Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

just saw a dog get creamed by a car

• 07-02-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

walking back from the shops there I saw two big dogs unsupervised in a field near my house - one of them shot straight out onto the road and got smashed by an oncoming car. The driver had no chance, the entrance to the park is hidden, he wouldn't have seen it at all. The poor dog had no chance. Why the hell do people let their dogs run around like this? Owner was nowhere to be seen, and the other dog went tearing down the road, which leads me to believe their house wasn't close. I'll have to keep an eye out for posters looking for a lost boxer. To make things worse, there was a load of schoolies walking home who saw the whole thing.

what a horrible start to the day :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Damn, sorry you had to witness something like that. Its horrendous.

A dog got knocked down and killed outside my house a few months back, and while I don't agree on dogs running loose I live in a housing estate, and my road is a 'no through road' and here's my thinking on this..

If a motorist is going so fast that he/she can not stop in time to avoid knocking down and killing a dog, they (the motorist) wouldn't have been able to react fast enough had it been a child instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, Mairt, fair point. I don't think it was lost on the driver either, he was white as a sheet - I think he'll count himself lucky later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

That's horrible! This would not happen if it wasn't for irresponsible owners...:mad: I was at the vet earlier today and a dog was brought in that had been hit by a car I could barely look at him too upsetting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I lost my dog last year to a jeep....:mad: On a country lane where only us and 3 farmers drove - sorry raced. Farmer saw me, Froggy was coming to me then got ran over....... farmer raced off, leaving me there with Froggy and a 16 mth old in the middle of nowhere with no transport..... am I irresponsible?

It's a heartwrenching sound - a dog getting run over....

am I irresponsible?

with respect, it's a completely different situation. I would say that you were unlucky. But the dog that got hit today was roaming around without any supervision whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

I lost my dog last year to a jeep....:mad: On a country lane where only us and 3 farmers drove - sorry raced. Farmer saw me, Froggy was coming to me then got ran over....... farmer raced off, leaving me there with Froggy and a 16 mth old in the middle of nowhere with no transport..... am I irresponsible?

It's a heartwrenching sound - a dog getting run over....

Were you walking your dog on the road with no lead??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Friend of mine ran over a dog once, it was on a lead but the owner was letting it run onto the road. There was oncoming traffic and cars behind him so he ran over the dog. The owner went mad, her own fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Awww, I'm sad now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It always makes me sad. Some family somewhere has just lost a member of the household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Aw that's awful :( Poor dog, and poor children that saw it all too.
    Good god tulipandthistle, that's awful, he just drove on? horrible altogether.

Have lost quite a few pets to car accidents over the years (all cats BTW, and they're virtually impossible to keep in check as they'll just climb any fence etc) as I used to live on a very quiet country road, and then some git would come barrelling along out of nowhere and smush the cat, I mean if a child was running out on the road they'd not be able to stop in time either :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Poor dog, that's awful. I saw a poor little JRT dead on the side of the road the other day on the way up to Cork. I agree about the drivers going too fast though, driving is pretty horrendous in general sometimes, I think when I start driving I will be going at about 20mph because I'll be paranoid about squishing some animal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Irresponsible dog owners!! I love the way people always churn this one out everytime a dog does something!

Dog fights with another dog, its the owners fault.
    Dog bites somebody, it's the owners fault.
    Dog runs in front of a car, it's the owners fault.
    Dog steals your mother in laws slippers, your fault.

Bullsh!t!!!

They're feckin dogs not robots, they only do what you tell them to do because they choose to and every now and then they choose not to listen to you. This makes you an irresponsible dog owner! Well according to some people anyway!:mad: It must be great to be perfect:rolleyes:

Well the fact that the dog was out on its own kinda does point to an irresponsable owner. Accidents do happen but I think in this case the owner was at fault in all fairness.

Well the fact that the dog was out on its own kinda does point to an irresponsable owner. Accidents do happen but I think in this case the owner was at fault in all fairness.

Is it not possible that the dog ignored it's owners calls and ran off with another dog and there were two responsible owners out there looking for their dogs, sadly one of those owners will find that their pet/ friend made a fatal mistake. People are always so quick to think the worst and point the finger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Vinnie K wrote: »
    Were you walking your dog on the road with no lead??

I was out with Froggy in front of my house on a very quiet country lane. At that time there shouldn't have been farmers anymore, otherwise Froggy was usually on the lead. When she wasn't on the lead she listened very well indeed, we lived in a very busy city before we came here, so she knew to stay away from traffic.
    In this situation it is awful for everyone involved.... I hope the images don't stay for too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Ah the poor dogs :( I just missed creaming a fox this morning, he was a lucky guy! A second later he'd have been under my wheels, and I'm only driving a few weeks so that would have been the mother of all shocks...
    Busy road with hedges at each side and there was no way I could have anticipated that, he shot straight across the road in front of me and a driver coming the other way.

