Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Warm Fuzzy Glow

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

orestes wrote: »
    I would expect relationships, that's inevitable, but to think that the site is responsible for actual families is a bit surprising to me! But like I said, very cool!

I'm getting all soppy now, please excuse me for a moment to go down a can of beer in one go and then crush the can on my forehead!

LOL.

Oh yes, there have been relationships, and boards babies, and those are only the ones we're privy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Judging by your posts to date, neither is humour, lolocaust or otherwise, or boards in general.

Seriously now, less inanity and more a more constructive approach is the way to go.

If you judge post quality from lolocaust or humor sections you may be perhaps looking for the wrong places to pass judgment on me, perhaps its your sence of humor that needs adjusting. If you dont like lolocast.. dont go there.. if you object to the material i post there.. report it to the relevant authority.

If however you want to check for constructive input from me however feel free to take a peek in the Construction and DIY sections and political discussion.

I hope you dont mind if i dont take your critique of me seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

lol no fighting in the warm fuzzy thread. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah, I thought for a moment we were somewhere over the rainbow. Snyper try to be less.... omnipresent. WWMan stop baiting him.

Yes, we have several babies as a result of meeting on Boards. We also have a Mod-baby where two mods have had a kid making it some kind of uber Damian-seque devil-child bent on oppressing the world....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

We also have a Mod-baby where two mods have had a kid making it some kind of uber Damian-seque devil-child bent on oppressing the world....
    so in about 10 - 15 years boards is in for an apocalyptic battle?
    awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It will open one of its six mouths and sing the song that ends the Earth.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

We also have a Mod-baby where two mods have had a kid making it some kind of uber Damian-seque devil-child bent on oppressing the world...

LMAO.

I see this type of helpful attitude regularly on the boards I frequent, it's great to see such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

+10 gotta <3 boards. my bro introduced me a few years ago when he got into model cars and found here to post questions etc, and couldnt get over just how freindly and helpful people were. since i've become a regular poster, i've just met so many awesome people, from the best place to get a piercing, to advice how best to stay in nz, to just friends to talk to, chill with, drink, dance and have fun with, just <3 boards and all it's awesome peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even back when I joined, anyone I knew on boards knew that if you asked a question here, you'll probably get the right answer.

It's probably what has made the site so popular - when you ask a question you'll usually get the correct reply or if not you'll get someone who at least makes a good stab at helping. Surprisingly enough #boards.ie used to be a bit like that, but noiser, like asking for car maintenance advice at a boy racer rally. Then it was closed and it was just brainless IRC again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I can hand on heart say a huge portion of my life was directly influenced in a very, very positive way by boards. It's a fantastically powerful resource, underestimated by most who use it. Yay for boards \0/ !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I remember being on After Hours one night having a debate about crime with a fellow boardsie well into the wee hours. We were backing and forthing quite a bit, neither of us entirely convinced by the other's point of view. Come 2 o'clock we had to call it a deadlock.

Well, the next day that user met me in town. He even brought some tools with him to help out. He took my clothes, my boots and my motorcycle but in return gave me closure on the issue of inner city crime.

I don't need to tell you I slept well that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

DeVore wrote: »
    It will open one of its six mouths and sing the song that ends the Earth.

DeV.

Thief!

You're not getting away with that one *shifty eyes*

I was rather hoping people (at least SOME people) would get the reference... :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OP, he sounds like one of us...an engineer.

