Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Premier League Have Another Stupid Idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Domestically there are clubs who could do with the revenue that a pre-season game brings but yet we go abroad.

Brilliant point. Its all about the coffers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Amazing idea. It will bring joy to kids in places like Asia and even America who adore these players more than the drunken 'die hard' louts that go to every game ever could. Give the fans their wish, I'm sure the 300 pound obese puntors will be alright wasting their money in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Is this April 1st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Amazing idea. It will bring joy to kids in places like Asia and even America who adore these players more than the drunken 'die hard' louts that go to every game ever could. Give the fans their wish, I'm sure the 300 pound obese puntors will be alright wasting their money in the pub.
    wtf?

Kids in Asia are being manipulated by marketing agencies into "loving" these "superstars".

This whole excercise is geared toward picking the pockets of the Asian kids.

This is to increase the market presence of the EPL.

It certainly has fúck all to do with warming the hearts of poor downtrodden children.

get a grip esteban will you. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Silly post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Utterly disgusting. I don't object to teams playing showcase games around the world but to suggest playing a random game in sweltering oriental heat that could possibly have a bearing on the title, Europe or relegation is ridiculous.

38 games played home and away based on 20 teams in the league is as fair as it will get to all teams, but as has been suggested somehwere in that BBC article, this game would be played in January after the FA cup tie, after the Xmas run of games, that is absolutely ludicrous. I don't care if some fanboys in China or America want to see their 'hero' Ronaldo or whoever, but for god sakes, if they are going to do this, the match shouldn't have any impact on the league standings whatsoever, and should be a friendly or an extra cup or whatever.

DEmeant0r wrote: »

Wow! A giant full-stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It is a non starter imo and will never get off the ground. It is only in discussion stage and that is as far as it will go. If by some chance it was to go ahead, Dublin will not be one of the venues, they will look to the US and Far East. But it won't happen imo, it is the English league and matches should be played in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My problem with this is not so much that the teams are playing abroad. My problem is that it disrupts the otherwise 'fair' nature of the fixtures.

If they want to add a mini tournament with the top 10 of the premier league to be played abroad or play extra friendly abroad, fine. But to have an extra game which will make the whole league UNFAIR is sickening.

more than the drunken 'die hard' louts that go to every game

You obviously do not go to many games.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You obviously do not go to many games.

Roma fan too, they're a nice bunch of lads I've heard.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Roma fan too, they're a nice bunch of lads I've heard.

different story then, rarely see rowdy drunks anymore at premiership matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Haven't read through the thread at all so this point may have already been mentioned.

This has to be a non runner for one reason alone - the interests of fair competition.

The way all leagues are run everyone plays the same amount of games and against the same teams the same number of times.
    The new system would throw a spanner in the works and alter the fairness of competiton.
    If say Utds extra game is against Chelsea ,and Arsenals is against relegation fodder then this simply isn't equal competition - Arsenal have ana advantage over their rivals.

Nunu wrote: »
    The way all leagues are run everyone plays the same amount of games and against the same teams the same number of times.

Not an eircom league fan then? :) The home-away divide there is a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

the reason it works in the NFL is because they have bye weeks in american football. the giants and the dolphins both had a bye week which football doesn't have. the weekend after their game in london so didn't have to play the next weekend. this gave them time to recover jet lag and such. these games are to be played either at the start or end of january. don't think any manager would want to be playing stephen's day, new years day, possible 3rd round FA cup game, and then have to piss off to australia, japan or china to play an extra game. and then have to fly back for a weekend game. doubt any manager was told about this idea before hand.

Not an eircom league fan then? :) The home-away divide there is a killer.

Flippin hell ye never even thought of Eircom league set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

It's a fantastic idea and can only enhance the premier league status.

It makes perfectly good business sense, it adds excitement and drama for the fans and the clubs have the chance to play an extra game against a crap side which could mean an easy 3 points which keeps them up or gets them in to europe etc..

Surprised if UEFA or FIFA back it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't go ahead - only pride.

I don't like the idea of seeding sides, but if they ditch that seeding thing, it's a fair system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It would undermine the nature and fairness of the league
    It would undermine the idea of a club for the fans
    It would undermine the very idea of an English league

I hope to god it never happens, but it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

seems like the foreign owners of premiership clubs are getting fed up of having to watch their new playthings play football at home and would rather bring a few games closer to home.

