Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with court ordered visitation- further proof that father's rights don't matter!

• 07-02-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am in desperate to get any type of help regarding a very ugly battle over visitation of a child.

My husband is a guardian of his son (his ex has sole custody since they were never married).

He went to court last year and was given (what I feel was more of a sentence) a court ordered visitation schedule. This schedule states he must see his child twice a week, one weekend a month, and three sundays in every two months.

On the surface this may seem like a fairly reasonable order. HOWEVER, it was not stated who will deliver the child and what constitutes a 'weekend'. The result, a mother who refuses to cooperate (she refuses to drive and will meet halfway once a month at most) because she knows that at the end of the day if he does not see his child, he will be in trouble. (keep in mind they were living apart while they were still together, so it is not a case of someone moving far away AFTER seperation)

Now, a year later...he drives approx 52 hours every eight weeks (in peak traffic times) to see his child. If he does not drive and come on days that the mother feels is appropriate she is now threatening to withhold visits. She knows she cannot legally do this...but delights in the harrasment. He calls almost every evening to tell his son goodnight, and now, after voicing his concerns for the situation, she refuses to let him speak to his child.

He also works nights so in many instances he will drive 2 hours to dublin to visit his son for three hours. Then he will turn around, drive 2 more hours then go straight to work for up to 12 hours.

To make matters worse she repeatedly (even in front of me AND HIS CHILD) says his visits are a priviledge that she can take away at any time. She does not inform him of school events (so he misses them and looks like a bad father), etc. etc.

She has even gone as far as to say that if he takes her back to court she will win simply because she is the mother. (which...i wouldnt doubt!)

I can go on and on about this situation.

We have contacted numerous solicitors, none of which will take our case. On the surface, I am sure it just looks like two bitter people who cannot get along. But it is not! It is ABUSE! My husband is willing to do mediation, counseling, ANYTHING that will stop this. He just wants to see his child as much as he can, without feeling like he is forced to suffer in the process.

I know if we go to court unrepresented it would be disaster. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE???????????? WE ARE DESPERATE!

thanks!!!

Lotte :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

52 hours in traffic wow!. I would look at it from the childs perspective. There is a big book on the Childrens rigts and law and the constitution in Hodges and Figgs,3rd floor.It seems that the child's is being put through this ordeal by the mother by parking in the middle of nowhere etc... out of spite and I remember hating this treatment as a child. Why cant the father go his son's home or meet at granparents of either mother or father or uncle etc.I mean it sounds very lonely for the child meeting in the middle of nowhere. Check the that book or any book on childrens law and rights and you might find a workable solution.You should also edit your OP before a MOD locks it, as it might be perceived as asking for a legal advice.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Whilst I sympathise, You can't seek legal advice here. Please read the charter.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement