Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Premier League Have Another Stupid Idea

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

2lavw3otyvfuuau5kh5.gif

what eva!

its all about Benny Lava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

interesting article in the Telegraph on the subject.

Globalisation of Premier League is fans' fault

By Clive Tyldesley
    Last Updated: 12:10pm GMT 09/02/2008

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more." So shouted the television newsreader, Howard Beale, in the film Network. And block by block, city by city, America began to lean out of its windows and shout it too. It was the collective rant of a disillusioned nation that had passed the tipping point. How much more will it take to get the football fans of this country as mad as hell? Is the 39th step the step too far?

It's not Richard Scudamore's fault. He's just doing his job, and doing it rather well. If the chief executive of any organisation were failing to maximise its international marketability, the shareholders would want to know why. The Premier League chairmen have reached a unanimous verdict on this. Firing off at Scudamore is merely shooting the messenger.

No, if anyone is to blame, it is the customers for allowing their favourite sporting pastime to become sport's favourite commercial brand. To their credit, the fans are too loyal to stop buying, but they have virtually stopped complaining too. Most of football's ills can be cured by a stirring victory for your team. Supporting a club is hypnotic and addictive. But it is also divisive because the greater good gets lost among the vested interests. The next match is more important than the idea of a 39th match.

The proposed international round will not be the thin edge of the wedge. That wedge was jammed firmly under an open door the day the Premier League came into existence 16 years ago. Foreign players, foreign owners, foreign television rights, we have waved them all gratefully across the welcome mat to finance the show. The world is shrinking by the day, and the globalisation of the Premier League has happened naturally. The only unnatural thing is the latest idea to cash in on it.

Recent events at Liverpool are a microcosm of what is now occurring nationally.

A wonderfully traditional football club is making the transition from old to new. Benevolent benefactors have been bought out by overseas investors. The stakes have been raised. Millionaires can no longer afford billionaire squads and stadiums. Only the dreaded banks and faceless pension funds can raise the necessary capital. Growing up is never easy and not always pretty. It's a warts and all process.

Protest songs from the Kop will not in themselves change anything. The initiative on Merseyside to form a supporters' group to buy out the American owners may seem hopelessly naive and belated. Dissing in the wind. But at least it is an initiative, a fightback.

There is already a Facebook group opposing the Premier League proposals, the website Football365 has launched a campaign and its forum has been discussing boycotts.

Grumbling over a pint in the pub tonight isn't enough if you harbour strong objections. But just how strong are the objections? Has the allure of Premier League football turned even the most principled into pragmatists? Is this how we first reacted to three points for a win, the four-step rule, shirt sponsorship, Monday night football, the Champions League and white boots? Still, I try to insist my 12-year-old son wears predominantly black boots. Is this simply the tirade of grumpy old men who want to revert to an archaic offside law and shirts tucked inside shorts?

Asked if these proposals should go to a fans' vote, Scudamore replied that rule by popular referendum would result in all games kicking off at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon again, with the consequent loss of any live television revenue. You can't have your cake, eat it, and not pay for it. The committed fans who queue at motorway contraflows and turnstiles alike simply do not buy the Dutch pastries and French gateaux that adorn the Premier League table. The economic truth is that the armchair supporters are the ones who pay the players' wages now.

It is not just the major American sports that are on the move in search of new markets. Nearly half the tournaments on the European golf tour schedule will take place outside Europe this year. If you've got it, you flaunt it. Perhaps it's too late to turn back, maybe we simply don't want to give up the trappings of an all-star Premier League whatever the price.

In Network, Beale says: "Things have got to change, but first you gotta get mad."

The madness of English football is now being put to the test.

I think he's spot on with this summation. fans need to start following their head not their hearts if they wish to preserve what little of the traditional values are left in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

In some ways it was inevitable that such a propsal would emerge. Football is a business, look at all these pre-season tours to other parts of the world. I'm not saying it's right but it's the way things are gonna go, regardless of what fans think imo. If you think of it, all the changes in football over the past 10-20 years have slowly moved it away from its more traditional, sporting roots: advertising, television etc, alienating fans more and more. Has it actually improved the game? It's arguable.

Football has become a global product, has been a global product for quite a while...these proposals are, unfortunately, another step towards maximising the global potential of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He is particularly on the money when he says that it is now the armchair fans that pay the way now. Eventhough it seems that the members of this board have great difficulty understanding and accepting that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anybody on this thread has disagreed with the proposal and are "fans" of the EPL are hypocrites (not going searching for the names of the hypocrites), mainly because if the idea was that they played a game in Ireland every season you'd be well for it and trying to push the proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anybody on this thread has disagreed with the proposal and are "fans" of the EPL are hypocrites (not going searching for the names of the hypocrites), mainly because if the idea was that they played a game in Ireland every season you'd be well for it and trying to push the proposal

Okay, hold up.

I disagree with the proposal.
    I am a "fan" of the EPL (well, the Championship).
    If the idea was that they played a game in Ireland every season, I'd still be against it...

How do you like them apples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Okay, hold up.

If the idea was that they played a game in Ireland every season, I'd still be against it...

