Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Neglect in Galway?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there. Does anyone know anything about a couple of seemingly neglected horses situated in a "field" next to an old farm house at the junction of Old Rahoon Rd and Bothar Stiofan Rd, Galway. I have recently started taking a new route to and from work due to road works on the Rahoon Rd and I pass by them everyday. They look miserable...

They are outside day and night, with no available shelter from the changing elements. There never seems to be hay or water available and the poor things are trying to graze in this wet muddy patch which is completely stripped of grass. I'm sure standing in this for extended periods can damage their legs (mud fever). I could be mistaken and this may be how horses live during the winter months??? It seems completely wrong to me as they are innocent animals that are reliant on humans for food etc. when enclosed like this. I have never seen an owner attending to them :confused:. I would appreciate any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sec wrote: »
    Hi there. Does anyone know anything about a couple of seemingly neglected horses situated in a "field" next to an old farm house at the junction of Old Rahoon Rd and Bothar Stiofan Rd, Galway. I have recently started taking a new route to and from work due to road works on the Rahoon Rd and I pass by them everyday. They look miserable...
    Have they long faces?

I reckon this crowd should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »

What he said. Posting on an internet forum about poorly looking horses will do .... nothing

Either that go up and set them free! like free willy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Thanks for your replies. I tried the GSPCA and the Dept of Agriculture this morning. The latter were very helpful but as usual with the SPCA they didn't seem overly motivated to help and I got the usual we'll look into it.

The D.A. are sending someone out to visit the horses tommorrow (I hope) but it seems to be a long drawn out process between initially finding the owners and then taking action.

Sec wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I tried the GSPCA and the Dept of Agriculture this morning. The latter were very helpful but as usual with the SPCA they didn't seem overly motivated to help and I got the usual we'll look into it.

The D.A. are sending someone out to visit the horses tommorrow (I hope) but it seems to be a long drawn out process between initially finding the owners and then taking action.

Ring the GSPCA tomorrow and ask them if they have any update. Keep doing this. If you really care, call up with written logs of every time you called and say you'd like to hear what progress has been made.

Either that or just ring them up and tell them there's a knacker raping the horse as you speak... they'll be up in 10 mins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »

I typed that into my phone and hit the dial button but nothing happened! Think http isn't a valid dialling prefix or something....! :p

OP is there any sign of fodder or hay anywhere, in a corner maybe? Horses don't need shelter really, they're evolved to live outdoors. Whoever is looking after them would only need to check up on them every day or two, so you wouldn't necessarily see them when you're passing by. Water is more important, they should have a drinking source there whenever they need it. Are there any barrels/tanks, anything that could hold water?
    If you are genuinely concerned for their welfare, then do contact GSPCA immediately - they won't mind being called out for a false alarm, and will know much better than you if any neglect is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

This crowd might be able to help or advise you: http://www.ihwt.ie/
    The Irish Horse Welfare Trust, Charity No. CHY14634 was established in 1999 and gained charitable status in 2002. IHWT is involved in they following work:

Rescue, Rehabilitation & Re-homing of horses and ponies. Racehorse Re-training for Re-homing Programme.
    Campaigning on issues affecting Equines.
    Promoting Equine Welfare Awareness and Education

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Blimey, I think i know the ones you are on about! I think they have shelter, but you do have a point about them being neglected. I live on Bothar Stiofain, I do see them most days when i walk by but never really take any notice. Ill have a look 2morrow in the daylight. I know there is always a black sheepdog at the gate to their enterance.

Hi All,

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested;

I phoned the GSPCA this morning to find out if they had managed to call out to the farm house to check on the condition of the horses, after the woman in the office told me the previous day to leave it with her to deal with. So, when I asked her today if there was any progress, she didn't even seem to know what I was talking about. This was the same woman I talked to the day of my original complaint. She then told me that in our first conversation, she said for me to contact the Dept. of Agriculture; which she never actually did!