Absolutely daft idea, why would I shell out for my season ticket every year if some of the games are going to be played on the other side of the planet. (and no they wouldn't reduce the cost)

Insanity.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »
    it adds excitement and drama for the fans and .

It goes against the fans, not the armchair fans, fans that go to matches every week, fans will be against this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

It will ruin the league if this happens. What happens say if Arsenal and Man U are level on points at the end of the season (or within three points neways) and Arsenal draw Chelsea and Man U get fulham?

Its not fair on one team to have to play Chelsea three times and the other play fulham.

The ONLY way I can see this working is if 20th play 19th, 18th play 17th all the way to 1st v 2nd....

Apart from that I cant see how it would work.

A liverpool game in Croker or lansdown would be great but I can see them hitting the likes of the US,Asia and australia just to boost the League.

joe123 wrote: »
    A liverpool game in Croker or lansdown would be great but I can see them hitting the likes of the US,Asia and australia just to boost the League.

Exactly no reason for them to come to Ireland.

I really hope this does not get off the ground. Its mad imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

might work if they did it on one of skysport's grand slam sundays, have the top 4 in the league at that time face each other as two of the games. other than that its worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I wonder if somewhere on the net there is a Thai/Saudi/Malaysian etc soccer forum with a hardcore of users making posts lambasting the 70,000 treacherous native bastards who come to the countrys largest stadium to cheer for a far off foreign team whip AC Riyadh/Mecca Utd or whoever Man U played.

Just a thought :p

I think this really takes the atmosphere out of away games. Lets be real, the only teams with enough support to tour for these would be

Man U
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

It would only be the games where these teams face off that would be played abroad. I really cant imagine Wigan agreeing to fly out to Tokyo to play a game in a stadium filled with 79,980 screaming Japanese in red jerseys and 20 English expats hailing from around the Wigan area.

Although Id love to see the loyalties of the Man U mafia here confused by a Croker match- Sunderland v Man U :)

As for the tv figures for the WC Id nearly reckon the 1 billion figure would be an understatement. All of south America. Most of Africa (particularly ex French colonies seeing as the vast majority of them had at least one player on the team). Any and every football fan in Europe, and whoever in China decided to stay up late/get up early. 300 million regularly watch the Prm there iirc, how many would watch the WC final like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ah know c'mon.

We all know that if it did happen there's no doubt in my mind SunderIreland will be over at the new Lansdowne for a game.

Only way it's gonna work is if they play two series of games over there.
    The same fixtures twice.
    Only way it could be made fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Great vision there for serious step-change that will grow the game of soccer immeasurably.
    Fantastic news enhancing the value chain by bringing total entertainment to all of Asia's true sporting fans, good for the stakeholders of the clubs that bring us such great features in a uniquely appealing product, and an excellent proposition in capturing and delivering new audiences on a massive scale to media outlets and their partners and supporters (in sponsorship and advertising, of course).
    This is the future.
    What's the Hang Seng saying Bob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole idea is a farce. Who in America/Asia/Australia is going to go watch the mighty Derby face off against the Leprechauns of Sunderland? There is no appeal to countries on the other side of the world for anything other than the top 4.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The whole idea is a farce. Who in America/Asia/Australia is going to go watch the mighty Derby face off against the Leprechauns of Sunderland? There is no appeal to countries on the other side of the world for anything other than the top 4.

But it is only the Premiership teams that could be involved, not championship teams, so no Sunderland hopefully, but we might have QPR playing in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    It would undermine the nature and fairness of the league
    It would undermine the idea of a club for the fans
    It would undermine the very idea of an English league

I hope to god it never happens, but it will.

all that's happened already. it began the day United floated themselves on the stock exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Brilliant point. Its all about the coffers though.

I completely agree and here's where we have the problem.

My local team are Bradford City who have been in a mess financially and have fallen away since their premiership days. teams like Bradford, Luton and the others here who are having trouble should be benefiting from friendlies and these such one-off games, not Asia/Africa/USA. I don't care whether or not the people from these continents get to see the games or not, it's an English league and lets look after OUR smaller clubs first

Fúck playing a stupid one game a season in these places. Play the English league in England!!!

• Advertisement

My local team are Bradford City who have been in a mess financially and have fallen away since their premiership days. teams like Bradford, Luton and the others we here who are having trouble should be benefiting from friendlies and these such one-off games, not Asia/Africa/USA. I don't care whether or not the people from these continents get to see the games or not, it's an English league and lets look after OUR smaller clubs first

Fúck playing a stupid one game a season in these places. Play the English league in England!!!

Agree.

all that's happened already. it began the day United floated themselves on the stock exchange.

Really it began then? Why not when Spurs became the first club to go on the stock exchange;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Jazzy wrote: »
    wat if i decided to support Shelbourne but didnt go to any matches?

LOL. This part of your post was even funnier than the time you PMed me to tell me you'd won an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It goes against the fans, not the armchair fans, fans that go to matches every week, fans will be against this.

Sums this situation up very well. Whatever happens here won't affect most Irish people, as the games will still be on TV and they'll miss nothing really, but for the fans who shape their weekend around following their team its an absolute ****ing joke. Why can't the people from these countries support their own leagues and improve them instead of needing a foreign 1 to come in? Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

My local team are Bradford City who have been in a mess financially and have fallen away since their premiership days. teams like Bradford, Luton and the others here who are having trouble should be benefiting from friendlies and these such one-off games, not Asia/Africa/USA. I don't care whether or not the people from these continents get to see the games or not, it's an English league and lets look after OUR smaller clubs first

Here, Here! and Scottish teams in Scotland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A simple solution would just be a preseason tournament involving 4 or so teams in each continent and rotate who goes where every year. That way everyone gets their fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really it began then? Why not when Spurs became the first club to go on the stock exchange;)

i'd also wonder how any club floating on the stock exchange undermines the concept of a league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Savman wrote: »
    If it ain't broke...

But it is broken, and has been for about ten years. Football has become a circus, an entertainment rather than a sport. I think they took their model from Vince McMahon, seriously, I do!

If there wasn't a problem in the game there wouldn't be madcap schemes like this - and the rationale "if we don't do it someone else will" is bizarre to say the least.

And for those who are thinking "man Utd v Liverpool in Dublin", it's not going to happen. These games would be in new territories, not for the converted. Try to remember always when dealing with the Premier League, it's not you the fan they are thinking of, it's the next £250m!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DSB wrote: »
    LOL. This part of your post was even funnier than the time you PMed me to tell me you'd won an argument.

yeah, massively funny.

i dunno, DesF didnt respond to me anyhow.... wat was it again? "smells like victory" or something like that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

because the spuds didn't exactly go on to become the industry leaders now did they? :p
    Tauren wrote: »
    i'd also wonder how any club floating on the stock exchange undermines the concept of a league.

that's a bit naive. would United have gone on to achieve the global commercial success they achieved if they were still owned by the Edwards? certainly not to the same levels... their flotation was the first step in the process that led to United's dominance on and off the pitch, as well as the resulting chasm in finances between them and the rest of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Terrible idea the NFL can play games abroad because American Football isn't really an international sport bar a few players. I'd rather have a half decent Eircom League than SundIreland playing against Birmingham in Dublin.

They like copying the NFL but they will never introduce the even distribution of TV money and other regulations US sports have which prevents things like a 'Big 4'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This idea just shows that the PL just doesnt care about the people that it should. The fans. its their club, Not people in Beijing or Saudi etc, but the people who go to the game week in week out, the real fans of the clubs.

When they say "the english market is over-saturated", read that as, "we've run out of ways to fleece our local fans, lets go elsewhere and fleece them".

If this happens, the amount of games played abroad will increase every second year, the PL is the ENGLISH league, it will cease to be that if this idea goes ahead. Its a ridiculous idea. And in my opinion, anyone who thinks its a good idea, is in favour of ruining football.

If this happens, it wont be long before these games go PPV, then sure they'll probably break it up into 4 quarters to maximise money made from advertising, then we'll have cheerleaders at all the grounds, sure why not move Liverpool and base the club in Dubai? or California? 6 months of the year maybe? maximise revenues further?!

all a load of ****ing **** cockology.

The people who own these clubs are the fans who go every week, us foreign fans and day trippers are visitors to their club, and should treat it as such, now the PL is looking to take it off them and give it to the highest bidder once a year like some sort of whore.

the whole idea is ****ing disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This idea just shows that the PL just doesnt care about the people that it should. The fans. its their club, Not people in Beijing or Saudi etc, but the people who go to the game week in week out, the real fans of the clubs.

When they say "the english market is over-saturated", read that as, "we've run out of ways to fleece our local fans, lets go elsewhere and fleece them".

If this happens, the amount of games played abroad will increase every second year, the PL is the ENGLISH league, it will cease to be that if this idea goes ahead. Its a ridiculous idea. And in my opinion, anyone who thinks its a good idea, is in favour of ruining football.

