Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter Reviews

Options
  • 06-02-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

Are the charters allowed to contain anything?

I'm just wondering if charters are reviewed with an eye towards things that will be used either stupidly or as justification for malice?

Like the prevention of discussion or mention of irrational or random things such as "santa clause" or banning the use of the term "Mac Beth"?

/runs and hides.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 McBeth

They had better not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The mods don't own their fora, the posters do. If there is something in the charter that you don't like, take it to feedback. If enough people agree with you, and your suggestion makes sense to the admins, more than likely it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Are the charters allowed to contain anything?

yep.
    generally, the more it will annoy general users, the more likely it will be in there
    I'm just wondering if charters are reviewed with an eye towards things that will be used either stupidly or as justification for malice?

the mods are far from stupid, so id have to go with malice on this one.
    Like the prevention of discussion or mention of irrational or random things such as "santa clause" or banning the use of the term "Mac Beth"?

the scottish play. why would you want to discuss that? as for santa clause, thats really a topic for the conspiracy theory forum, wouldnt you think?

/runs and hides.

you can run...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry.... do you have a point? Can you please make it?

kthxbye.

DeV.
    ps: the answer to your OP is, no... no they shouldnt do that in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

DeVore wrote: »
    Sorry.... do you have a point? Can you please make it?

kthxbye.

DeV.
    ps: the answer to your OP is, no... no they shouldnt do that in general

My point was to ask the question because I wanted an answer ... did I do something wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

here - less of the oul false innocence - why did you put
    runs and hides
    if you didn't think the question was a bit.....shall we say....cheeky.

tbh, it looks to me like you want to make a point, and are asking a loaded question to get others to make it before you make it yourself.

My point was to ask the question because I wanted an answer ... did I do something wrong?

the charters are a guideline.

they are not the law of the land, to have technical legal discussions over.
    most mods wil use common sense.
    the charter is merely there to give the users a fair idea of what they can and cannot do.

but dont think that doing something that isnt specifically on the list of dos and donts wont get you banned.

users need to use common sense too. but youve been here a year, and you know this already.
    dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

/runs and hides.
    Why don't you just say what is on your mind. I really hate drama.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If this is about you trolling Christendom again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you have a particular problem with a particular charter I think your first port of call should be to PM the mods responsible for the forum to discuss it with them. There might be something that may seem odd or even outright wrong to you but it could be there for a very good reason which the mods could clarify for you, or may no longer be needed and it might be removed if you bring it to their attention.

I'd imagine quite a few forums would have something odd in their charter which might not seem fair at first glance but is there because experience with the forum has shown it to be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

My guess is the OP is referring to this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55076740

where he was warned to watch the swearing for use of the term BS.

IMO using the exact term BS is deliberately avoiding swearing when there's a perfectly convenient expression to use instead of that little acronym but hey I'm not the mod.

And I could be wrong about that thread being what the whole thing is about.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The charter simply reflects the ethos of the forum and the regular posters there and lets newcomers know what to expect when they post there, and can be updated reviewed by general consensus, at least as far as BGRH goes, is there anything odd or unusual in the charters? Not at all!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066160

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I personally think the banning of textspeak should be present in every charter. Irrational? Me? Not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

5starpool wrote: »
    I personally think the banning of textspeak should be present in every charter. Irrational? Me? Not at all.

I agree with your irrationality and would take it further and make it a site, nay internet bannable offence!

tbh wrote: »
    here - less of the oul false innocence - why did you put

if you didn't think the question was a bit.....shall we say....cheeky.

tbh, it looks to me like you want to make a point, and are asking a loaded question to get others to make it before you make it yourself.

lol, actually i meant /runs and hides as a joke about the usual feeding frenzy that happens with posts in here.

If I had intended to refer to a specific thing I would have, as I have done before.

Popinjay wrote: »
    My guess is the OP is referring to this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55076740

where he was warned to watch the swearing for use of the term BS.

IMO using the exact term BS is deliberately avoiding swearing when there's a perfectly convenient expression to use instead of that little acronym but hey I'm not the mod.

And I could be wrong about that thread being what the whole thing is about.:o

No you are quite right in a sense. It was the straw that left the dromedary in traction so to speak.

I have seen peculiar things in forums and I was genuinely wondering if there was an admin checking them for nonsense etc.

There isn't. I got my answer. I'm happy enough.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So actually this is a complaint about being banned thread, dressed up as "concern about the pliability of charters" . Intellectually dishonest at best. If you have a genuine complaint, why don't you make it.

Oh and lol at your sniffy parting shot. "I shan't be patronising your establishment again. Watch as I perambulate my way from your establishment, sir. Good day!"

DeV.

So actually this is a complaint about being banned thread, dressed up as "concern about the pliability of charters" . Intellectually dishonest at best. If you have a genuine complaint, why don't you make it.

Oh and lol at your sniffy parting shot. "I shan't be patronising your establishment again. Watch as I perambulate my way from your establishment, sir. Good day!"

DeV.

Over react much?

I wasnt banned from anywhere. I was genuinely asking the question.

I didnt kick up a stink and I apologize if my making a joke came across as something it wasnt.

Believe me, if I had intended to stir the **** I wouldnt have been circuitous about it. I would have come right out and said it.

