Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Neglect in Galway?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there. Does anyone know anything about a couple of seemingly neglected horses situated in a "field" next to an old farm house at the junction of Old Rahoon Rd and Bothar Stiofan Rd, Galway. I have recently started taking a new route to and from work due to road works on the Rahoon Rd and I pass by them everyday. They look miserable...

They are outside day and night, with no available shelter from the changing elements. There never seems to be hay or water available and the poor things are trying to graze in this wet muddy patch which is completely stripped of grass. I'm sure standing in this for extended periods can damage their legs (mud fever). I could be mistaken and this may be how horses live during the winter months??? It seems completely wrong to me as they are innocent animals that are reliant on humans for food etc. when enclosed like this. I have never seen an owner attending to them confused.gif. I would appreciate any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sec wrote: »
    They are outside day and night, with no available shelter from the changing elements. There never seems to be hay or water available and the poor things are trying to graze in this wet muddy patch which is completely stripped of grass. I'm sure standing in this for extended periods can damage their legs (mud fever). I could be mistaken and this may be how horses live during the winter months??? It seems completely wrong to me as they are innocent animals that are reliant on humans for food etc. when enclosed like this. I have never seen an owner attending to them confused.gif. I would appreciate any info!

Are they thin? Do they have any visible ailments?

The lack of shelter wouldnt worry me so much, its food and water and general condition I'd be looking for. It doesnt sound good, but its possible that they're getting fed at a different time of day to when you pass.

Perhaps call your local spca out to have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Thanks for your replies. I tried the GSPCA and the Dept of Agriculture this morning. The latter were very helpful but as usual with the SPCA they didn't seem overly motivatedto help and I got the usual we'll look into it.

The D.A. are sending someone out to visit the horses tommorrow (I hope) but it seems to be a long drawn out process between initially finding the owners and then taking action.

They don't seem to be noticeably underweight though so you could be right, they may be getting fed & watered at a certain time of the day. The whole setting just looks pretty miserable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Horses should have a barrel of water at all times. They must be so thirsty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

They should be having hay this time of year .

• Advertisement
Advertisement