Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Warm Fuzzy Glow

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

First off I didn't really know where to put this as there's no 'Praise Boards Thread' so I decided this might be the best place to put this. With so much cynicism and bitching on boards sometimes I just wanted to say that sometimes I'm blown away at how 'nice' people can be and how it restores my faith in humanity.

The tech guy where I work put custom firmware on my PSP before he left to work elsewhere and to be honest I never used the extra features and wanted to go back to offical firmware. I tried to do this but couldn't get rid of the custom firmware so I posted a thead here asking for some help with my problem and a few people responded. Ongarite was particuarly helpful as you can see and as it wasn't really working out on thread we exchanged Messenger details to speed up the process.
    We were getting nowhere as I just couldn't seem to ditch the custom firmware and eventually at 2AM that night Ongarite had to call it a night as it just wasn't happening. Can you believe the guy stayed up til 2am trying to help me solve my problem.
    So he told me that he was going to be in town the following day and that he would meet me at my workplace and he would try and fix the problem then. He brought a few 'tools' and he did indeed fix the problem for me.

He tried to help me on thread, he stayed up 'til all hours trying to fix the problem and when that didn't work he came into town and fixed it for me in person. And what did he want/charge in return for all this........ nothing. Absolutely nothing. The chap wouldn't take anything from me, other than to say he liked the challenge.

Now I don't know about you but does that not make you feel better about boards? I don't know the guy, I only dealt with him once before through adverts but is this not a case of true boards spirit?

I just felt I had to share this with you guys.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loon! :p

Well done that man, I'd have bailed out with an appology at about midnight. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've come across a few really genuine, kind and giving people on boards and I'm often surprised that there's so many good people out there. This story has really cheered me up. I'm having a bad boards day and it's nice to hear stories like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

<3 Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

+1 to some amazing boardsies.
    I had tickets to a U2 show in Manchester a couple of years ago, but had to come home that morning for a funeral. I was gutted I missed the show and posted about it somewhere here (I originally was gonna post a review of the gig in Manchester...alas).
    Anyway, I got a PM from an uber-kind boardsie (you know who you are, and thank you) and he offered me two tickets (spare face value) to one of the sold Croke Park gigs on later that month.
    I'll never ever forget that.
    Thank you again
    :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know I'm great, so I should have both parachutes :D

Anyway, there are some really helpful people around alright. The on-going saga that is a self built PC can be a troublesome time for any tech head and the lads and ladies on the Building & Upgrading board are a fine example of people going above and beyond the call of duty to try and help out a nerd in need.

Of course, each board has it's own little community of people attached to it and it's great when these communities help each other out and give time because they can and not because they have to.

So here's to the good samaratins of boards.ie!

Hip-hip.... \o/

edit: posted at my Mo-Bo's FSB Speed :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, I've come across a few areas where people are just endlessly helpful. The wireless forum is always great, whenever I've had problems, the guys in there offer no end of advice, and they're always spot on. The Diet & Nutrition forum is wonderful too, there's a few posters who offer continuous great advice.

It's lovely to see posters really go out of their way to help someone. It takes time to write a long response and I really appreciate the effort that others go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Boards.ie is not perfect, and TBH I've had a few run-in's with people here, but 99% of my interaction with the people on this site has been fantastic. I've received a lot of help here whether it was with various IT queries, building/DIY issues, and most recently buying a car. I've also tried to give help/advice when I've been able.

Definitely somewhere I visit whenever I'm online.

Brilliant site ... brilliant community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Feels a bit strange coming in here but anyway.
    I have had 2 dealings in person with eo980 now and its been a pleasure. Its nice to meet a fellow boardsie in person every now and then also.

Have to say also, the majority of people who use this forum are extremely helpful and knowledgible. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really do love that about boards. One day I could post on one of the tech forums helping someone out, and then the next day I could need something and ask a question somewhere else and someone else would help me out. It's kinda like that pay it forward film :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

stevenmu wrote: »
    I really do love that about boards. One day I could post on one of the tech forums helping someone out, and then the next day I could need something and ask a question somewhere else and someone else would help me out. It's kinda like that pay it forward film :)

Course if it was on adverts it would be paypal it forward!

Coat got, taxi hailed!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hug.bmp
    Feeling the love.

PS. Hows the head, Dev? This must be making you dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

KtK wrote: »

Indeed it's not the typical Feedback thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'll tell you what I love - when somebody, sometimes at the end of their tether, posts in the LTI forum and gets a reply that tells them "you're not alone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

*wipes tear* Sorry..just eh.. something in my eye. ;_; Seriously though, boards is an excellent resource for so many areas. Respect to my Bargain Alert brothers. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

KtK wrote: »
    Hug.bmp
    Feeling the love.

