Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Being in the wrong lane.. on purpose!

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

On the way home through town yesterday, i went down some lane.. can not remember the name of it. It leads on to clonbrassil street i think.
    So when you get to the end there are 2 lanes of traffic (one way street). Traffic going right is queued up but not able to turn due to a jam on clonbrassil street.
    The Car in front, which had been indicating right, pulled in to the left (to go left or straight ahead.) She then turned on her indicator to go Right??
    so when we had a green.. she did not pull out and instead waited there? I beeped and flashed until she finally got the message and moved out (lights only green for about 5 seconds.) I was going straight and she proceeded to go straight also and gave me the finger? she was in the wrong and she knew it. Then we both turned right and she pulled in to a parking bay (i assume to turn around and go back). I kept going, all the while wondering why she did not keep going and turn back at the next block and skip the traffic jam. she must not have known the area..
    Anyway what is it with people.. women especially giving you the finger as soon as you beep at them! They are in the wrong, surely they know that.. they could at least wave and say sorry but instead up goes he finger.. sometimes it stays up until you can no longer see them :D

Another thing i notice is the auburn roundabout if heading from the auburn road. two lanes of traffic. Its clearly marked. Left lane for Navan Right lane for city. Since you are entering a roundabout, If i want to go to the travelodge or head up river road i would have to be in the left hand lane and go straight through. The amount of people who go into the right hand lane and indicate left and proceed to go left heading to the M50 is shocking!! I have seen so many near misses there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ya, that maddens me. Makes me feel like pulling out a gun and blowing their finger off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yesterday in fact on the Auburn roundabout i had a big ford galaxy or something in the right and indicate, they knew they should not be there as the slowed and hesitated and i went straight in front of it. Had they kept going they would have caused an accident.

I do not get it.. if they find they are in the wrong lane, like any time you find that on a roundabout.. just go around the roundabout and get it right next time. No need to tempt fate just to save a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Saruman wrote: »
    Another thing i notice is the auburn roundabout if heading from the auburn road. two lanes of traffic. Its clearly marked. Left lane for Navan Right lane for city. Since you are entering a roundabout, If i want to go to the travelodge or head up river road i would have to be in the left hand lane and go straight through. The amount of people who go into the right hand lane and indicate left and proceed to go left heading to the M50 is shocking!! I have seen so many near misses there.

Quoted for supreme Truth - I am so sick to death of people beeping hell out of me just because I am in the correct lane for going to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's because any coward can be brave in a car. Let me explain.

Imagine you are walking down a busy street and this women is in your way. If you ask her nicely, she'll move.
    Do the same thing in the car while driving and you'll get the finger.

If you ever cycle around Dublin you'll notice cars full of skangers will fire water bottles and roar abuse at you. I gurantee they won't do that on their own or if they are walking as they have no escape route.

The quietest and most meek person around can hop into a car and throw abuse at every motorist around them. Small man syndrome is what some poster call it.
    Until they do it to the wrong person.........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

On the way home through town yesterday, i went down some lane.. can not remember the name of it. It leads on to clonbrassil street i think.
    So when you get to the end there are 2 lanes of traffic (one way street). Traffic going right is queued up but not able to turn due to a jam on clonbrassil street.

Sounds like Long Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats the one... Long Lane.. i looked it up on google maps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Same goes for the muppets that believe it is their God given right to turn right from the left lane at a roundabout that has arrows saying both lanes are for straight ahead. These people should not be allowed too breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Traffic going right is queued up but not able to turn due to a jam on clonbrassil street
    If traffic was queuing up to turn right from Long Lane then they would be intending to enter New Street South. Clanbrassil Street Lower would be to the left. ;)

*removes anorack*

I didn't think there was enough room there for two lanes? I'm presuming that it's the junction at Farrell's Pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I've seen so many accidents there, and i've also seen a Garda pull someone for turning left from the right lane.
    Yesterday in fact on the Auburn roundabout i had a big ford galaxy or something in the right and indicate, they knew they should not be there as the slowed and hesitated and i went straight in front of it. Had they kept going they would have caused an accident.

I do not get it.. if they find they are in the wrong lane, like any time you find that on a roundabout.. just go around the roundabout and get it right next time. No need to tempt fate just to save a few seconds.

