Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance run in a soccer match

• 06-02-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the average distance run by an outfield player in a match is at both professional level and amateur/social games? Or even in a hour long indoor soccer game? I know it would vary for different positions alright... I remember a coach telling us years ago about some experiment that was done on a premiership team where they measured the distance run, can't remember the team or players involved, think the figure may have been 8 miles for a midfielder but not sure about this, hence the question asked in this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

gaf1983 wrote: »
    alright... I remember a coach telling us years ago about some experiment that was done on a premiership team where they measured the distance run, can't remember the team or players involved, think the figure may have been 8 miles for a midfielder but not sure about this, hence the question asked in this thread.

Arsene Wenger would know the answer :), he normally comes out with those stats every so often about a midfielder and i seem to remember a arsenal midfielder running around the 8mile mark or more.

PHB soccer mod would know the answer im sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Champions league sometimes gives these stats as players are being substituted. Midfielders seem to do circa 5-6km a game? Least i recall Carrick getting that once.

Though my memory could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I remember Sissoko doing 12-13 km in a Champions League game if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its more than you think - most guys in the box-to-box style run about 10-12 Kms.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Here's a fairly interesting (2yr old) article on it: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article722711.ece

Yeh, 12K seems about right for the top tier midfielders these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah I was thinking 4-5km seemed rather small, its like the equivelent of a 20 minute run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Must stick a pedometer on myself next match I play just out of curiousity .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IIRC Inzaghi did about 10km in the Champions League Final last year, though most of that was coming back from an offside postion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

interesting reading.
    when i played hockey, a defender would usually do around 6-8km a game, a midfielder 8-12km, and a forward anywhere between 9-15km a game.
    game only lasts 70 minutes in hockey though, and the pitch is smaller :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nakamura averages 12.7km.

"He just keeps going. Our performances are analysed using computer technology, and this shows he runs more than anyone in the team. People say he doesn't tackle much, though he was getting stuck in at Inverness.

"But he gets back into positions where it makes it difficult for the opposition to pass through you and he closes down, too.

"Our analysis shows he runs between 12.7 and 13 kilometres in a game. Against AC Milan, he did more running than anyone on the pitch. You can only do that if you have real fitness, and he has that because of the way he has lived since he was very young."

They showed all the distances covered at the end of Milan v Man Utd last season. Pirlo and Carrick were the top 2. Both just under 12 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i could be wrong but i think they showed years ago that mcmanaman ran 13 or 14 km in a CL match for madrid once, i think so anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

event wrote: »
    i could be wrong but i think they showed years ago that mcmanaman ran 13 or 14 km in a CL match for madrid once, i think so anyway

Probably explains why he looked so b*lloxed when he went to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

It can vary hugely from player to player. Central midfielders usually hold the top ratings. Gattuso being one who regularly averages 12-15k a game. On the other hand Pirlo averages 8-10k a game but his job is not to run all over the place but to be a deep lying playmaker.

These days players such as Cafu (in his prime) Danny Alves etc.. would clock up huge distances as they just covered the side line all game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Andy voronin does approx 1.5kms a mtch.And thats walking:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Beckham famously covered 16.1km in that match against Greece.
    14km was his Premiership average.

Not bad for a lazy free kick taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Naka is muck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

tibor wrote: »
    Beckham famously covered 16.1km in that match against Greece.
    14km was his Premiership average.

Not bad for a lazy free kick taker.

As pele once said "only idiots dont let the ball do the work"......;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Beaten to it but Beckham against Greece is the longest distance covered in a match, since these records started anyway. Amazing performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,428 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dubit10 wrote: »
    As pele once said "only idiots dont let the ball do the work"......;)

Pele was a great footballer, but i'd never actually listen to what he says and give it any great importance. He said NICKY BUTT was one of the best footballers still living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Xavi6 wrote: »
    IIRC Inzaghi did about 10km in the Champions League Final last year, though most of that was coming back from an offside postion :D

or celebrating his 2 goals!

beckham does a crazy amount of running, most like a headless chicken i may add, but somewhere around 10-12 km. Id say park ji sung does a fair amount also and surely rooney does more than any other forward out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

or celebrating his 2 goals!

beckham does a crazy amount of running, most like a headless chicken i may add, but somewhere around 10-12 km. Id say park ji sung does a fair amount also and surely rooney does more than any other forward out there.

I remember seeing rooney up around the 10 Km mark in a champs league game alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I'd like to see the figure for Robbie Keane, he does get around alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would love to see Jimmy Floyd Hasselbainks distance.

iregk wrote: »
    It can vary hugely from player to player. Central midfielders usually hold the top ratings. Gattuso being one who regularly averages 12-15k a game. On the other hand Pirlo averages 8-10k a game but his job is not to run all over the place but to be a deep lying playmaker.
    I don't know about that. I've see plenty of Milan in the CL and they always have the distance stats for them. Pirlo and Seedorf are Milan's top 2. I've never seen Gattuso get near 12, never mind 15.

During this year’s broadcasts of the premier European soccer club championship, TV viewers around the world have encountered a mysterious new number: the total distance, in meters, run by each player while on the field. When AC Milan’s Gennaro Gattuso was replaced in the 85th minute of the club’s 3-0 defeat of Manchester United in a Champions League semifinal earlier this month, he had run more than 10 kilometers, according to an on-screen graphic. (That’s the equivalent of running the length of an NBA court about 350 times.) This stat is again at center stage today as Milan faces Liverpool in the championship game.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/tracking-how-far-soccer-players-run-112/

I can't believe that Beckham figure btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

obviously my memory needs a good kick in the bollox ;)

According to Match of the Day last night, Flamini covered more ground than any other premiership player over the weekend. 8.5 miles/13.7km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd be interested to see Andy Reids average.

I'd say it'd be high enough, as big as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

eirebhoy wrote: »
    According to Match of the Day last night, Flamini covered more ground than any other premiership player over the weekend. 8.5 miles/13.7km.

He did 14k in the away game against Milan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely Cafu in his prime would have easily beaten that Beckham record.

Some games it was like he was just running lengths of the pitch for 90 minutes.

Advertisement