Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some very noobish cycling questions

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Right, I've got light asthma that's getting worse and would benefit alot from excercise, the traffic turns an 7 mile trip to work into a 1-2 hour nightmare and the days are getting longer. Cycling to work a few days a week (weather permiting) ticks a lot of boxes. So I'm going to give it a pop.

I was wondering a few things....

* How dangerous are the suburban and city roads (I'm coming into Dublin via the rock road)? Is cycling on the path a no-no?
    * Is listening to an mp3 player while cycling a really, really bad idea?
    * Any advice on a helmet for someone who hates wearing them? The smaller and lighter the better.
    * What clothes and accesories are a good idea to have at hand?
    * Anyone cycling a few miles to a work place tat doesn't have a shower? Isn't B.O. going to ba bit of a factor?!

Any other advice on being safe and enjoying it would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

frobisher wrote: »

* How dangerous are the suburban and city roads (I'm coming into Dublin via the rock road)? Is cycling on the path a no-no?

Cycling on the path is a nono in general. Sometimes it's not unreasonable to mount it to bypass some traffic, provided there are no pedestrians around. (it's still illegal mind you).

Suburban and city roads are as dangerous as you make them. That is, if you are aware, keep your eyes open and cycle intelligently, you are fairly safe. It's impossible to account for completely irregular motorists, but it is certainly possible to account for the majority. Get a book on cyclecraft maybe, or read through past posts on the forum.

I used to listen to the radio with earphones on my commute, but don't anymore. I don't think it makes a major difference, but you'll get wildly varying opinions on that.
    * Any advice on a helmet for someone who hates wearing them? The smaller and lighter the better.

Just head into a bike shop and pick out the smallest/most comfortable one. Again, there is considerable debate as to the merit of a helmet.

I cycle with baggy cycling shorts and a wicking tshirt, with a light windproof and water resistant jacket. I got the jacket for around 30 euro in some sports shop and the short & top from chainreactioncycles. It does make a big different to not have to wear damp clothes when cycling home !!
    * Anyone cycling a few miles to a work place tat doesn't have a shower? Isn't B.O. going to ba bit of a factor?!

I'm lucky, I can have a shower. I know people that don't and they head into the toilets and wipe themselves down with a facetowel/or baby wipes which takes most of the sweat off. Some deoderant and a change of clothes and you are ok.

Have a look at
    http://wiki.redbrick.dcu.ie/mw/Cycling

for more bits and pieces. Don't forget bike lights and a high vis jacket too !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Verb says, it's legally a no-no and you'll very rarely see anyone using a path except where the path is the safer option (e.g. at a massive roundabout) or to get around parked/stopped vehicles. Within the city centre, the paths are jammed anyway and you have businesses opening out onto them, so it's just not safe.
    Not necessarily. I listen to the radio while cycling. I can always hear the traffic over the radio and have found myself tuning out from the radio a lot of the time if/when I need to particularly concentrate. If you have it blaring and drowning out everything, obviously that's not a great idea. Relying on your ears is never enough anyway - move your head and look around before performing any manouvers.
    For a 7-mile cycle, plan for punctures or other such issues. Make note of places you could leave the bike, or places you could go if the worst happens - friends' homes or places of business. You could always leave the bike there and bus home, or go in to get out of the weather and ring someone to pick you up. Carry a spare tube, a puncture repair kit and a pump with you every time you go out. It's happened to me once that even with all the spares, I couldn't fix a puncture and suddenly my 35 minute commute incorporates a 60 minute walk home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I cycle this route every day, and its not bad on the way in. There are buslanes/ cycle tracks most of the way in, with the exception of the Blackrock bypass, (sometimes a bit of traffic but not usually too bad) and past the Tara Towers to the merrion gates (road is bad so you need to cycle in the middle of the lane)

The only time I ever cycle on the footpath is on the way home, going past the elmpark/tara towers, two very narrow lanes of traffic and very difficult/dangerous to cycle on, its only about 100m and it would be quicker to walk with your bike than wait on the road for the cars to move.
    You need to be really alert when cycling on that road so I think headphones are a bad idea, a lot of distracted parents dropping kids off to school and other frustrated driver nipping into the buslane that only see you at the last minute, you need to be aware of them first.

I tried a few on in a bike shop and the one I have (name escapes me) is so light and breathable I barely notice it anymore.

If you wear shorts I think the only wet gear you need is a jacket, maybe something for your shoes.

I have a shower in work, but the route you are planning is pretty flat (no hills on the way in) and if you take it easy and don't have a big problem with sweating you should be ok with just a towel and deodarent.

