Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 07-02-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, got my new Nokia 6110 Navigator yesterday. It navigates fine as long as it has found a signal in less than an hour (literally). The only other SATNAV I've used is an ancient Garmin that was about the size of a medium sized dog and it worked just fine and picked up the signal in less than ten seconds usually.

It took about 10 mins to find a signal the first time yesterday. The next time took longer. The next time longer. My record is switching it off after an hour of finding no signal.

I live right alongside the main South Coast E/W road (N25) which I'm sure MUST have a strong signal and I can't think of any other reason for my trouble. Online reviews that I read made no mention of this, btw.

I've always had Nokias and most recently I had an N70 which I had desperate trouble with. I seemed to be the only one. I only replaced it because I was sick of it and just the thought of another unreliable Nokia is wrecking my head.

What will I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Hmmm - That does sound weird. Try pressing 5 while it hunts for satellites, then scroll right across the tabs - The third and fourth pages show you which satellites you're getting signals from.

Is your Assisted GPS turned on? This should speed it up, but you'll also be billed for data transmission by your network provider. (I turned mine off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

OP, do you have free line of sight towards the satellites?
    are you moving while trying to get the initial signal response?
    are you holding the phone upright while trying to get the signal?

it's working for me fine and the sat signal is catched up normally under a minute if i don't move. even slow walking makes it more difficult to catch the GPS signal... but once the mobile has got the signal i can put it in the jacket and cycle away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Hmmm - That does sound weird. Try pressing 5 while it hunts for satellites, then scroll right across the tabs - The third and fourth pages show you which satellites you're getting signals from.

Is your Assisted GPS turned on? This should speed it up, but you'll also be billed for data transmission by your network provider. (I turned mine off).
    OP, do you have free line of sight towards the satellites?
    are you moving while trying to get the initial signal response?
    are you holding the phone upright while trying to get the signal?

it's working for me fine and the sat signal is catched up normally under a minute if i don't move. even slow walking makes it more difficult to catch the GPS signal... but once the mobile has got the signal i can put it in the jacket and cycle away.

Thanks guys- will try these.

I'm usually stationary when I'm waiting for the signal. I had a situation today where it wouldn't register the signal at all. I tried it at point A and it wouldn't pick up. I tried it when I got to point B and it thought it was at point A. i tried it when I returned to point A and it thought I was at point B???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Try pressing 5 while it hunts for satellites

Done this- it tells me that it will give details on the strongest 6 satellites but at any time there's only between 0 and 2 bars showing and the last scale shows a figure of between 18 and 23 but mainly nothing.

Another observation I forgot to mention is that it was able to tell me my correct speed even though it didn't know where I was and was searching for signal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

a software/firmware update/reinstallation via the NOKIA Software Updater might help. the latest version is 4.22 AFAIK (menu/settings/device mgr).

• Advertisement
Advertisement