Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building v Buying

Options
  • 07-02-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

It's been a couple of years since i built my last PC and im thinking about getting back into gaming. Is there still a big saving to be made through building your own?

I see these dell XPS machines, working out around 1400. Am i getting that much more building something myself?

I'd probably be missing out in terms of overclocking and expandability, but ive never gotten into either all that much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I've been toying with the idea as well... but after discovering the site at the end this thread I can't see why I' bother with the hassle of building myself...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Its juuuuust about possible to build a quadcore 6600 (or core2duo 6850) system with 8800 GT in SLI for less than 1000 euro on that site..

You'd have to stick to 2 gigs of ram, a slightly cheaper case and scrimp a tiny bit on power supply, but you could run it on the decent sli mobo, asus p5n-e sli

Even have a little bit left over for shipping..

If you took one of the 8800gt's out, you could get a syncmaster 2ms monitor instead..

Oh the possibilities are endless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Macspower wrote: »
    I can't see why I' bother with the hassle of building myself...

Dude it's not hassle, it's great fun picking out your components and opening all those shiny boxes plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself is unbeatable, you can't be proud of a Dell !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

MooseJam wrote: »
    Dude it's not hassle, it's great fun picking out your components and opening all those shiny boxes plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself is unbeatable, you can't be proud of a Dell !

+1
    While at the same time saving plenty of dosh if u pick the right components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Agreed.... I was doing exactly this until I see they build it for me for 20 quid and it's way cheaper built and delivered than the parts alone from Komplett..

TBH a bit dissappointed as I enjoyed my last build although it was modest to say the least but I find it hard to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Agreed, currently upgrading a PC for the first time in a long time.

Its worth it for the feeling of achievment & relief when you power it up after putting it togeather and it works!-very satisfying..

Advertisement