I only started cycling in the autumn after getting increasingly annoyed with the length of my commute. Great way to combine two neccesary evils, commuting and exercising, oh and you feel great for the rest of the day in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Rock road is quite bad as roads go (two lanes with no cycle track) but in general cycling is quite safe in Dublin. Note you can cycle through the park from Blackrock to Booterstown so you are only dealing with the bit from Booterstown in.

Clothes-wise lycra shorts/tights _are_ more comfortable but certainly are not necessary. Any shorts will do. Make sure to have a small roll-up waterproof jacket. Avoid any sort of waterproofs for your legs, you are better off just letting your shorts get wet.

With regards to not having a shower, best bet is probably to take it easy in order to minimise sweating. I used to do city centre-Blackrock daily in work clothes (no shower) without any real issues.

I would suggest not starting out with headphones, you'll appreciate your surroundings more. Then see how it goes. I would tend to only use them occasionally when there is a cycle track, but I used them a lot more previously without issue.

Make sure you have lights and reflective stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Baby-wipes are your only man for post-excercise funk-removal. Towels being too bulky and prone to lying damp in a bag for a day.

Better off with shorts or light trousers than waterproofs in the rain, as the waterproofs will only make you wet from the perspiration.

All good advice above :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I strongly disagree with the person who said cycling on suburban and city roads is "as dangerous as you make it". That would be my definition of an ideal cycling environment, and Dublin is most certainly not that.

That said, there is a lot you can do to guard yourself against possible accidents. To my mind, the one thing that makes the biggest difference to me is my high visibility vest. True, I look like a builder, but I live (quite literally) with that. Whenever I forget it, as I occasionally do, there is a very noticeable difference in the way drivers react to me i.e. usually late.

I also believe - and I know I'm going to regret opening this gasometer-sized vat of anacondas - in wearing a helmet. Mine is a skater-style helmet. I got it from www.chainreactioncycles.com. They're cheap and they deliver here for free.

As for listening to music while cycling, I think it's pure lunacy. Auditory cues are very important when you cycle. You cannot concentrate on two sets of them. I might make a possible exception to the Brian Eno album "Ambient #2" but even still it might bliss you out so much you could fail to notice the 5-axle juggernaut that has crept up behind you.

I cycle in my work clothes but, then again, my commute is short enough that I'm not in too much of a lather by the time I arrive, unless it's very warm. You won't smell bad unless you wear the same shirt you cycled in more than once, by the way. I bring a can of deo with me, just in case.

I carry stuff in a messenger-style shoulder bag that has a support strap so it doesn't slip my back around all the time. For maximum comfort, I recommend the use of panniers. Ortlieb are great: easy to put on/remove and totally rainproof. Dunno about any other brands but I'm sure there are other good ones.

As for other accessories, I recommend toe clips on the bike; they make you pull as well as push the pedals, so they increase your power significantly.

Right, I've got light asthma that's getting worse and would benefit alot from excercise, the traffic turns an 7 mile trip to work into a 1-2 hour nightmare and the days are getting longer. Cycling to work a few days a week (weather permiting) ticks a lot of boxes. So I'm going to give it a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Panniers are certainly a good idea. Particularly from the avoiding sweating point of view, avoid backpacks which will leave a damp patch on your back during summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I use a 5 litre Backpack(Gelert-a welsh outdoor company). It was purshased for 6 year old when in pre-school. Hiking shops carry it. I fit all my stuff in.

My stuff includes
    1) Golf overpants. Lee Valley brand name- warm and keeps a lot of rain out, easy to get on and adjustable velcro at the ankles - purchased on sale for 10euro. - not taken during the summer period unless i know the day is bad. I have 2 of these.
    2) Hat for the cold mornings -winter only
    3) ski gloves - from aldi - again spring only - and yes they do restrict your hand movement, but they are warm.

Depending on the weather I wear a jacket.

Complete outdoor waterproof - about a 100 euro - heavy but keeps me dry
    Lightweight outdoor jacket - excellent in most rain - just not torrents - 60 odd euro
    Cycling shell (4oz) excellent in summer when you want to have protection from a shower without the weight - can be purchased on e-bay from less than 10 euro if you are patient otherwise 30-35 euro in the shops.

Reflective vest - always - I am convinced it makes a difference.

I am in an office all day. However I only cycle 3 miles to work. I keep sweat levels down in the morning by taking the spin very handy (could take 20 minutes). On the way home I could do work desk to dinner table in less than 10.

If asthma is your issue and you are serious about cycling, get organised so that any morning you are ready with what ever gear you need. I am fortunate, in my house I built a press at the front door, The top section is all the cycling stuff I need to have handy.

Helmets
    Pump
    Torches
    Extra shells
    jackets
    extra vests

I find it easier to get on the road if everthing is at hand and no delays.

