Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tip for longterm carparks

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just a tip for people going on holidays and leaving their car parked in a place for 2 weeks or whatever.

Friend of mine does this and i do it meself also. Basically you just loosen two of the spark leads, pop them off and back on but without contact. The car won't start and generally it'll take so long to figure whats up a thief won't bother.

You can could also up a small piece piece of plastic there, any way to break the connection.

So after they've defeated the anti theft features of the car, it still won't start !

It stopped my bike getting stolen, they managed to get 10 yards and the thing wouldnt go any more ! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

craichoe wrote: »

It stopped my bike getting stolen, they managed to get 10 yards and the thing wouldnt go any more ! :)

I like your idea but I don't think it realy applies to bikes as a lot of bikes thieves will just lift it into a van.
    Good idea nonetheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

could take out the fuse for the fuel pump! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

monster1 wrote: »
    could take out the fuse for the fuel pump! :)

Tried that, but it was too damn fiddley on my old astra, frikking fuse panel is annoying to get off, and its hard to find the right one ! lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

craichoe wrote: »
    Hey

Just a tip for people going on holidays and leaving their car parked in a place for 2 weeks or whatever.

Friend of mine does this and i do it meself also. Basically you just loosen two of the spark leads, pop them off and back on but without contact. The car won't start and generally it'll take so long to figure whats up a thief won't bother.

You can could also up a small piece piece of plastic there, any way to break the connection.

So after they've defeated the anti theft features of the car, it still won't start !

Good tip if not a little old, I remember my Dad doing this with his old cortinas
    about 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Right, now where's the spark plugs located on my diesel?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Right, now where's the spark plugs located on my diesel?! :D

Nahh, ya gotta bring a few tools and disconnect your injectors !! :)
    Better still remove the fuel tank and take it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CPG wrote: »
    Good tip if not a little old, I remember my Dad doing this with his old cortinas about 30 years ago.
    Another one was to take the rotor arm out of the distributor and pop it in your pocket. You'd have to make sure not to lose it though :) BTW Sorry to appear dim, but do cars even have mechanical distributors these days, or are they all electronic now (I've got a diesel, otherwise I'd pop out and take a look!) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Try this for added peace of mind:

police_wheel_clamps_high_security.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

CPG wrote: »
    Nahh, ya gotta bring a few tools and disconnect your injectors !! :)
    Better still remove the fuel tank and take it with you

I might just get the bus. It's cheaper and takes me right to the door

Advertisement