FASCINATION WITH GADGETS
    To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories:
    1. Things that need to be fixed
    2. Things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them.
    Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems. Normal people don't understand this concept; they believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
    No engineer looks at a television remote control without wondering what it would take to turn it into a stun gun. No engineer can take a shower without wondering if some sort of Teflon coating would make showering unnecessary. To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and feature-poor toys.
    FASHION AND APPEARANCE
    Clothes are the lowest priority for an engineer, assuming the basic thresholds for temperature and decency have been satisfied. If no appendages are freezing or sticking together, and if no genitalia or mammary glands are swinging around in plain view, then the objective of clothing has been met. Anything else is a waste.
    LOVE OF "STAR TREK"
    Engineers love all of the "Star Trek" television shows and movies. It's a small wonder, since the engineers on the starship Enterprise are portrayed as heroes, occasionally even having sex with aliens. This is much more glamorous than the real life of an engineer, which consists of hiding from the universe and having sex without the participation of other life forms.
    DATING AND SOCIAL LIFE
    Dating is never easy for engineers. A normal person will employ various indirect and duplicitous methods to create a false impression of attractiveness. Engineers are incapable of placing appearance above function.
    Fortunately, engineers have an ace in the hole. They are widely recognized as superior marriage material: intelligent, dependable, employed, honest, and handy around the house. While it's true that many normal people would prefer not to date an engineer, most normal people harbor an intense desire to mate with them, thus producing engineer-like children who will have high-paying jobs long before losing their virginity.
    Male engineers reach their peak of sexual attractiveness later than normal men, becoming irresistible erotic dynamos in their mid thirties to late forties. Just look at these examples of sexually irresistible men in technical professions:
    • Bill Gates.
    • MacGyver.
    EGO
    Ego-wise, two things are important to engineers:
    • How smart they are.
    • How many cool devices they own.
    The fastest way to get an engineer to solve a problem is to declare that the problem is unsolvable. No engineer can walk away from an unsolvable problem until it's solved. No illness or distraction is sufficient to get the engineer off the case. These types of challenges quickly become personal -- a battle between the engineer and the laws of nature.
    Engineers will go without food and hygiene for days to solve a problem. (Other times just because they forgot.) And when they succeed in solving the problem they will experience an ego rush that is better than sex--and I'm including the kind of sex where other people are involved.
    Nothing is more threatening to the engineer than the suggestion that somebody has more technical skill. Normal people sometimes use that knowledge as a lever to extract more work from the engineer. When an engineer says that something can't be done (a code phrase that means it's not fun to do), some clever normal people have learned to glance at the engineer with a look of compassion and pity and say something along these lines: "I'll ask Bob to figure it out. He knows how to solve difficult technical problems."
    At that point it is a good idea for the normal person to not stand between the engineer and the problem. The engineer will set upon the problem like a starved Chihuahua on a pork chop.
    Top 20 of Engineering Terminology
    1. A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT APPROACHES ARE BEING TRIED
    We are still pissing in the wind.
    2. EXTENSIVE REPORT IS BEING PREPARED ON A FRESH APPROACH TO THE PROBLEM
    We just hired three kids fresh out of college.
    3. CLOSE PROJECT COORDINATION
    We know who to blame.
    4. MAJOR TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH
    It works OK, but looks very hi-tech.
    5. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS DELIVERED ASSURED
    We are so far behind schedule the customer is happy to get it delivered.
    6. PRELIMINARY OPERATIONAL TESTS WERE INCONCLUSIVE
    The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.
    7. TEST RESULTS WERE EXTREMELY GRATIFYING
    We are so surprised that the stupid thing works.
    8. THE ENTIRE CONCEPT WILL HAVE TO BE ABANDONED
    The only person who understood the thing quit.
    9. IT IS IN THE PROCESS
    It is so wrapped up in red tape that the situation is about hopeless.
    10. WE WILL LOOK INTO IT
    Forget it! We have enough problems for now.
    11. PLEASE NOTE AND INITIAL
    Let's spread the responsibility for the screw up.
    12. GIVE US THE BENEFIT OF YOUR THINKING
    We'll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesn't interfere with what we've already done.
    13. GIVE US YOUR INTERPRETATION
    I can't wait to hear this bull!
    14. SEE ME or LET'S DISCUSS
    Come into my office, I'm lonely.
    15. ALL NEW
    Parts not interchangeable with the previous design.
    16. RUGGED
    Too damn heavy to lift!
    17. LIGHTWEIGHT
    Lighter than RUGGED.
    18. YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT
    One finally worked.
    19. ENERGY SAVING
    Achieved when the power switch is off.
    20. LOW MAINTENANCE
    Impossible to fix if broken.
    The Top 10 Things Engineering School didn't teach
    • There are at least 10 types of capacitors.
    • Theory tells you how a circuit works, not why it does not work.
    • Not everything works according to the specifications in the operation manual.
    • Anything practical you learn will be obsolete before you use it, except the complex math, which you will never use.
    • Always try to fix the hardware with software.
    • Engineering is like having an 8 a.m. class and a late afternoon lab every day for the rest of your life.
    • Overtime pay? What overtime pay?
    • Managers, not engineers, rule the world.
    • If you like junk food, caffeine and all-nighters, go into software.

We need a theme tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

DeVore wrote: »
    Snyper try to be less.... omnipresent.

DeV.

Thats just a posh word for spammer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

snyper wrote: »
    Thats just a posh word for spanner :D

Fixed that for you:p

No fighting in the war room...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol, nice videos.

(Protect the objective)

Advertisement