Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do??!!

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

ive just been made aware that my car is on finance with the previous owner.
    foolishly i took his word and believed him when he said there wasnt.
    anyways whats done is done.
    what do i do now??
    i have th car nearly a year now.
    i dont think i have the chaps number anymore.
    how can i find out if he is keeping the payments up or if hes in arrears and theyr gonna come looking for my car.
    or his car as the case may be.
    please no replies with you should have got it checked properly because i know that now!!!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

The fact that you have it a year and they havent come after you is a good sign - `cos if he was defaulting on his payments then Im sure they would be after you by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

ye thats what i was thinking. would his payments be coming out like dd's. i was so annoyed when i found out. i wont be taking anybodys word for anything. naive. tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

If your sources also know the finance company it might be worthwhile calling them to give your side of the story and see if they can take the issue up with the person who originally took out the finance?

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. She bought a car and drove it for 2 years, traded it in last year against a newer car into a garage. Had the new car 1 day and got a call to say she had to bring it back to the garage as there was finance still owing and they could not sell it on - she bought it for cash 2 years previously!

The previous owner had taken out finance and even though he sold the car on, was still paying the finance back every month without fail. The garage ended up taking this up with the finance company and she left on day 2 with the new car as bought the day previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Or maybe the finance company have not tracked you down yet. Try and contact the previous owner, try the tax office or shannon, but you will probably need to get a solicitor to do this, or if you are friends with a guard, they will be able to tell you. Explain the situation to him and try and get the finance cleared. Maybe he did sent the cheque in to pay it, but the finance company forgot to show it clear. Also contact the Finance company, they might be able to sort this out or give details of the previous owner. The data protection act may not allow the previous owners details being giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

The wifes car that I bought from a garage had been showing on finance when I bought it.
    I know the Manager and wasnt concerned , only came up when I sold it on - was still showing as outstanding.
    HPI hadnt cleared it even though finance had been settled - you could be lucky and its only a clerical error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Misticles wrote: »
    ye thats what i was thinking. would his payments be coming out like dd's. i was so annoyed when i found out. i wont be taking anybodys word for anything. naive. tut tut.

How did you come find it there was still finance owed on the car?

i cant really say to be honest. i know people. i rang hpi to verify though :D:D
    i do know the finance company that it is with. tried ringin car reg in shannon-- no answer. they dont deal wit phone queries after 3 now.
    ill be tryin them again tomor.

anybody else have any input on this??

anybody been in this situation??

Advertisement