Clearly my DNS is caching the wrong ip for this site. Sorry all, I will go back to my usual den of infighting and cynicism.

Actually its funny, I see that kind of thing a lot more regularly then you might think. Its really good to see it too, kinda makes it all worthwhile.
    Plus the Boards-kids.... the kids, people who are in the world today because their parents met through boards. Thats a very weird feeling...

So, coming up to our 10th anniversay.... hugz all! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Happiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm met some of my best mates on the Photography forum.

+1 for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

LolCatRenderer-30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SNYPER!!

Read the thread BEFORE posting the lolcat!! :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

LOL

i <3 boards

theres loadsa nice peoples, recent niceness mention is to gadgetman496 for stayin on for ages early in the morning and helping me with computer problems, and Ruu for the R.A.M advice.

strange feelings stirring inside Nerin.....

urgh...

:D

<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kharn wrote: »
    I know I'm great, so I should have both parachutes :D

Anyway, there are some really helpful people around alright. The on-going saga that is a self built PC can be a troublesome time for any tech head and the lads and ladies on the Building & Upgrading board are a fine example of people going above and beyond the call of duty to try and help out a nerd in need.

Of course, each board has it's own little community of people attached to it and it's great when these communities help each other out and give time because they can and not because they have to.

So here's to the good samaratins of boards.ie!

Hip-hip.... \o/

edit: posted at my Mo-Bo's FSB Speed :D
    Some good folk there.
    They tried to help me with my problem, but then I got distracted and haven't got back to the thread yet.
    I might actually try to resolve it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eo980 wrote: »
    First off I didn't really know where to put this as there's no 'Praise Boards Thread' so I decided this might be the best place to put this. With so much cynicism and bitching on boards sometimes I just wanted to say that sometimes I'm blown away at how 'nice' people can be and how it restores my faith in humanity.

The tech guy where I work put custom firmware on my PSP before he left to work elsewhere and to be honest I never used the extra features and wanted to go back to offical firmware. I tried to do this but couldn't get rid of the custom firmware so I posted a thead here asking for some help with my problem and a few people responded. Ongarite was particuarly helpful as you can see and as it wasn't really working out on thread we exchanged Messenger details to speed up the process.
    We were getting nowhere as I just couldn't seem to ditch the custom firmware and eventually at 2AM that night Ongarite had to call it a night as it just wasn't happening. Can you believe the guy stayed up til 2am trying to help me solve my problem.
    So he told me that he was going to be in town the following day and that he would meet me at my workplace and he would try and fix the problem then. He brought a few 'tools' and he did indeed fix the problem for me.

He tried to help me on thread, he stayed up 'til all hours trying to fix the problem and when that didn't work he came into town and fixed it for me in person. And what did he want/charge in return for all this........ nothing. Absolutely nothing. The chap wouldn't take anything from me, other than to say he liked the challenge.

Now I don't know about you but does that not make you feel better about boards? I don't know the guy, I only dealt with him once before through adverts but is this not a case of true boards spirit?

I just felt I had to share this with you guys.

dont worry.

we will have this *nice* user removed from the database by midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

snyper wrote: »
    i am a muppet

do shut up.

Sorry for Misquoting you snyper.

Ok.

Apology accepted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

One day, one glorious day, you'll actually post something that I'll thank myself for taking the time to read.

One day, one glorious day, you'll actually post something that I'll thank myself for taking the time to read.

Not likely, Antiques are not my fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

DeVore wrote: »
    Clearly my DNS is caching the wrong ip for this site. Sorry all, I will go back to my usual den of infighting and cynicism.

Actually its funny, I see that kind of thing a lot more regularly then you might think. Its really good to see it too, kinda makes it all worthwhile.
    Plus the Boards-kids.... the kids, people who are in the world today because their parents met through boards. Thats a very weird feeling...

So, coming up to our 10th anniversay.... hugz all! :)

DeV.

Have people really hooked up and even had kids by meeting on boards?! That's pretty cool if it's true!

Have people really hooked up and even had kids by meeting on boards?! That's pretty cool if it's true!

I believe so.

There have definately been relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I would expect relationships, that's inevitable, but to think that the site is responsible for actual families is a bit surprising to me! But like I said, very cool!

I'm getting all soppy now, please excuse me for a moment to go down a can of beer in one go and then crush the can on my forehead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

snyper wrote: »
    Not likely, Antiques are not my fashion.

Judging by your posts to date, neither is humour, lolocaust or otherwise, or boards in general.

Seriously now, less inanity and more a more constructive approach is the way to go.

Advertisement