Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fox Rifle with Garda go ahead

• 07-02-2008 2:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

From reading the boards its seems that a lot of folk take their well oiled .243 or .223 or similar with them when going foxing-- If a chap had no interest in deer hunting and wanted a larger center fire for good fox sport, what would stand in his way if he approached the super????

I cant remember ever reading that a rifle bigger than a 22/250 was only allow for use on deer..
    My excuse to the super might be:- Its just that in mountainous country you can get shot that deserve a hi powered round with a couple of cubic km's of mother earth behind for the ultimate backdrop.:cool:.......400m-- not that i have taken such a shot:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

what exactly is the question?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Do you need a deer license in order to get a med center fire rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Eh well for starters the 223 isnt a deer rifle.
    And even with a high powered rifle (308) etc the effective fange on a fox is the very simular due to bullet drop and wind drift!
    Also a fox hit with a 223 at 300yrds is just as dead as with a 308 or simular!
    So if your not shooting deer or target with it then IMO theres no point getting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Eh well for starters the 223 isnt a deer rifle.
    And even with a high powered rifle (308) etc the effective fange on a fox is the very simular due to bullet drop and wind drift!
    Also a fox hit with a 223 at 300yrds is just as dead as with a 308 or simular!
    So if your not shooting deer or target with it then IMO theres no point getting it!

I can see where ivanthehunter is coming from with getting a bigger calibre gun. I live in Kilkenny city and the Super will NOT sign for a .223 as its a military round as far as he's concerned, see my threads here on this ".223 not allowed here". My son has applied for a .223 but he's under a different Super. I still will not get to use his gun as the above will still apply to me, even when its his gun.
    BUT the Super will sign for a bigger calibre so the FO has told me. So I'm looking at getting a .308 and going target shooting and joining the Midlands range. This will be the only way I can get a gun, that is effective, to go fox shooting with my son as well.
    Bit OTT I know but you gota do what you gota do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

clivej wrote: »
    BUT the Super will sign for a bigger calibre so the FO has told me.

Your Super sounds like he has not got a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I cant remember ever reading that a rifle bigger than a 22/250 was only allow for use on deer..
    (

What you have probably read is something like "..only a rifle of .22/250 or bigger is allowed for deer.."

Not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

So I'm looking at getting a .308
    i know ye're having trouble with the super in kilkenny, and my sympathy's!! :o
    but if his reasoning for not giving 223 is that its a military round, than the same might apply to 308(7.62)!!! if the reasoning you use to get it is target shooting, same might be done with 223.
    i hope you get a rifle in a calibre of your choice, just saying ya might have a problem with 308 if thats the supers mantality, so ya dont get another big drop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    So I'm looking at getting a .308 and going target shooting and joining the Midlands range. This will be the only way I can get a gun, that is effective, to go fox shooting with my son as well.

Not quite, you can get .220 Hornet, .17 REM, .204 Ruger or .220 Swift, all as good if not better than the .223 REM for foxing in their own ways!

Or is it the apparently cheaper ammo that draws you to the .223 REM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

im in th market for a .223 for foxes and target but specificall for the cheaper ammo, is there anything that packs the same punch with simmilarly priced ammo as the .223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

monksavage wrote: »
    im in th market for a .223 for foxes and target but specificall for the cheaper ammo, is there anything that packs the same punch with simmilarly priced ammo as the .223

You can pick up 22/250 ammo from around €20 a box for federal soft point
    55 grn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

For target 223 is definately cheapest to shoot unless you want a 308 and I wouldn't recommend that for fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

foxhunter wrote: »
    You can pick up 22/250 ammo from around €20 a box for federal soft point
    55 grn.

Federal soft points are to tough a bulley for fox.
    The just pass through the fox with very little damage!
    But if your not shooting fox then no problem!!!:)

Advertisement