Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do these people get elected!!!

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Oh it just gets better:-

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0207/roadsafety.html

Let me guess they are going to have a phase in period for driving on the other side of the road? Trucks this month, then buses, then cars...

So wait the republic of ireland is going to start driving on the right hand side, but the north will still drive on the left?? that should make the border very interesting!!!!

As for the 80Kmph, So when people come across the border from the north they will have to drive at 80kmph down the m1??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So wait the republic of ireland is going to start driving on the right hand side, but the north will still drive on the left?? that should make the border very interesting!!!!

Ease up on the exclamation marks, one is enough

If we were Luxembourg and driving on the left I'd agree. But as an island it's crazy and would cost a vast sum to reengineer ever junction

On the plus side, we could have scalextric style crossovers at the border :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I very much doubt this country will EVER swtich to the right-hand side of the road. There is no need as we are an island nation, and the costs for changing all the signs and road markers, let alone replacing the ENTIRE bus services would make the cost prohibitive.

Alot of the incompetent politicians that run this nanny state say/do things before they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I very much doubt this country will EVER swtich to the right-hand side of the road. There is no need as we are an island nation, and the costs for changing all the signs and road markers, let alone replacing the ENTIRE bus services would make the cost prohibitive.

Alot of the incompetent politicians that run this nanny state say/do things before they think.

Apparently Sweden done it in the late 1960's... they had the army out on the streets for a few weeks at every junction till people got used to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bingo ...a new record high of 10.5 on the Richter scale for stupidity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Fianna Fáil's Donie Cassidy

Nuff said..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

on the plus side, think of the long term affect it would have on car prices as you could buy cars from anywhere on europe.

No need to introduce it here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

What about a nationwide one-way system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 whatthe...

Sure look, this Donie Cassidy character is only having a ramble and basing all comments on things that will never happen...probably just to get into the media.

Obviously he's got nothing else to be doing with his time so best make a headline to give the impression he is 'working hard'.

The government cant deliver the things we're promised, so there's no question these suggestions (if you want to call them that) are complete rubbish.

Down with that sort of thing!

Apparently Sweden done it in the late 1960's...

That is true, they did. However, Sweden has LHD countries surronding it and they apparently were driving LHD vehicles before they switched to the right hand side of the road. Ireland has none of the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well, we'd certainly reduce the number of cars on the roads, as nearly half of the population would be wiped out in major accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Sweden changed from left to right in 1967, so there were not a lot of cars on the road then as there are now. They appear to have been LHD since the year dot basically as the swedish thought that having the steering wheel on the right looked odd. I think if the road safety authority want to change to the right, then maybe they should eradicate all the problems that are there at present before doing something that will make existing problems worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

We changed from miles to kilometers for the speed limit ages ago, and most people I know STILL go by miles. How would we handle switching what side of the road we drive on?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All them fecking foreigners limited to 80km/h. Should they wear badges too? :rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    All them fecking foreigners limited to 80km/h. Should they wear badges too? :rolleyes:

So that's how these things get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

How long now has Ireland had speed and distance signs in KM and I clearly heard him say 50mph as the limit. Fecking twat. Id love to see them put out the tender "convert nation to right hand side driving". Try budget for that one Mr Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

unkel wrote: »

Most of us would be happy to wear badges, at least we'd know we were safe driving around other badge holders and could avoid you nutters like the plague :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

They get elected by college graduates...

THOSE DAMN BOOK READERS!!! :mad:

Tails142 wrote: »

You take that back. I'm an NUI graduate and I choose to exercise my right not to vote for a senator at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Tails142 wrote: »

Just to point out..

A small subset of the seanad are elected by Trinity and NUI graduates. Grads of the newer universities such as UL and DCU are not allowed vote and anyone from the ITs are also excluded... Very fair i think you will agree :rolleyes:

If this guy had even the intelligence of a particularly dimwitted mollusk he would be instead working towards a complete revision of all government bodies from the Dail down.. and the abolition of he own moronic party..

For anyone to come out which this ****e and not be immediately forced to resign makes me despair..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It cost the Swedish road authorities approx 64 million Euro the make the transition back in 1967. You could probably add a zero to that for Ireland to do it now. There's no need for it and it would be a total waste of money as well as chaotic. Obviously, this senile senator just wants to have his name in the paper to seem like he's doing something.

And I "second" the motion to have him removed from the seanad for trying to rob the Irish people and for being a moron..

Hnightcombo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The six senators representing the university constituencies are actually generally pretty good. The rest are appointed directly by the Taoiseach (11) or elected by TDs, senators, and county councillors (43.) Donie Cassidy was first appointed by the Taoiseach and for 2007 was elected by the labour panel.

NUI senators: Joe O'Toole, Feargal Quinn, Rónán Mullen

TCD senators: Ivana Bacik, David Norris, Shane Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Obviously jim mcdaid was on a fact finding mission in 2005 for this madcap idea them

I just heard Donie Cassidy on Newstalk. The man actually sounds like he buys into this bull****. On top of that, he wants to ensure no car can actually start with the seatbelts not "engaged".... :confused:

Mena wrote: »
    On top of that, he wants to ensure no car can actually start with the seatbelts not "engaged".... :confused:

Yes, because every car manufacturer from Alfa Romeo to Lamborghini are going to fit such a device into their cars for the Irish market. :rolleyes:

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Yes, because every car manufacturer from Alfa Romeo to Lamborghini are going to fit such a device into their cars for the Irish market. :rolleyes:

Apparently it will only add €15.00 to the cost of the vehicle... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055232607 another thread in Politics.

Donnie Cassidy is on Today FM www.todayfm.com in a few mins.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

there aro so many crashes on our roads to prove that the level of driving skill is so low and then to complicate things further lets drive on the other side of the road as well :rolleyes: ?

only a FOOL would come up with sh**e like that :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Listening to the today fm interview now. Jaysus. Why not ban pregnant women from driving too?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

What a Cabbage !
    Could ye only imagine the hassle that'd cause .
    Is there not more pressing issues for the seanad to be dicussing :confused:

And as for the speed limit on foreign drivers LOL
    If your british ,and coming to ireland for a holiday , you may add on a few days as you can only travel at a max of 80km/h :p
    I have to say also that some foreign countries have a far higher standard of driving than here (Eg. England - Its a pleasure to drive there !)

Things are bad enough to do with motoring here without muppets like donie cassidy suggesting silly things like that :eek:

John

• Advertisement

I think the only solution for this hole of a country is: Coup d'état

Advertisement