Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split 2-core wire

• 07-02-2008 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a light in my garage which has the light-switch at the opposite end of the garage. I want to add a new light-switch at the end close to the light. I was thinking of cutting the 2 core wire near the light fitting, and running another short length of 2 core wire to a new light switch which would be attached to the wall.

What would be the best way to rejoin the split wires? Would I need to run one wire down into the light-switch and back up again?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Wire the new light into the existing light. You should be able to terminate your connections at the existing fitting. This means the 2 lights will be switched together. Connect the wires into the terminals that the light bulb is wired to, brown to brown, blue to blue etc.. If you're unsure take a photo and we'll take a look.

Make sure your connections are tight and that you don't damage the conductor when stripping the cable.

You should power the mcb off while you work as there may be a permanent feed at the light. If you're unsure then you should consult an electrician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 218 ✭✭CelticPhantom

Wire the new light into the existing light.
    Hi Mr. Magnolia,

Sorry I did not explain myself clearly. I need to add a new lightswitch to control an existing light. Being in the garage, I have access to the cable running from the old lightswitch to the light. I was hoping to connect the new lightswitch to the cable without changing anything else. The bit I am unsure of is joining the new cable from the new lightswitch to the cable that already exists.

Existing :

o...<=== Light bulb
    |
    |
    |
    X <====== Light switch

What I want :
    o...<=== Light bulb
    |........................................|
    X....<== Light switch ===>.....X

I hope this make things clearer, if not feel free to ask for more info.

PS it does NOT have to be a two way light switch.

Sorry, my fault, I misread your OP.

If you break into your existing wire from the switch to the light all you will have is a circuit where both switches need to be closed for the bulb to come on.

ie. ___/*_______/**____________0

*= Existing switch
    **= New Switch
    0 = Bulb

This may do your job but I doubt it.

You are looking for 2-way switching.

Currently, you have a live and a switch-wire between your light-switch and your light-bulb. You will need to route one of these wires to the new switch.
    So, you'll now be looking at: ___/ ____________0___________/ ___

You then need to run a set of strappers between the existing light switch and the new switch. Strappers are basically 2 wires, they should be both brown in colour. The switches you're looking for are called '1gang 2way'

This is the final wiring arrangement. The wires from the light go into common on both switches. The strappers go into L1 and L2 respectively.
    two_way_switching_a.png

Hope this is clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry to Hijack lads, but only Neutral (one wire) gets run through the light?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 218 ✭✭CelticPhantom

If you break into your existing wire from the switch to the light all you will have is a circuit where both switches need to be closed for the bulb to come on.

ie. ___/*_______/**____________0

*= Existing switch
    **= New Switch
    0 = Bulb

This may do your job but I doubt it.
    Yes I really want to keep it this simple.

It is the breaking into the existing wire that I am enquiring about. How would the connections be made? Do I use a normal connector an put two wires into one end an one into the other end (repeat for each of Live, Neutral & Earth)? Then cover the connector in tape? Surely this would keep the circuit and keep the light on all the time (assuming the original switch is kept closed)?

Do I only connect one wire down into the switch and back up again? This seems like it should work. Which one should it be?

Thanks again for your patience.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Sorry to Hijack lads, but only Neutral (one wire) gets run through the light?

Yes. Sometimes it gets looped onto other lights meaning there would be more than one at any particular fitting.
    Yes I really want to keep it this simple.

It is the breaking into the existing wire that I am enquiring about. How would the connections be made? Do I use a normal connector an put two wires into one end an one into the other end (repeat for each of Live, Neutral & Earth)? Then cover the connector in tape? Surely this would keep the circuit and keep the light on all the time (assuming the original switch is kept closed)?

It would keep the light lit but the switch wouldn't serve any function. Think about it like this: you need to break the switch-wire/circuit to the light to stop the flow of current. You don't need to break the neutral or earth, you may have to though (if they're all contained in the one cable, this would depend on the style of wiring).

Imagine there's only one wire that goes from your existing switch to the light:
    _________/_____________0
    All you'll be doing is:
    _________/______/______0

To achieve this you'll have to cut the cable (make sure the power is off) and break the switch wire. The other cables, be they neutral and earth can be placed in individual connectors in the switch and taped up. I'd like to discuss this further with you on-thread to make sure you're clear what's involved before you do any work :)

Great info.

Is there a special cable for wiring lights, and is the strapper cables just called a lenght of strappers.

Thanks again.

No problem. Domestic lights are wired in a selection of '1.5 singles' and 'twin and earth'. Strappers are '1.5 twin brown'. I'm not advocating anyone going out to install lighting circuits on the basis of this thread alone.

There are reasons why electricians spend 4 years in training.

One more question, what capacity fire extingiusher would you recommend, 10L? :)

Sixze matters, the bigger the better.

Just make sure it's a Dry Powder Extinguisher. I seen a young fella running to a switch room fire with a water extinguisher once, grabbed him by the neck before he blew himself up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

. I seen a young fella running to a switch room fire with a water extinguisher once, grabbed him by the neck before he blew himself up.

Do you own him now?

Yup. Keep him in the basement.

>_>
    <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wiring 2 switches in series is pointless.
    It sounds like all you really need to do is move the first switch closer to the light.
    If you want to retain both switches then wire them in parallel (2-way-switch) to get some benefit from it.

Flip the MCB before you unscrew or snip *anything*. (and then get someone else to turn it back on :D )

Advertisement