The woman in the GSPCA again said to leave it with her, that she would contact the Dept. of Agri. straight away, and that she would then call me back directly afterwards with information re. the case. She didn't do this and so I called her back this evening at 4:30. She asked me if the Dept. of Agri. contacted me, as this is how she left it with them. The Dept. of Agri. never contacted me either so in the end I had to contact them myself.

After a lot of ringing around within the Dept. of Agri, I eventually was put in contact with a particular woman. Seemingly, she did go and check on the horses. I think she's a vet. She agreed that their living conditions were unacceptable and that they had to be moved straight away. However, she couldn't find the owners, so guess what? It's now up to the Gardai to deal with!!!

The Dept. of Agri suggested that I call the Gardai myself, even though they wouldn't specify which garda deals with such cruelty cases because "of a confidentiality issue." I got talking to a garda in Mill Street Station about the problem. He was not in the slightest bit interested. His first suggestion was to talk to the GSPCA. When I said that I had, he then said to talk to someone in Salthill Garda Station. Fed up, I asked him if he could be a little more specific as to whom I should contact in the other garda station? He then proceeded to basically laugh down the phone at me! When I told him that I expected no less of the Gardai, he was shocked! He asked me what did I mean?

So as the matter stands now; the Gardai and the Dept. of Agri. have joined forces to help solve the case of the ownerless horses so that they can then...write a letter to her or him, asking them to be nice to their animals! Seriously.

People may feel that this is a miniscule matter, not worth the hassle. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but I like animals a lot and I hate to see them being mistreated. However, what annoys me the most is the "pass the buck" attitude of certain organisations. I was sent around in circles with them and none of them want to take responsibility. Are they afraid to do a bit of work? Is the remit of the GSPCA not to look after neglected animals? They said that because these were horses, it was up to the Dept. of Agri. They in turn said it was up to the Gardai and the gardai said it's up to the GSPCA.

I would love to help the animals myself but the people I spoke with said not to go on or near the land. I don't want to be done for trespassing and I don't want some farmer shooting me because he thinks I'm going to break into his house and rob him.

Funnily enough, one of the people I spoke with today said that it "wasn't a matter of life or death" for the animals even though at this stage that person hadn't even looked at them or seen the conditions they were in. I asked her if I should have waited until they were dead to call them? They might prefer that however so that they wouldn't have to deal with it???

And by the way, before loads of people start saying that the Gardai have better things to be doing; I never wanted to call them. I would never even have expected that the gardai would deal with these matters but it was the Dept. of Agriculture who told me to if I wanted to try and get somewhere with this animal cruelty case!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you got the run around and no one was bothered to do anything.
    Methinks its time now for the good ol' bad publicity trick - call the Galway Independent/Advertiser/some other local rag. Tell them about it and how no one would do anything. If there's a story in it for them they'll run with it, I bet you'll see some action then ;)

heh, should have said "Ah ye'd know the pigs get treated much better on the farm anyhow" to the Garda - his reaction would have been priceless!

Fair play for keeping at it, you should log all your calls/dealings and blog them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ring up the dep. on monday and say that the horses are foaming and have blisters in their mouths, also blisters on there hoofs and are gone lame. This case will be sorted within the hour!

skelliser wrote: »
    ring up the dep. on monday and say that the horses are foaming and have blisters in their mouths, also blisters on there hoofs and are gone lame. This case will be sorted within the hour!

Ehh, no, please don't do that. They'll only bloody cull them "as a precaution". He's trying to save the horses.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Where exactly are these horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

She said it in her first post...
    "the junction of Old Rahoon Rd and Bothar Stiofan Rd"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it just me or are Galway people ignorant of horses? I was up in Cuba last week with my horse, had just bought us a pint each and then the bouncer goes and throws him out. For no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The horses seem to have been moved (Went for a walk this morning) There are 2 or 3 cows there now looking sorry for themselves. There is a house next to the yard the horses are in. A black collie dog is also there or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The reason I asked was cos when I went for a gawk they weren't there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

The reason I asked was cos when I went for a gawk they weren't there. Thanks

Me too.
    Must take a stroll by again and see.
    Maybe something's been done about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yes I thought I noticed that henchys had a new batch of home made glue...

Advertisement