Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubbercurry

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello all -- My husband and I and our two little ones are considering a move from our home just outside London to Co. Sligo, and we had a lead on a house in Tubbercurry. We've been through it on holiday, but we're hoping that someone who lives nearby could give us some more details - are there any children's programs; play areas and the like nearby? Are there many stay-at-home mums in the community? What is the closest secondary school? Any information about community/children's programs would be most welcome.

-Laura

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Hi Laura, A few ideas, hope will be of help.
    I am not familliar with this website but it does seems to be run partly by the Department of Health. Check out teh family resource centre as a useful contact.
    http://families.ie/select_region_sligo_withGP.php?town=Tubbercurry

http://www.sligochildcare.ie/
    Their brief is to support and co-ordinate the childcare services out there in Sligo.(they act as a resource for these services and for parents) They should have a listings of services and/or other information you might need.

www.rollercoaster.ie
    A parents discussion forum. They also have local based information.

Tuppence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Speaking from my own experiences, you would need to consider healthcare. The standard of service is far inferior to the NHS, while you will be expected to pay through the nose for it. If you or your children need any long-term medication or treatment then I'm not exaggerating by saying it could be a major factor in actually affording to live in the Republic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Yes healthcare is expensive when you are used to free at the point of delivery, and should be costed for. You may be entitled to different subsidies (eg Gp only cards etc ) so its probably worth doing some research into it.
    This might help
    http://www.emigrantadvice.ie/returning_to_ireland.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to the Sligo forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is a good secondary school in Tubbercurry (St Attracta's)
    Its a nice town, they seem to have lots of things going on for kids.
    Give us a shout if you move, I'm not a million miles away. Moved here from the UK 17 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭escape

Laura

its second biggest town in Sligo so has alot going for it, 30 mins drive from Sligo town, same to BAllina and 40 minutes to Carrick-on-Shannon and Castlebar so you are in good commuting distance form alot of major towns.
    There is a Family Resource centre in the town which is excellent source information for local services and runs training courses and play groups etc.
    Well worth looking at their website or contacting them direct.
    Local town hall has active commitee and regular sports classes etc
    Number of creches etc in the town.
    Also google, tuubercurry chamber of commerce as they launched a website last year - again good source of information on local activites.
    Secondary school is excellent - new building, very modern facilites, a few years ago the 2 local secondary schools were almagamated - a new school was built so its very modern - good sports facilites and range of extra-currlicular activities.
    Also check out Sligo County Council website as they have development plan for each town in Co. Sligo and has some useful information.
    Overall nice place to live - has doubled in population in recent years - services are probably still catching up but its a good place to live.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

We found this site very useful for moving to Ireland http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories it's for all things that concerns Ireland.

Tubbercurry, I don't know much about except there is a gorgeous parade and fireworks for Halloween!

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Tubbercurry has one of the best local communities I know of.

You won't find a better place to relocate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Laura77 wrote: »
    Hello all -- My husband and I and our two little ones are considering a move from our home just outside London to Co. Sligo, and we had a lead on a house in Tubbercurry. We've been through it on holiday, but we're hoping that someone who lives nearby could give us some more details - are there any children's programs; play areas and the like nearby? Are there many stay-at-home mums in the community? What is the closest secondary school? Any information about community/children's programs would be most welcome.

-Laura

there are quite a few good creches and community run ones also
    there is a primary school in the town and many others within a few miles radius - Tubbercurry primary was modernised and had major building programme just a couple of years ago
    - the secondary is St Attracta's community school, just a few years old with excellence facilities, there is a footpath the whole way out to it from the town which is streetlit - a popular walk for adults in the evening too to keep fit in a well lit place
    - there is a playground in the town
    - there are many activities for children run in St Bridget's hall, and someother activities in Teach Laighne (this is the CO. Councils' ONE STOP SHOP which houses an excellent new library with plent of internet access and the car tax office and many other facilities) - the evening activities for children include karate, irish dancing, music lessons etc
    -there is a health centre in the town
    - AIB and Nank of Ireland bank - but they do close for lunch!
    - Murphy's hotel for when your friends visit - good rates and lovely new hotel with very popular daily carvery
    - health food shop and cafe
    - local drama group for adults

there are plenty of SAHM on the area - by availing of the creche on Mountain Rd or going to the mother and todler group there you cam meet lots of Mums

there are evening classes held in North Connacht College as well as at St Attracta's school - another great way for newcomers to meet others - wide range of classes in both academic subjects and craft etc

I live a few miles from the town and have young children too:)

Good luck with the house purchase and move!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laura77

Thanks to all who posted such helpful responses!
    Cheers - Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Repeat of my other post as it's more relevant in this thread:

I grew up in Tubbercurry and it wasn't too bad at all. The best thing about it, for me, was the local drama group! Great way to kill those long winter nights and have a bit of fun, and meet new people. It's probably the best social scene if you're not into football and soccer - which is without argument the most popular scene in most of these towns). If you are into soccer and GAA, you wil have plenty of new friends in any of these small towns. Dromahair also has the Lough Gill drama group, and they are a really nice gang also. If you do move to any of these towns, the best way to enjoy life is to try and get involved in stuff that has a social scene around it, so take into account what groups/organisations are there. You will be very bored and won't have any connection to the place if you just watch telly every evening or go to the pub on yer own! If you do that, these towns can make you a pretty depressed human being (I should know, I was there in my early 20's)...

Tubber also has two large supermarkets, an excellent library / one-stop-shop, mobile cinema visits, one of the best and most state-of-the-art secondary schools in the country, and low property prices. A friend of mine bought a house there a couple of years ago and it wasn't much more than 200k, and it's a lovely house. He works across the road, the lazy fecker

Advertisement