Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental

Options
  • 07-02-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a car in france in june for a few days but I will only have my full license around 8-9 months at that stage. I'm 23 with a full license.

I know most of them say you need to have a full license for at least 1 or 2 years but if I say I lost my license and had to get a new one last year is there a way they can check up on that? Obviously wouldn't mention it if they didn't say it first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Rented a car last year, and although they did look at my licence, they let me have the car without any problem (though I did spot a raised eyebrow when the licence was looked at) - it was only after I had got home I realised it was 7 months out of date !

From that experience it may be that the hire company might not be too concerned - the problem might be if they give you the car and you have an accident you might find that their insurance company will check up and that a small print condition of the insurance has not been met thereby invalidating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Double check this, but you have to be 25 years old in France to rent a car as far as I remember. Insurance issue, they don't insurance younger drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

mick.fr wrote: »
    Double check this, but you have to be 25 years old in France to rent a car as far as I remember. Insurance issue, they don't insurance younger drivers.

Not entirely true. My GFs mate was driving in france and she was 23/24 and they rented her a car. I'll try and find the companys name. Most companys have a 'loading charge' put on under 25's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Not entiely true. My GFs mate was driving in france and she was 23/24 and they rented her a car. I'll try and find the companys name. Most companys have a 'loading charge' put on under 25's.

I have checked just checked on hertz.fr, basically for small cars this is 21 (With an extra fee) and for normal or bigger saloon this is 25.
    Some models are over 30 (High end cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are involved in an accident over there then the insurance you take out with the rental company will most probably be null and void. This could also have wider implications with regards the laws in that country, i.e. technically you would be driving with no insurance.

A calculated risk I personally would not take to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

There does seem to be a surcharge of €10-20 per day for 21-24 year olds. It is a risk but i'm literally driving an hour to the apartment and staying there with maybe some small trips.

I'll have to think about it and check if there's any public transport to the place but I probably would take the risk. I've also found out one of my relatives only had a full license for 2 months over there when he rented.

Cheers

Advertisement