Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-wiring fans

Options
  • 07-02-2008 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Last night I re-wired a molex fan to a 3 pin connection so it could be connected to the motherboard! It worked fine only it wasn't going as fast as the other fans!?

The fan was 250mm so im thinking theres not enough power but I dont know.. I only down this on the off chance it would work so I could do it to all the fans and be able to get rid of all the molex connections in the case!

The wire colors were also black red and yellow!

Any ideas?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

so it was a 4 pin?
    dont they have a speed control?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

your motherboard probably can't supply the watts to power it. Usually fans that only come with a molex connection have a reason. AFAIR it can actually damage your motherboard if you connect a fan that tries to draw more power that your mobo can supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

L31mr0d wrote: »
    your motherboard probably can't supply the watts to power it. Usually fans that only come with a molex connection have a reason. AFAIR it can actually damage your motherboard if you connect a fan that tries to draw more power that your mobo can supply.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

dazftw wrote: »
    Last night I re-wired a molex fan to a 3 pin connection so it could be connected to the motherboard! It worked fine only it wasn't going as fast as the other fans!?

The fan was 250mm so im thinking theres not enough power but I dont know.. I only down this on the off chance it would work so I could do it to all the fans and be able to get rid of all the molex connections in the case!

The wire colors were also black red and yellow!

Any ideas?

use a fan controller, i have 3 fans connected to 1 3pin and they work fine,you just need a good fan controller like the sumbeam robhous since that can output the most amps(?) for fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

robhous LOL. That sounds german. What Awhir meant is rheobus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It seemed just fine on the 250mm, I doubt it would damage it with a 120mm but hey you never know!

I dont want a fan controller there just messy and I dont think the antec fans are good enough to actually make use of them.

I really only doing this so I can make it look clean instead of having extra molex wires in the case, I wonder if I can dremel holes in the side of the hard drive cages and have the wires go though them and out the the back of the case without ever being seen?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement