9 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 (games) 24.6 (points per game) 393 (total points)
    9 Seattle Seahawks 16 (games) 24.6 (points per game) 393 (total points)
    11 Cincinnati Bengals 16 (games) 23.8 (points per game) 380 (total points)

So as you can see... the Browns scored more points than the Steelers this year (they both had 46 td's each) so the steeler's are soooo much better than the browns :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

Look at the case of Robert Edwards.

Vikings wrote: »
    the steeler's are soooo much better than the browns :rolleyes:

First of all my man,what it says up there is gospel:D:D:p
    And ever heard of defense?
    During last years regular season,the Steelers defense allowed 16.8 points per game,266.4 yards per game and 269 points in total,they were ranked number one in the NFL.
    The Browns,on the other hand,allowed 23.9 points and 359.6 yards per game,they were ranked 30th in the NFL:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Look I know you were only joking with what you said but when you consider that the Browns "got into the endzone" just as many times as your team (46) and still managed to score more points... you are really just giving yourself a slap in the face instead of ripping on the other teams like you tried to do!!

The Vikings had a better run defense than the steelers though, I can live with that. The best run defense in fact... and the best running game on offense too! We sure can run the ball.

Vikings wrote: »
    We sure can run the ball.

Too true!!!
    I mean,Adrian Peterson,a Rookie,comes along and breaks the record for most rushing yards in a game?
    Impressive.

Advertisement