Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just saw a dog get creamed by a car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Or if somebody else leaves it open or the wind blows it down or the dog eats through it or you have one of these dogs that thinks he is Houdini. I hope life is kind to you Laura and you never lose a dog accidentally, christ knows how you would torture yourself!;):)

Well when we got our first dog, we made sure our back garden was secure. Theres no way that my dogs could get out and in the 14 years I've had the oldest and the 8 years I've had my other fella they've never gotten out once. Mostly because we always make sure the gates are closed and they are safe. And you are right, I wouldnt forgive myself if something happened to them due to me forgetting to do something as trivial as close a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Yes, in a perfect world. Now welcome to the real world, not as pretty as that one your living in:rolleyes:

Nope, nothing to do with a perfect world at all - like many others out there I'm just a responsible dog owner. Just as well in the op it was only a dog that got creamed and not some child, had the driver swerved to avoid the dog and mounted a foot path - would hate to have blood on my hands because I was an irresponsible dog owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Mod edit: Distasteful comment removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Squiggle wrote: »
    Nope, nothing to do with a perfect world at all - like many others out there I'm just a responsible dog owner. Just as well in the op it was only a dog that got creamed and not some child, had the driver swerved to avoid the dog and mounted a foot path - would hate to have blood on my hands because I was an irresponsible dog owner.

Why stop there? Lets add a little more drama, the car swerves mounts the foot path and crashes into little Tommies 6th birthday party in McDonalds, all 10 of Tommies friends are killed he cries every birthday afterwards.:D:rolleyes:
    I'm sure you will never lose any of your dogs and they will never run away or do anything wrong. So you will never have to worry about the blood of little Tommies friends on your hands. :rolleyes:
    I've got an idea, lets all go to the lost and found forum and see if anybody has lost a dog and then we can call all those that have, bad, irresponsible dog owners and tell them how they don't deserve to get their dog back.:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:What do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, on the subject of responsible owners -

I know a woman who has had dogs for years and is without a doubt one of the best dog owners/handlers I have met. On her land they have purpose built kennels and enclosures and then around their land they have fencing. She had her dogs out running around their garden (supervised) and somehow her large male broke through the fence followed closely by the small bitch. Both raced off before she even registered what had happened. They were only gone a min (she had ran in to get her car keys, and was getting into her car) Then she heard shouts, followed by gunshots and a yelp. Dogs came thundering back through the fence. One was limping, he wasn't shot but had torn a ligament. She was lucky that time. So what I'm saying is even the most responsible owners can have dogs escape, depending on the dog and the circumstances. She almost lost one of her boys and it was only luck (and bad aim) that saved him. I would defy anybody to know this woman and say she is irresponsible with her pets.

• Advertisement

Why stop there? Lets add a little more drama, the car swerves mounts the foot path and crashes into little Tommies 6th birthday party in McDonalds, all 10 of Tommies friends are killed he cries every birthday afterwards.:D:rolleyes

Well, stinger on little Tommie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Hi, on the subject of responsible owners -

I know a woman who has had dogs for years and is without a doubt one of the best dog owners/handlers I have met. On her land they have purpose built kennels and enclosures and then around their land they have fencing. She had her dogs out running around their garden (supervised) and somehow her large male broke through the fence followed closely by the small bitch. Both raced off before she even registered what had happened. They were only gone a min (she had ran in to get her car keys, and was getting into her car) Then she heard shouts, followed by gunshots and a yelp. Dogs came thundering back through the fence. One was limping, he wasn't shot but had torn a ligament. She was lucky that time. So what I'm saying is even the most responsible owners can have dogs escape, depending on the dog and the circumstances. She almost lost one of her boys and it was only luck (and bad aim) that saved him. I would defy anybody to know this woman and say she is irresponsible with her pets.
    Thanks Helena, thats exactly the kind of person i'm trying to defend, it happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Well I'd hold myself responsible if my dog escaped and got hit by a car. The only way a dog will escape is if someone leaves a door or gate open. You have to be responsible for your dogs well being by making sure the gate is closed.;)

Or if someone breaks into your house while you're out and you get home to find the front door swinging wide open and your previously happily secured dogs missing? That's happened to a couple of people I know.

Or if (and this one has happened to me) overnight a herd of cattle has smashed through the fence at the corner of your 2 acre property and you've let your dogs out for a pee the next morning. First you know of a problem is 3 minutes later when you go to let them back in and discover a garden filled with cow pats but empty of dogs.
    That one scared the bejesus out of me. Though not as badly as coming face to face with a herd of *bigger* black and white things did to the Great Dane :D
    Obviously I'm an irresponsible owner because it never once occurred to me to think that a marauding herd of cattle would be intent on a dawn strike on my land and to plan accordingly. :rolleyes: I was thinking I had to keep my dogs *in* not the big coo beasties *out* :rolleyes:

Accidents happen. We can only do our best to minimise the risk.

And with regard to the original topic - I've stopped at the scene of a similar accident and moved the dog in off the road & stayed with him while he died. It's heartbreaking. :( I did call my own vet to arrange an emergency visit but it was obvious after a few mins that the dog wouldn't make it. The poor lady that hit the dog I stopped to help was distraught too.

Rest in peace doggie.

hadook wrote: »
    Or if someone breaks into your house while you're out and you get home to find the front door swinging wide open and your previously happily secured dogs missing? That's happened to a couple of people I know.

I doubt this is how this situation arose. And I mentioned earlier that accidents do happen but I wouldnt say this was the case in this situation, as with most dogs that are knocked down.

Also, I'd say that was a very funny sight that great dane discovering he was not the "biggest thing" ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

On the subject of responsible dog owners, I was out walking earlier and a labrador pup, about 6-7 months old was wandering around and decided to follow me home (despite me shouting at it quite a lot) The dog was running back and forth across a busy road and was nearly run over several times. It followed me right to my front door - god knows where it is now. I have seen this dog out loose on the road on many occasions - it is the most irresponsible example of dog ownership i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Mairt wrote: »

If a motorist is going so fast that he/she can not stop in time to avoid knocking down and killing a dog, they (the motorist) wouldn't have been able to react fast enough had it been a child instead.

Agreed.

Advertisement