Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If only they had this in Ireland

Options
  • 07-02-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

So been living in Holland for a while now, saw these signs on the motorway that said "Bob ij Bob ?"

Needless to say i thought it was just an anti-drink driving thing or something ? Saw the ads on TV with dutch crazy talk ..

Turns out its actually a bloody brilliant idea, basically you call bob, a guy comes out on a fold up scooter, puts the scooter in the boot and drives you home. Works out the same price as a taxi too. When you get to where you want to go, you pay, he takes his scooter out of the boot and drives off, if its in between cities he'll get the train home.

So you can go someplace, drink if you want and get a lift home in your own car :D

I heard rumours of something like this in Ireland but it was shot down due to insurance issues ?

Info on the service here (In Dutch)
    http://www.rentabob.nl/

I think this would be great at tackling the drink driving problem in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

craichoe wrote: »
    So been living in Holland for a while now, saw these signs on the motorway that said "Bob ij Bob ?"

Needless to say i thought it was just an anti-drink driving thing or something ? Saw the ads on TV with dutch crazy talk ..

Turns out its actually a bloody brilliant idea, basically you call bob, a guy comes out on a fold up scooter, puts the scooter in the boot and drives you home. Works out the same price as a taxi too. When you get to where you want to go, you pay, he takes his scooter out of the boot and drives off, if its in between cities he'll get the train home.

So you can go someplace, drink if you want and get a lift home in your own car :D

I heard rumours of something like this in Ireland but it was shot down due to insurance issues ?

Info on the service here (In Dutch)
    http://www.rentabob.nl/

I think this would be great at tackling the drink driving problem in Ireland

http://www.carhome.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hope your sitting down for this, but.....

We already have this!! :D

Although, do you want some random stranger driving your car with you as a drunk back seat driver? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Damn .. thats cool :D
    I could have used that a few times in Cork ! .. didnt even know it existed !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They had it on topgear aswell didnt they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 markdoy

Episode on Top Gear couple of years ago where Hammond and May spent a night as the drivers for one of these services in London........... they then proceeded to informally review each car while driving the owners home from a night on the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We had that here at least a decade ago. Never took off as it was slower and more expensive than a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jackncoke wrote: »
    They had it on topgear aswell didnt they

Yep, saw that episode.
    They reckoned it worked out twice as expensive as using a cab on average.

OP, it won't be the same price as using a cab, no way

Works out the same price as a taxi too

I just looked that up:

taxi: €5.12 plus €1.94/km (maximum legal rates)
    bob: €5.75 plus €2.80/km

So it is significantly more expensive. Plus getting a taxi in a rank takes seconds. Getting a bob takes up to 30 minutes. Where I can see it work in Holland is for intercity trips. Holland has a population density 10 times higher than Ireland so I can't really see the same intercity service being offered here :)

Mind the price difference between a regular taxi and bob in Holland is a lot less than what I seem to remember was the premium they were charging in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, if you take a taxi, realistically you need two ...because you need to go back to get your car or you go out by taxi in the first place.

So getting your car driven home might just work out price wise.

unkel wrote: »
    I just looked that up:

taxi: €5.12 plus €1.94/km (maximum legal rates)
    bob: €5.75 plus €2.80/km

So it is significantly more expensive. Plus getting a taxi in a rank takes seconds. Getting a bob takes up to 30 minutes. Where I can see it work in Holland is for intercity trips. Holland has a population density 10 times higher than Ireland so I can't really see the same intercity service being offered here :)

Mind the price difference between a regular taxi and bob in Holland is a lot less than what I seem to remember was the premium they were charging in Dublin...

Price is different during unsociable hours though, 7.50 when you just get into the damn thing ! .. Taxi's here are more expensive than Ireland IMO, i guess they have to pay for their Mercs somehow.

• Advertisement

7.50 when you just get into the damn thing !

That's the new rate. Is that in place yet? Anyway that includes 2km, so it is cheaper than the older rates
    peasant wrote: »
    Well, if you take a taxi, realistically you need two ...because you need to go back to get your car or you go out by taxi in the first place.

So getting your car driven home might just work out price wise.

You've got a point there! I was basing it on getting a lift / public transport for the other trip

unkel wrote: »
    That's the new rate. Is that in place yet? Anyway that includes 2km, so it is cheaper than the older rates

Yeh, got a cab last night actually, the guy was really friendly, gave us a leaflet on the new rates and showed us on the meter where it said what tariff you were on etc.

Ah cool. And you're right. Taxis in Holland are more expensive than in Ireland. But then again, you get a new E-class and not a 15 year old clapped out Corolla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

A guy I knew started this type of business here about 1996, I dunno if its is still going.

I thinks its a terrific idea, though I have never used it, but if you have it all orgainsed in advance it would beat standing in line at a taxi rank in the cold city centre. Have the luxury of your own car there and back !

Cool !

Advertisement