Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[P2P] Bittorrent Download Speeds

Options
  • 07-02-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

what download speeds those everyone get with azureus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

full speed of my 3mbit connection but i use the non bloated utorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the most i seem to be getting is bout 15 kb/s on a 2m connection with eircom

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The healthyer the torrent, the better speed youll get, a torrent with loads seeders (People with full file sharing) and only a small ammount leechers (People only jumping on torrent or still downloading) will go very fast, probably maxxing your connection, most linux distributions on torrents go very quick... Also it helps if the sharers have huge upload speeds :), also opening ports on your router should help a good bit aswell...

Nick

i've opened the ports and one torrent has the green face and 5 seeds 16 peers and only gets between8-12kbs with nothin else bein used

i can't wait til i get my 7.6Mbps (what a ****ed up downlink speed) in june.

i'll have linux distro's cd's as beer coasters. :D

• Advertisement

that's normal for a torrent like that, there are more than 2 downloaders of the torrent for every one person fully uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

guil07 wrote: »
    i've opened the ports and one torrent has the green face and 5 seeds 16 peers and only gets between8-12kbs with nothin else bein used

You should give BITCOMET a go.

ok thanks was just confused cos i see some posts with people say they get like 200kbs download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

depending what ISP you have, they may reduce p2p downloads.

a piece of hardware called "sandvine" can be used in the exchange, which takes p2p protocol and puts it down the priority list, making you get slower speeds, and people just browsing getting higher speeds

some ISP's use this, and more and more are beginning to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Maxing out your upload speed will snafu your download speed. You should NEVER max out your upload speed on P2P. There is no need for it at all. You can achive max downloads with a 7KB upload.

• Advertisement

i'm with eircom do they throttle torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

i'm with eircom do they throttle torrents

No, definitely not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Appears to be:
    Eircom - don't throttle
    BT - don't throttle
    UTV - don't throttle
    Smart - don't throttle
    NTL/UPC - Do Throttle (maybe sandvine)
    Clearwire - Do Throttle/Port Block

Basically any bit-stream resellers don't seem to throttle...maybe its not worth the investment they'd have to fork out to company's like sandvine,

Most people's problems with bittorrent speeds is they jump on a torrent with too many peers and not enough seeds, not enough seeds full stop, incorrectly configured torrent client or incorrectly configured router (port forwarding)

i've set up azureus the way it says on the wiki site and forwarded the neccessary ports, i presume pers are downloading and seeds are uploading, is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

i've set up azureus the way it says on the wiki site and forwarded the neccessary ports, i presume pers are downloading and seeds are uploading, is that right?

:rolleyes: Seeds are those with the complete torrent, therefore are uploading only. Peers are others downloading & uploading the torrent

ok thanks i was shocked last night one torrent i was getting 60-70 kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm actually suspicious when I get really good speeds - files often turn out to be fakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm on Smart and a member of a couple of private trackers - if there are a good number of seeds, particularly Scandinavians who have great upload speeds, I can get round the 400kb/s mark. More often it's between 40 and 80kb/s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

im with o2 and use u-torrent and only get a servere maximum of 25kb/s . with o2 should i get better speeds? or maybe use a different prog?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

to be honest the application has nothing much to do with speeds, its all down to correct config and the connection being used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Rant alert!
    I used to use Azereus which wasnt great i thought and uses up a lot of cpu.

Changed over to u torrent and seems to be a more fluid application.

I use a private tracker sometimes with u torrent which is unbelievable. I got speeds of 700 to 800kbs, which i nearly fell over when i saw it. But back to public sites which can vary between 5 and 80 kbs

My wireless router refuses to upload whic means i have to go wired hence the men turn green.

The new azereus isnt bad but i might go back to utorrent.

Btw im on chorus 1mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you got 7-800kb from a 1meg line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ya i know it sounds like im talking bs, but this was a one off from a very good private tracker

I thought the comp was goin to blow up. I have down loaded from this torrent since and this hasnt happened, but its been up to 3-400kbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Old topic but was closest to my search.

I get the orange face the whole time too?

I use azureus and when I speed test, my port isn't open?

How do I open ports, set up azureus to use them and get the thing to properly work. I'm afraid I am a techtard when it comes to networks.

go the the azureus wiki page it will tell ya what settings to use and go to portforward.com that will tell ya what ports ya need open and how to do it

Advertisement