The thing is they know they're in the wrong lane here but they're doing it to beat the Q that is usually in the left lane. Theres no way they're going to waste all that time going around the roundabout. They'd rather put peoples lives at risk and take the chance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Anyway what is it with people giving you the finger as soon as you beep at them! They are in the wrong, surely they know that.. they could at least wave and say sorry but instead up goes the finger.. sometimes it stays up until you can no longer see them

Does my head in too. They screw up, you beep or flash so they will cop on and then you get the bird. Makes me not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

micmclo wrote: »
    It's because any coward can be brave in a car. Let me explain.

Imagine you are walking down a busy street and this women is in your way. If you ask her nicely, she'll move.
    Do the same thing in the car while driving and you'll get the finger.

If you ever cycle around Dublin you'll notice cars full of skangers will fire water bottles and roar abuse at you. I gurantee they won't do that on their own or if they are walking as they have no escape route.

The quietest and most meek person around can hop into a car and throw abuse at every motorist around them. Small man syndrome is what some poster call it.
    Until they do it to the wrong person.........:eek:

Like Eric Cantona:D By God I'm not a United fan but I cheered for him the day he crossed that barrier. The only pity is that it wasn't allowed to go the distance.

Anyway nobody is wrong nowadays. Even pedestrians have a special way of looking at you like a piece of sh1t if you dare to drive on 'their' road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TJJP wrote: »
    Does my head in too. They screw up, you beep or flash so
    On a similar topic, does anyone else find it frustrating when you are driving correctly and are in the correct lane but other motorists assume that you are a 'chancer' and cut you up?

A good example is at the Collin's Avenue junction with the N1 (beside Whitehall Church).

Traffic travelling westbound along Collin's Avenue and wishing to turn right onto the N1 (northbound) may use either of the two most right hand lanes. both lanes have a "turn right" arrow. However, many of the motorists on the extreme right lane assume that their lane is the only lane for making that right turn and, instead of turning right onto the right hand lane of the N1, they turn right onto the left lane and cut up those on the other lane. They then proceed with their silly sanctimonious attitude of having done their good deed for the day.

Aaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhh! :D

(Apologies for that little outburst! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

On a similar topic, does anyone else find it frustrating when you are driving correctly and are in the correct lane but other motorists assume that you are a 'chancer' and cut you up?

A good example is at the Collin's Avenue junction with the N1 (beside Whitehall Church).

Traffic travelling westbound along Collin's Avenue and wishing to turn right onto the N1 (northbound) may use either of the two most right hand lanes. both lanes have a "turn right" arrow. However, many of the motorists on the extreme right lane assume that their lane is the only lane for making that right turn and, instead of turning right onto the right hand lane of the N1, they turn right onto the left lane and cut up those on the other lane. They then proceed with their silly sanctimonious attitude of having done their good deed for the day.

Aaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhh! :D

(Apologies for that little outburst! :o)
    Happens on Mount Merrion Avenue turning onto the Stillorgan dual carriageway all the time as well. T-Junction, 2 lanes: the left is for going left OR right, the right is for going right. They've even erected a sign saying 'Traffic turning right use both lanes." But the amount of people who try to cut you off, and then after nearly ploughing into you blow their horn at you :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

saw a close one the other day at Tara St where it joins the quays. Car in second most left lane went to turn left down the quays, assuming the car in the left most would turn left and he would then turn on the oustide of it at the same time. Slight problem is that the left lane is not left turn only and the taxi was not turnign left. Nearly caused a pile up as the taxi had to slam on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

kida wrote: »
    Slight problem is that the left lane is not left turn only and the taxi was not turnign left. Nearly caused a pile up as the taxi had to slam on the brakes.

Is it really? I had a look on google maps but couldn't make it out. When I first read your post I thought it sounded like the usual taxi muppetry, but if that lane is left turn or straight on then it is plain mad. It's one of four lanes turning left into a three lane on the quays. No wonder the traffic on Pearse/Tara street is mad. Surely three ahead only lanes are enough?

Maybe we should start driving on the opposite side of the road. That would solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

TJJP wrote: »
    Is it really? I had a look on google maps but couldn't make it out. When I first read your post I thought it sounded like the usual taxi muppetry, but if that lane is left turn or straight on then it is plain mad. It's one of four lanes turning left into a three lane on the quays. No wonder the traffic on Pearse/Tara street is mad. Surely three ahead only lanes are enough?

Maybe we should start driving on the opposite side of the road. That would solve the problem.

See that every week! THe left lant is for either turning left or going straigh, the very far right lane is if you intend to turn right infront of Libery Hall. The other two middle lanes are for straight also.

Whats more annoying is the fact that there is a queue of cars in the left lane, and some chancer going along the "left" middle lane, and trys to force their way through. Grr get into the proper lane!!

Advertisement