Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugarloaf

• 07-02-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi!
    Not sure if this is the right forum but my friend and I want to climb the Sugarloaf this weekend but don't know where the starting point is - can anyone tell me?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Poco Loco wrote: »
    Hi!
    Not sure if this is the right forum but my friend and I want to climb the Sugarloaf this weekend but don't know where the starting point is - can anyone tell me?!

From the N11 at the kilmacanouge exit take the road to roundwood or if coming from enniskerry take the road to kilmacanouge and turn onto the roundwood road.You are looking for calary which is about 3 1/2 miles from kilmacanouge and marked by the old derilict calary service station.It is at the top of a hill of the roundwood road from kilmacanouge after the roadstone site. There is a trun left just after the derilict servcie station.Take this and you should see the sugarloaf in front of you and only 100 yards on your left is the carpark and one of very few starting points. Alternatively stay on the N11 and take the glen of the downs exit and head up the hill until you find the calary.Or if you have a GPS use this to get west (via roads ) of the mountain and you will find the entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

pirelli wrote: »
    Alternatively stay on the N11 and take the glen of the downs exit and head up the hill until you find the calary.

This is the best option. Get off the N11 at the Glen View Hotel. Head up the steep hill (don't go into the hotel) and follow the road for about 10minutes. This will bring you to the base of the Sugar Loaf. You will see lots of cars parked.

Have fun. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DONK!

would it take 2 days to climb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

the sugar loaf can be climbed in about 40 minutes. Its really a trifling mountain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Anyone wishing to enjoy Wicklow I suggest go to Eason's and buy a bokklet called "Wicklow Way Walks". It's about €6 and in full colour and gives a selection of walks all over the county of varying degrees of difficulty but all with the same start/finish points. Great for the casual walker and families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

Great, thanks a million for all of this. Had to cancel this weekend but hoping to climb it next weekend. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

good views from the top of the little sugarloaf as well - exit N11 at Kilmacanogue and find the small road that goes over to windgates.

It was cancelled..(hoping) after all that. Giving directions by virtual technology although a permanent form of communication isnt as good as the real thing.
    ASK when you get there.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Poco Loco wrote: »
    Hi!

The Bottome, Where the Granite stones end. Theres 2 ways.
    The steep way or the less steep way. Its more walking around it to get to the top.:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

DONK! wrote: »

LOL, two day!!! not at all, it actually takes longer to climb bray head then sugar loaf

DONK! wrote: »

There was a party that got lost on the sugarloaf mountain, it took them 2 days to get back down. But that was in cork. Henceforth we shall refer to the sugar loaf on this thread as the Great Sugarloaf.

Which Mountain are you reffering too.Sugarloaf mountain east wicklow or west wicklow ireland or Cork ireland or maryland usa or Carrabassett Valley, Maine, usa or Rio de Janeiro , Brazil.

All of these mountains could be climbed in a day some in 2.

Sugarloaf Mountain is a mountain south-west of Glengarriff in County Cork, Ireland. One of the Caha Mountains, its height is 574 metres and is the 319th highest summit in Ireland [1]. It is popularly thought to be one of Ireland's few extinct volcanos but is actually owes to erosion

Another thread on the subject.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123245

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pirelli wrote: »
    we shall refer to the sugar loaf on this thread as the Great Sugarloaf.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123245

err..... not to be Pedantic but it's called BIG sugarloaf and the other one is little sugarloaf:o

irishbird wrote: »
    err..... not to be Pedantic but it's called BIG sugarloaf and the other one is little sugarloaf:o
    Well, according to the Ordnance Survey it's called the Great Sugarloaf.

2jb32b8.jpg

That's correct from a field perspective it is and the reason for that is to differentiate with respect to the small one.

"I am exhausted I just ran crosscountry which went right across the sugarloafs. The big sugarloaf was steeper than the little sugarloaf. "

"I am exhausted I just ran crosscountry which went right across the sugarloafs. The great sugarloaf was steeper than the little sugarloaf."

Did you really think you were being pedantic more just being an @$$. You can call it the big sugarloaf if it suits you too, I call it all sorts of names when people are not around particulalry when im climbing it & out of breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

Which Mountain are you reffering too.Sugarloaf mountain east wicklow or west wicklow ireland or Cork ireland or maryland usa or Carrabassett Valley, Maine, usa or Rio de Janeiro , Brazil.

Seeing as this is the Wicklow forum........:D

As a matter of interest though,can you tell me where the one in west Wicklow is please?

As a matter of interest though,can you tell me where the one in west Wicklow is please?

About 1.5km south west of Lobawn at S 968 965 approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

LOL, two day!!! not at all, it actually takes longer to climb bray head then sugar loaf

You will see people pushing buggies up the Sugarloaf, it really is not that challenging!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RICH KID

I got to the Gaa pitch af Kilmac and thought 'great im here and that that was handy to find' then i went to climb and spent the next 2.5hrs going up down around and back n forth trying to find a way up, load of crap so i left and climbed thd bray head.. The little suger loaf is well signposted but there is not one sign directing you to the big Sugerloaf , i will go back again in a week or so and try all over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

RICH KID wrote: »
    I got to the Gaa pitch af Kilmac and thought 'great im here and that that was handy to find' then i went to climb and spent the next 2.5hrs going up down around and back n forth trying to find a way up, load of crap so i left and climbed thd bray head.. The little suger loaf is well signposted but there is not one sign directing you to the big Sugerloaf , i will go back again in a week or so and try all over again..
    You just keep driving past Kilmac and rocky valley and on the left is an old little building (used to be s garage) and it's the left after that. Basically you need to get to the back of it to climb up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

calary-cb-sale3.jpg?w=620

PS You should buy an OS map and try not to be quite as helpless. Sheet 16 is the map you want - I think.

Of course, in their infinite wisdom, the OSI have now changed their map numbers - utterly at random -and the one you want is shown below.

OSI_weatherproof_56-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

RICH KID wrote: »
    foxy06 wrote: »
    You just keep driving past Kilmac and rocky valley and on the left is an old little building (used to be s garage) and it's the left after that. Basically you need to get to the back of it to climb up.
    The GAA pitch route is way nicer and is a proper walk with a bit of nature instead of a 30 minute trudge up and down a bare rock trail.

I dont know how you missed the path up though you must have been very unlucky. Beside the GAA pitch theres a private house, walk towards that from the road like you're going to knock on their door and you'll see the trail on the left half way between the house and the GAA building, stick to that trail and it will take you to the top, it is impossible to miss it and you can see your destination from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Of course, in their infinite wisdom, the OSI have now changed their map numbers - utterly at random -and the one you want is shown below.

OSI_weatherproof_56-500x500.jpg
    This was changed more than 20 years ago!!
    I've got 2nd edition sheet 56 published in 1994.

I scarcely remember sheet 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

axe2grind wrote: »
    This was changed more than 20 years ago!!
    I've got 2nd edition sheet 56 published in 1994.

I scarcely remember sheet 16.

That sounds about right - I had it at school and still have it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for walking in the local area this is a decent map (even has the Sugarloaf on the cover):

http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/wicklow-east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If you are well able-bodied, climbing the Sugar Loaf is not too tricky. I had done the short route twice from the south cra park but the first time that I parked up at the GAA ground I hadn't a clue which way the tracks were running. I followed the track under the car barrier southwards, past the barking dog and through the over-grown areas. I walked a fair bit southwards and realised that I wasn't actually going upwards, just around the mountain. i didn't want to meet the car park at the south so I decided to take a general route straight up. Fantastic workout for the legs! Some loose rocks on the way up so just needed to be careful as I went.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement