Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LAN Connection dropping Optiplex 755

• 07-02-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Right folks,

I have a strange problem. Have 2 Optiplex 755's running on the ground floor of the building. Today they started dropping the network connection every 3 or 4 minutes so I replaced them with 2 new 755's, and these are working fine.

However after bringing up the "faulty" 755's to another desk, they havent dropped the connection once.

All I can see in the Event viewer is "Failed to subscribe to local Intel(R) AMT".

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭carveone

Well, AMT is remote management. Part of vPro, but I don't see what that's got to do with anything. My guess is that you are in to the realm of dubious quality network cables. Combined with AutoNegotiate on the switch, this can cause the most annoying, sporadic, weird ass problems you've ever seen.

One of the writers for PCPRO magazine recounted a big fight he had with various hubs/switches/routers/pcs which came down to crap UTP. People using Cat3 at 90metres on 100 MB - that kind of thing... Nothing like cutting corners on basic infrastructure to mangle your day.

One of the reasons I tend to force speed/duplex on the switches - a duplex mismatch is the most aggravating problem ever - I managed to speed up a company network by at least 10 times by turning Auto off...

Conor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

like the fella said

try changing the speed down to 100Mb to see if that makes them more stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

are you using NOrton AV?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cervantes

This is a known problem with the Optiplex 755 and the Intel 82566 network controller - here's the workaround we got from Dell until a BIOS update is released to resolve it:
    As discussed the recommended workarounds for this 755 Nic card issue are as follows:

The three options below all cause the Intel Chipset, and the internal registries, to reset, clearing the error for good and providing a stable platform.

1) - Using the Intel Management tool (ctrl+P on boot), set the ME Status to "Disable"
    2) - Power off system, remove power cord, press power button, to remove flea power, re-insert power cord and power back on.

3) - Within Device Manager, go into the Properties for the Intel card and run the Link Speed Diagnostics (about 1 minute).

In addition, by applying option one, you can then go back into the management tool and re-enable the ME Status, this has also proven to be stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Cervantes wrote: »
    This is a known problem with the Optiplex 755 and the Intel 82566 network controller - here's the workaround we got from Dell until a BIOS update is released to resolve it:
    As discussed the recommended workarounds for this 755 Nic card issue are as follows:

The three options below all cause the Intel Chipset, and the internal registries, to reset, clearing the error for good and providing a stable platform.

1) - Using the Intel Management tool (ctrl+P on boot), set the ME Status to "Disable"
    2) - Power off system, remove power cord, press power button, to remove flea power, re-insert power cord and power back on.

3) - Within Device Manager, go into the Properties for the Intel card and run the Link Speed Diagnostics (about 1 minute).

In addition, by applying option one, you can then go back into the management tool and re-enable the ME Status, this has also proven to be stable.

Cheers Cervantes. I just tried that on the Dell PC but it's asking me for a password? Dont suppose you know what it might be?

Ill also try and reset the port speeds on the switches and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭carveone

Cervantes wrote: »

Good lesson there! Look for known hardware issues first...

The optiplex 755 is one of the latest dell models. I guess it has teething issues. (Wasn't it the Optiplex 270s that were really bad?)

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cervantes

AFAIK the default password is 'admin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crisshartzell

I have the same problem with my Optiplex dropping the LAN connection. Disabling Intel ME Status worked, but it took some time to arrive at an acceptable password -

I finally found these requirements at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology_(AMT)
    • between 8- and 32-characters long
    • Contain both upper and lower case Latin characters
    • Have at least one numeric character
    • Have at least one ASCII non-alphanumeric character (!, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

carveone wrote: »
    Good lesson there! Look for known hardware issues first...

The optiplex 755 is one of the latest dell models. I guess it has teething issues. (Wasn't it the Optiplex 270s that were really bad?)

C.
    Hardware problems caused by capacitors overheating , upgrade the BIOS if not at A07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MADmanFREE

We're getting this network problem on the A09 bios. Just getting a machine to try the fix. Our problem is that we have a few hundred of these in the establishments that we cover. One major headache! Hopefully dell will sort this out with a new bios soon!!!

• Advertisement

The thermal fix / A07 was for the Gx270's

Advertisement