Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby turning while sleeping

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My baby girl is approaching the nine month mark and since birth has always slept on her back inline with best practice regarding SIDS. In the last couple of weeks she has starting scratching her head back and forth while in the cot, I think that this is because her bald patch is now growing over what with being upright more. The problem however is that she will eventually turn to one side or the other and effectively snuggle into the side of the cot, sometimes resulting in her being face down into the mattress. On occasion she has even made a full turn to lie on her tummy.

I have tried to move her back onto her back on occasion but like a rubber band she'll head back to her side and I'm pretty concerned that she'll have breathing problems during the night. I've been told by family and others that once a baby starts to move like this there is not much you can do about it and I shouldn't really worry, but I thought I’d throw it out there to see what people thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Although I don't know the official recommendations, I believe that concern over a babe sleeping on their belly only extends until the child is able to raise itself off its belly.

In other words, there may be concern over a very young baby (who can't get off its belly) sleeping on its stomach b/c their nose can get buried in the bed. But once the baby can turn off its belly I don't think it's an issue.

My dd also started rolling in her sleep at about the same age and now she sleeps in all sorts of positions. It's actually amusing to wake up in the morning and seeing what contoured arrangement she's made for herself.

Again, I don't know the "official" statement on the matter, but in my own opinion I'd imagine your baby is developed enough that concern of SIDS is extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Your family are right.
    Before long she'll be waking up in all kind of strange configurations.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would also say dont worry, shes just starting to go mobile. Just make sure she cant tangle in her blankets or cover her face with them.

Ive often gone in to find my daughter with her feet suspended up along the side of the cot, or face down ass up kneeling, and somehow shes quite comfortable and content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

That brought a smile :D

My youngest sleeps nearly the same! He is more like in a fetal position but face down with his head turned to the side!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thanks for the advice folks, always good to get reassurance from people who have been there, done that. Blankets aren't a worry thankfully as she sleeps in a grobag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It can be a little unnerving at first, and I remember we used to 'fix' our eldest. But eventually you leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

If baby can move that much, then she can move her head if she is not getting enough air.

Ohh I'm glad I'm not going through all those worries anymore!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

9 month old babies are pretty much out of the danger zone for SIDS. Once a child can wriggle from their back onto their front, it correlates that they can do the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

embee wrote: »
    ...Once a child can wriggle from their back onto their front, it correlates that they can do the opposite.

Could you come tell our 4 month that. Because hes not a believer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

BostonB wrote: »
    Could you come tell our 4 month that. Because hes not a believer. :(

My daughter when she was 4 months old could roll onto her front but couldn't roll back, took her a good while to master that, so you're not alone...

• Advertisement
Advertisement