+1 Gavin what makes you think anyones opinion would be any different regardless what country the extra session of games would be in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

LOL, not much point arguing with the eircom league fascists, if only they moved league of ireland games to cities in the UK and let them appreciate the standard of football which we're apparently missing out on in favour of english and scottish teams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wouldn't, part of the joy of watching Arsenal for me is going to London, so even if Arsenal were to play a game here, I would still be against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Okay, hold up.

What he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

In some ways it was inevitable that such a propsal would emerge. Football is a business, look at all these pre-season tours to other parts of the world. I'm not saying it's right but it's the way things are gonna go, regardless of what fans think imo. If you think of it, all the changes in football over the past 10-20 years have slowly moved it away from its more traditional, sporting roots: advertising, television etc, alienating fans more and more. Has it actually improved the game? It's arguable.

Football has become a global product, has been a global product for quite a while...these proposals are, unfortunately, another step towards maximising the global potential of it.

+1....Going to Anfield for matches now 24 years give or take and i can say with hand on heart that the atmosphere has got really quite poor in the last few years(Champs league apart).Fans are alienated more and more each year.As much as i dispise ferguson, the man made a valid point recently about the atmosphere on match day at old trafford.Anytime i watch match of the day you would think there was 750 people there not 75,000.It's a big problem for all the big clubs now.I guess it has something to do with the working class supporters being priced out of the stadium and the people who end up in the ground are'nt in essence real fans.Laugh all ya want but in 20 years time dont be surprised to see the Liverpool pirates v Manchester galaxy live from Dubai.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sign the petition folks -

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/no-to-game-39/index.php

Probably pointless though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I can see why it's unfair as it's a thirty nine game season.
    However, I think it's a good idea, it gives fans over there the chance to see there favourite teams without having to travel thousands of miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

For the life of me, I'm trying to understand why a fan of the EPL living in Ireland would oppose EPL matches coming to Dublin, especially if it were their own team.

Can someone please explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

SectionF wrote: »
    For the life of me, I'm trying to understand why a fan of the EPL living in Ireland would oppose EPL matches coming to Dublin, especially if it were their own team.

The proposal put forward meant no games would be played in Europe.

Not sure were this games coming to Ireland thing is coming from ?

No games will be played in Ireland.

I still would not want Arsenal to play premiership matches here even if they did come, it is the English premier league and all matches should be played in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I find it bizarre that people think that these levels of football are about anything else than money, the premiership is becoming more and more like F1, spend more money than the rest to win, very few shock results especially at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No games will be played in Ireland.

I still would not want Arsenal to play premiership matches here even if they did come, it is the English premier league and all matches should be played in England.
    Sunday Times yest. has it, with FAI in opposition...

Come on JoeSoap and assorted +1ers...on what grounds would an Irish EPL fan oppose it? Seems to me it'd be Nirvana, except perhaps those who can afford regular trips to the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Come on JoeSoap and assorted +1ers...on what grounds would an Irish EPL fan oppose it? Seems to me it'd be Nirvana, except perhaps those who can afford regular trips to the mainland.

I would hazard a guess and say that there is very little chance of any games being played in Ireland, with the possible exception of say Sunderland v Reading.

To compete for the big games, then Ireland would be competing with Japan, China, South Korea etc, these guys would spend millions to secure a big game and besides, why would Man U want to play in Ireland, they sell enough shirts here as it is.

• Advertisement

I am surprised Dublin would be considred as a venue.

Me personally, I am following an Englsih team,I want to see them play in England, the whole part of going to England is part of it for me, but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

At the rate at which continents are telling the FA to take a hike Ireland would probably be the only venue left to them.
    Oversea's chairmen aren't stupid. Do you think the FA would let La Liga or Serie A hold a match in London? Not a bloody chance in case it would have an impact on their income.
    So what makes them think other countries will allow it?
    Japan/Asia/US were their biggest targets and they've rejected it.
    I reckon it's definitely going to fall through and they'll put out some crap like they decided not to go ahead with it due to the home fans concerns as a facesaver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I am surprised Dublin would be considred as a venue.

Its not. The papers have put one and one together and come up with 5. None of the English media mentioned Dublin, its Bejing, LA, Hong Kong, Malaysia ets.
    At the rate at which continents are telling the FA to take a hike Ireland would probably be the only venue left to them.

The FAI have told them to take a hike, so what are you getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It looks like the Rest of the World is also against the plans.

the times
    While hostility at home was expected, the Premier League has been surprised by the level of opposition from potential host cities, with officials in the United States, South Africa and Australia expressing doubts. Mohammed bin Hammam, president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), was the latest to speak out yesterday and even raised the notion of a reciprocal arrangement whereby Asian clubs could play competitive matches in England.

“I always welcome the exchange of knowledge and expertise between foreign football associations and clubs, and support matches organised between AFC and other confederations which benefit the development of our clubs here in Asia,” bin Hammam said. “But I can’t see the wisdom in the proposed plans.

“My recommendation to the AFC executive committee would be to reject any initiatives of this nature. And we would urge the AFC member associations to protect their own national leagues and clubs within their territories. This is our position.

Mike.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7237359.stm

FA to make announcement on Friday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The FAI have told them to take a hike, so what are you getting at?

Hadn't seen that..

Advertisement