For the record. I dont have a complaint. I had a question. Boards doesnt have a "ask a n00bish question of your betters" forum (at least not one I can see) so I asked it in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah.

Just from the looks of it (ie. its contents) it didnt seem particularly suited to what I was asking, more of a repository of knowledge than a direct answer thing.

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

can you not ask a question in there?

Over react much?

I wasnt banned from anywhere. I was genuinely asking the question.

Then why did you say in post 17 that the reason behind this thread was the rebuke you got??

I didnt kick up a stink and I apologize if my making a joke came across as something it wasnt.

Next time try some funny, it works a treat.

Believe me, if I had intended to stir the **** I wouldnt have been circuitous about it. I would have come right out and said it.

For the record. I dont have a complaint. I had a question. Boards doesnt have a "ask a n00bish question of your betters" forum (at least not one I can see) so I asked it in here.

All of this contradicts your post number 17 in this thread wherein you said:
    No you are quite right in a sense. It was the straw that left the dromedary in traction so to speak.
    Confirming what I suspected.
    I have seen peculiar things in forums and I was genuinely wondering if there was an admin checking them for nonsense etc.
    Yeah, we check every one of our hundreds of forums every day to see if there has been a change to the charter and review it. :rolleyes: I dont think you are stupid so I can't see how you can genuinely ask such a stupid question. The point above indicates that you had an ulterior motive for your question and that really p!sses me off.
    Finishing with a snippy comment for good measure which I suspect is as genuine as your original question.

I don't mind criticism, I don't mind negative feedback. I really REALLY dislike sniping questions with hidden agendas.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Don't we all.

Then why did you say in post 17 that the reason behind this thread was the rebuke you got??

Next time try some funny, it works a treat.

All of this contradicts your post number 17 in this thread wherein you said:

Confirming what I suspected.

Yeah, we check every one of our hundreds of forums every day to see if there has been a change to the charter and review it. :rolleyes: I dont think you are stupid so I can't see how you can genuinely ask such a stupid question. The point above indicates that you had an ulterior motive for your question and that really p!sses me off.
    Finishing with a snippy comment for good measure which I suspect is as genuine as your original question.

I don't mind criticism, I don't mind negative feedback. I really REALLY dislike sniping questions with hidden agendas.

DeV.

Dev,

I think you are over reacting and out of order on this.

1) I wasnt banned from anywhere. It has nothing to do with the Zombie incident. YOU claimed i was banned, I am not. I responded to that. I didnt want to bring up the specific circumstances for the very reason that this, like EVERY thread in feedback, would turn into a feeding frenzy by the web-pirahna that inhabit this place.

2) I asked a question and got an answer. I was happy to leave it at that but instead a number of people decided to make accusations for no reason. So you can't be expected to review each and every charter - fine - maybe there was a peer review system between mods? Maybe there was a system for reporting peculiarities in charters? I'm not bloody omniscient so I asked a question.

3) Instead of following the decorum displayed and the civility asked for in the charter of this very forum - you immediately ASSUMED I was up to something. I was not. If you know my posting history you would know I dont go in for the sneaky rubbish. I make my points quite clearly.

Finally, I intended for my statement to be read as it is written. There is no review. I got my answer. I was happy. There is nothing snippy in that statement, it was intended to draw my reasons to a close. I am really suprised at the instant assumption that someone is trying to cause a problem. I had a question, I asked it. I got my head torn off for it by posters, speaking critically, are too used to tearing strips off people in here.

Perhaps you might want to not be so quick to judge every post in the feedback forum as being from a disgruntled **** stirrer. I understand that the tone of other posts can make it a little difficult to separate post from forum, but its a bit much to jump down my throat for asking a question.

I didnt assume anything. You confirmed it in post 17 which I have highlighted above and which you have studiously ignored in your answer above.

DeV.

I didnt assume anything. You confirmed it in post 17 which I have highlighted above and which you have studiously ignored in your answer above.

DeV.

I did not do any such thing. Read it again.

I said, quite clearly that he was right in a sense. That the incident referred to was the impetus to make me post, the final straw in a series of other incidents - not related to that specific thread - that made me wonder if charters are reviewed.

I did not ignore it, studiously or otherwise, I have now answered you twice. Do you want me to answer a third or fourth time and say the same thing?

You got the wrong end of the stick for some reason Dev, either by misunderstanding or assumption.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Worst. Feedback thread. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Not that bad, I find this an interesting topic.

It was mentioned that the charters are a guideline, rather than the rules of the forum its in, and then the rule is up to mod interpretation in an individual case.

This does deserve discussion, regardless of who got who's stick by the wrong end :D

This is not the worst feedback thread by far, I've read far cr@pper.

So when Popinjay said: "My guess is the OP is referring to this thread"

and you replied: "No you are quite right in a sense. It was the straw that left the dromedary in traction so to speak."

and I accused you of having an ulterior motive for you 'just wondering' OP..... I was the one who got the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah. Right. I'm done with this thread....

DeV.

• Advertisement

So when Popinjay said: "My guess is the OP is referring to this thread"

and you replied: "No you are quite right in a sense. It was the straw that left the dromedary in traction so to speak."

and I accused you of having an ulterior motive for you 'just wondering' OP..... I was the one who got the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah. Right. I'm done with this thread....

DeV.

My emphasis. Your mistake.

Just because it is your sandpit it doesnt make you infallible

Advertisement