Phew :o

People are always so quick to think the worst and point the finger!

No, the owners were not there. If the dogs had run off, they would have seen them, you don't know the area I'm talking about. I promise you, the dogs were not out on walks, they were out alone. Still, fair play to you for giving the owners the benefit of the doubt. I would argue that their negligence caused the death of their animal, and could have been worse if that driver had swerved and hit the kids. But hey, we all have our opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mairt wrote: »
    If a motorist is going so fast that he/she can not stop in time to avoid knocking down and killing a dog, they (the motorist) wouldn't have been able to react fast enough had it been a child instead.
    Bit of a sweeping statement to make.

Children can't move as quickly as dogs and aren't as low-profile therefore are easier to see. If your child is that low profile then it shouldn't be out on its own.

There's also an expectation on main roads that animals or children won't just appear from nowhere, that their owners would keep them under control. If the same thing happened on a motorway, sure you could say, "If you weren't going so fast..." but then what in God's name would a dog or a child be doing on a motorway?

While in principle I wouldn't say "Always keep your animals supervised or locked up", much like children it depends on the behaviour/temperament of the animal. Some dogs are perfectly able to roam on their own, others are more excitable. We used to let our dog out into a (fenced) field in front of the house. We knew she wouldn't stray from the field and it was a cul-de-sac with plenty of kids so people weren't flying.
    Out on the main road, she didn't need a lead but wore one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Irresponsible dog owners!! I love the way people always churn this one out everytime a dog does something!

Dog fights with another dog, its the owners fault.
    Dog bites somebody, it's the owners fault.
    Dog runs in front of a car, it's the owners fault.
    Dog steals your mother in laws slippers, your fault.

It is !CONTROL OF DOGS ACT sees to that.

Squiggle wrote: »
    It is !CONTROL OF DOGS ACT sees to that.

And for people to be considered irresponsible under the Control of Dogs act they must be go before a judge and be convicted before sentancing. Here everybody is guilty without question:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

so you think the dog's owner was being responsible do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

dudara wrote: »
    It always makes me sad. Some family somewhere has just lost a member of the household.

QFT

I saw the thread title and just thought "jesus!! :( "

How do you know he was irresponsible. Dogs run away from their owners everyday of the week, no matter how well trained they are. Dogs get lost. Dog may have escaped. Could be any number of reasons. Accidents happen doesn't make people bad or irresponsible. You shouldn't make that statement till you know all the facts. Innocent till proven guilty is the way the law works i believe. :)

ok, yeah, I take your point, the dogs may have escaped and if that were the case, I feel for the owners.

Well I'd hold myself responsible if my dog escaped and got hit by a car. The only way a dog will escape is if someone leaves a door or gate open. You have to be responsible for your dogs well being by making sure the gate is closed.;)

And for people to be considered irresponsible under the Control of Dogs act they must be go before a judge and be convicted before sentancing. Here everybody is guilty without question:rolleyes:.

A dog warden doesn't have to go anywhere near a judge to issue an on the spot fine if your dog is not under your control - you are a de facto law breaker if this is the case.

Well I'd hold myself responsible if my dog escaped and got hit by a car. The only way a dog will escape is if someone leaves a door or gate open. You have to be responsible for your dogs well being by making sure the gate is closed.;)

Or if somebody else leaves it open or the wind blows it down or the dog eats through it or you have one of these dogs that thinks he is Houdini. I hope life is kind to you Laura and you never lose a dog accidentally, christ knows how you would torture yourself!;):)

How do you know he was irresponsible. Dogs run away from their owners everyday of the week, no matter how well trained they are. Dogs get lost. Dog may have escaped. Could be any number of reasons. Accidents happen doesn't make people bad or irresponsible. You shouldn't make that statement till you know all the facts. Innocent till proven guilty is the way the law works i believe. :)

Inherently contradictory statements. A responsible owner will make sure his dog doesn't escape, get lost etc. because the dog will be kept in a secure, contained area to ensure that these events don't and can't happen.

Inherently contradictory statements. A responsible owner will make sure his dog doesn't escape, get lost etc. because the dog will be kept in a secure, contained area to ensure that these events don't and can't happen.

Yes, in a perfect world. Now welcome to the real world, not as pretty as that one your living in:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A dog warden doesn't have to go anywhere near a judge to issue an on the spot fine if your dog is not under your control - you are a de facto law breaker if this is the case.

An on the spot fine is not a conviction. Still innocent till proven guity. Guilt can only be proven in court, paying an on the spot fine is admission of guilt however. And paying an on the spot fine also saves the suspect from a possible conviction in court. If a case is deemed serious it is then taken sraight to court and the on the spot fine is not used. On the spot fines are more for your dog sh1ting in public and it not being cleaned up.

Advertisement