Also- pannier are very good to carry everthing if they are easily removed. I was going to purchase an expensive set, I robbed the the backpack instead and plan to keep the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

* Anyone cycling a few miles to a work place tat doesn't have a shower?
    Unless your office is tiny, it's worth asking them if they could install a shower. It would take up the space of about 3 toilet cubicles. If there are others cycling then it gives more weight to your case. There is also the health benefit to employees which in turn benefits the company - less sick days etc.

Some info about the benefits of cycling from environment and health perspectives:
    http://www.onesmallstep.ie/yo_cycling.php
    http://www.onesmallstep.ie/mtc_health.php

Good luck with your choice.

I recommend the Zefal Dooback mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I would urge restraint in picking up too much stuff too quickly. I have been cycling that route, Cornelscourt to Trinity for me, 5 times a week for about 7 months, most of these trips done wearing jeans and a hoody, along with a cheap pair of cycling mitts. Not optimum cycling clothes but not terrible either, unless lashing rain. I have picked up a few bits of cycling clothes since but only start splashing out when you start to feel like you need them. Sweaty back shouldn't be too much of an issue this time of year, unless you are carrying a heavy bag. I rarely take a shower when I arrive in. When I first started the commute I brought a change of clothes in a backpack to counter sweaty back, later realising if I didn't bring the change of clothes then I wouldn't need the bag, therefore no sweaty back. This obviously doesn't apply if you need the bag to carry other stuff. I have a saddle bag with two tubes, tire levers and a bike tool in it, along with a pump that slots under my top tube.

As for the route itself, along with the aforementioned dodgy surfaces and layout around Tara Towers to Vincents, another thing to watch out for is the bottle bank at the Merrion Gates, try and keep out into the road around here if safe to do so, I have blamed this stretch for more than one puncture and often find bits of glass on the surface of my tire. The dodgiest junction in my experience is Booterstown on the way in, alot of people turn left without indicating. In the warmer months you'll also get to appreciate the smell of the marsh :p

For the record, I do listen to music, though not too loud, and generally don't wear a helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RtD wrote: »
    I would urge restraint in picking up too much stuff too quickly.
    Agreed. It's great fun going off and buying stuff, but give yourself a good two months to decide if it's actually for you. Buying the extra gear mounts up to a pretty penny (assuming you don't go for cheap crap) so a lot of the stuff, clothing in particular can wait until you're happy that you're going to continue cycling.

This is the toughest time of year to cycle. Wet, windy and/or cold. If you can handle this, the rest of the year is a breeze. Cycle commuting on a nice summer's morning rocks. As does cycling on a crisp cold winter's morning.

RtD wrote: »
    As for the route itself, along with the aforementioned dodgy surfaces and layout around Tara Towers to Vincents, another thing to watch out for is the bottle bank at the Merrion Gates

Thanks for this - I hadn't considered it before when cycling on Merrion Road. Will stay out a good bit when going by this area from now on.

But I completely agree about the road surfacing, it's insane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

I cycle about 4 miles from my house to UCC most mornings (stopped recently as I have to get my bike repaired and have been so up the walls that I havent gotten around to it yet).

Anyway on that "commute" I wear football shorts or 3/4 length polyester sport pants with a long sleeve cycling top I bought in Aldi and if that one is in the wash then I throw on a Nike polyester shirt. Artificial fabrics are best for keeping sweat to a minimum...just be sensible!

Take a look at the weather forecast for the morning and evening and plan for it. Fit a rack to the back of your bike and throw a light rain jacket in there along with a rain pants depending on the weather. A towel and a can of Lynx will sort any BO problems but even if you do work up a sweat, just take the last fifteen minutes of the cycle at an easy pace and the sweat is gone!

Oh yeah, pack some proper clothes in that bag too haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Kill two birds with the one stone and get something like this

As a cyclist and a driver, I can't understand people who cycle on the roads at night wearing a dark top, and with no lights!!! They must have a death wish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Glowing wrote: »
    As a cyclist and a driver, I can't understand people who cycle on the roads at night wearing a dark top, and with no lights!!! They must have a death wish.

I've found that nobody will miss you if you're wearing Kaiku kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Kill two birds with the one stone and get something like this

I have a Respro Hi Viz backpack cover. I also have a Hi Viz helmet band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

el tonto wrote: »
    I've found that nobody will miss you if you're wearing Kaiku kit!

Why is my eye always drawn to the crotch area ...... :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why is my eye always drawn to the crotch area ...... :D

Which is one reason I didn't go for the matching bibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Op, Do you know what triggers your asthma, you may need a mask?

Advertisement