Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to live in London

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Ive recently gotten a job in London in Canary Wharf. If you could recommend any locations which would be close (20mins tube ride), safe and reasonably close to good clubs etc.. Im willing to pay up to 250pounds a week maximum (preferably 150). Also any info of the type of properties I should expect for that would be great. I am aware that location means everything in London and dont expect to be living in Chelsea, South Kensington but somewhere decent is neccessary.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Welcome to boards.ie :)

You've posted in entirely the wrong place I'm afraid! While Canary Wharf may have the vaguest banking connection, the Abroad forum might be a better place to post this than Banking/Insurance/Pensions as it's all about living abroad.

Moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Look up the docklands light rail system and you'll see loads of places handy for Canary Wharf. Also gumtree.ie is the usual place for renting places in London, or at least that's how my mates got various places they lived. While Canary Wharf is alright around Westferry Circus a lot of it is very dead, particularly at weekends, so much so that a lot of stuff closes.

Outside of docklands Islington is a great place to live and is around 25 minutes away (Angel stop on tube) and well within your budget. I have a mate who lives in Greenwich who really likes it there but then you're moving towards Deptford which is rough as. Basically everything from Isle of Dogs on is moving more and more "downhill".

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/Standard-Tube-map.pdf

The journey planner function on the website is dead handy (right hand side) and gives you an estimated journey length of time to Canary Wharf from areas you might consider moving to
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keano9

tonym911 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Ive recently gotten a job in London in Canary Wharf. If you could recommend any locations which would be close (20mins tube ride), safe and reasonably close to good clubs etc.. Im willing to pay up to 250pounds a week maximum (preferably 150). Also any info of the type of properties I should expect for that would be great. I am aware that location means everything in London and dont expect to be living in Chelsea, South Kensington but somewhere decent is neccessary.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi tonym911. How's it all going? Did you manage to find a place to live close by?

Just got a job in Canary Wharf too, but am staying put where I am in SW London as I can't afford more than about £200 a week. Probably making up for it with the extortionate cost of an Oyster travelcard, but hey ho! Takes me about 50 mins to get in - tops - which isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hiya tonym,

When you get setup in the UK or if you have any questions about living there...tax system, NI numbers etc then register at the boards.ie sister site boards.org.uk and we'll be happy to help as well.

Advertisement