If this happens, it wont be long before these games go PPV, then sure they'll probably break it up into 4 quarters to maximise money made from advertising, then we'll have cheerleaders at all the grounds, sure why not move Liverpool and base the club in Dubai? or California? 6 months of the year maybe? maximise revenues further?!

The people who own these clubs are the fans who go every week, us foreign fans and day trippers are visitors to their club, and should treat it as such, now the PL is looking to take it off them and give it to the highest bidder once a year like some sort of whore.

Legendary post.

Absolutely spot on.

Fair play Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Holy Crap - a moment of accord. Quick sign the treaty! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

because the spuds didn't exactly go on to become the industry leaders now did they? :p

that's a bit naive. would United have gone on to achieve the global commercial success they achieved if they were still owned by the Edwards? certainly not to the same levels... their flotation was the first step in the process that led to United's dominance on and off the pitch, as well as the resulting chasm in finances between them and the rest of the league.

I disagree.

The floatation on the stockmarket did 3 things.

1. Pocket Edwards A LOT of cash.
    2. Raised funds for a refurbishment of the Stadium and a capacity increase.
    3. Slightly raise the profile of the club.

I find people who think United made a crap load of cash of the floatation are being naive. After the initial stock purchase - money that did go to the club (though certainly not all) any shares bought and sold were private transactions bewtween the buyer and the seller - the club did not recieve money from these transactions.

I would also argue that United would still have gone on 'brand building' exercises - regardless of it being a PLC or not. Uniteds dominence ws built on a solid business plan, a very strong supporter base and damn good management. The PLC would have played its part, but whether that part is significantly stronger then the part that could have been played by an owner is another matter entirely. Chelsea's recent success is not built on bveing a PLC but upon being a privately owned asset that does not have to post a profit to keep going. Barcelona is owned byt he fans and they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Also, to say United's floatation destroyed the ethos of the league format is a joke, or at least it should be. Can you explain exactly how you would see this to be true? How United being successfull and building on that success destroyed the concept of a league being played over an even number of games where teams have the same amount of home/away games against the opposition as everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

+1 retarded idea, its not broken, dont rape it mercilessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They want to do this in January.

This Januarys football programme was

Jan 1/2 Premier League
    Jan 5/6 FA Cup 3th rd
    Jan 8/9 League Cup Semi-Finals First leg
    Jan 12/13 Premier League
    Jan 15th FA Cup 3rd rd replay
    Jan 19/20/21 Premier League
    Jan 22 FA Cup 4th rd replays
    Jan 22/23 League Cup Semi Finals Second Leg
    Jan 25/26 FA Cup 5th rd
    Jan 26/29/30 Premier League

Now to play these games 5/6 days clear either side is going to be required so at least one regular Prem weekend and 2 or 3 days of Cup games will have to be moved. Where to? You could use up an International Friendly date which will piss off the FA who will lose a milti-million pound Wemberly payday while teeing off Fabio Capello so thats not on either.

The best they could do is scrap the extra round of games (which is obviously a deranged idea anyway) and just play the first weekend of the new season abroad. Fans would still go mad and rightly but it would proberbly cause the least amount of damage while achieving the PLs evil aims. Bleugh. :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Barcelona idea of fans owning the club which Liverpool fans were supposed to be planning is a good idea. I'm a Villa fan but I wouldn't compare myself to the people from Birmingham who actully go to games every week, it's their club.

I don't understand why people in Thailand are so interested in the Premier League when their own football has entertainment like this.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080208/tod-uk-soccer-thailand-referee-95b9e1b_1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TBH you have a point to some degree however the REAL fans as you call them want success and in the modern era that isn't possible without large sums of money, now if you were to only generate cash from REAL fans their club would fall into debt and be unable to compete. So I'm afraid the definiton of real fans while true in the sense as they support the team at games, the foreign fans are the ones generating the majority of money through televison viewing and subscriptions which is what clubs are relying on to buy players and pay for wages etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm sure it's gonna get to a stage as well that when the Premier League season is over, the top team will not automatically be Champions. They'll have the top four teams go into a knock out semi finals ala Rugby League and then onto a Grand Final in Saudi Arabia or LA
    Imagine it, Liverpool finish fourth but still end up being champions of England..............hang on, that's a great idea.

Money rules the world. It as simple as that. Everything has a price, the soul is being taking out of everything. Be it music, football or whatever. The world is becoming more and more shallow and this is just an example of it.

Advertisement