Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post issues

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,

I've been expecting letters from France to be delivered here, in Dublin, for the last 2 1/2weeks now, and still no signs of them ! :mad:

There's no tracking ID, sent via std post.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

F.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FDuff wrote:
    Hi,

I've been expecting letters from France to be delivered here, in Dublin, for the last 2 1/2weeks now, and still no signs of them ! :mad:

There's no tracking ID, sent via std post.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

F.

Two months for a parcel from Paris- and I was sent a proof of posting by Violet, the company who were sending it. It has turned up- eventually. No explanation as to where its been, but someone in the GPO suggested to me that there are trolley loads of Dublin inbound parcels and post from overseas sitting down in Portlaoise- which is where its all sorted now (since they closed the sorting office on the Naas road).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've had it with An Post. I've had to re-deliver 3 letters in the last month delivered to my house, addressed to people on different streets nearby but with the same number. All printed, so no chance of misreading the address. all fairly important - two of them were bank statments (I know because I got one the same day from the same bank), the third had a government stamp on it.

But the last straw was last night - doorbell rang about 9pm, answered it to find a stranger who lives nearby dropping in post which had been delivered to her by mistake. Again, clearly addressed to me. And what was it? My TV license renewal form, from An Post. Shower of muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

got letter today from a government dept which was posted on 30th of january. also my sister recieved a letter from an address here in carlow whivh was posted early december! two months to deliver a letter less than a mile! maybe an post should just shut up shop and let someone elso do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I got a letter containing match tickets posted via Airmail from the UK on jan 9th, on 30th Jan. Luckily the match was early Feb.

Things are going from bad to worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I live in a rural area and the postman seems to only come up this road when he feels like it. If there is only post for one or two houses then he doesn't bother. There are only two postmen covering a huge area here which includes a mountain.

Quite often he delivers my brother's post to me because he lives up said mountain and postie can't be bothered to go up that particular road because there are only two houses on it and only one has got post. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Bought a dvd from Play.com which was shipped about 2 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived. Usually don't have a problem,stuff from play comes within 5-7 days so An Post must be slower than usual over the last few weeks. Really annoying. Play have definatly dispatched it so must be on the An Post end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

tvnutz wrote: »
    Bought a dvd from Play.com which was shipped about 2 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived. Usually don't have a problem,stuff from play comes within 5-7 days so An Post must be slower than usual over the last few weeks. Really annoying. Play have definatly dispatched it so must be on the An Post end.

An Post do not collect from source. Royal Mail are also having issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They really are hit-and-miss. It took a month for a package to come from the UK recently. Normally takes a week, though I did get one in 3 days last week. In November, we were quite surprised to receive a package from Australia just 3 days after its post date. So the post can go well. But also very, very badly too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should not re-deliver mail misdelivered by An Post. This may well be illegal. Only An Post is permitted to deliver ordinary post. Also, An Post will not indemnify you against accidents or damage whilst making the delivery on their behalf. Also, remember, that An Post is a commercial company, not a social service - An Post management are very clear on this matter - . It does not make sense to take risks or make deliveries on their behalf.

The correct procedure is to ring An Post customer service and ask them to pick up the incorrectly delivered mail. This is what I did. I stopped getting other people's mail after that. Doesn't help you actually get your mail, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You should not re-deliver mail misdelivered by An Post. This may well be illegal. Only An Post is permitted to deliver ordinary post. Also, An Post will not indemnify you against accidents or damage whilst making the delivery on their behalf. Also, remember, that An Post is a commercial company, not a social service - An Post management are very clear on this matter - . It does not make sense to take risks or make deliveries on their behalf.

The correct procedure is to ring An Post customer service and ask them to pick up the incorrectly delivered mail. This is what I did. I stopped getting other people's mail after that. Doesn't help you actually get your mail, mind you.

That's interesting. Any source for that? (Not doubting you, just curious about it).

Although tbh if it came to it I'd probably just bin something rather than sit around waiting for someone to come collect it. Though I wonder would that work with all those useless NTL junk letters I keep getting? "Hello, An Post? I keep getting stuff addressed to a T Householder, who doesn't live here. can you come take it away please?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's there in black and white in section 63 of the Postal and Telecommunications Act 1983.

http://acts.oireachtas.ie/zza24y1983.5.html#zza24y1983s63

"63. —(1) The company shall, subject to the provisions of this section, have the exclusive privilege in respect of the conveyance of postal packets within, to and from the State and the offering and performance of the services of receiving, collecting, despatching and delivering postal packets."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FDuff

well, I've actually picked up my parcel this morning, at least one of them made it here from France! It only took 3 weeks (!). I guess the delay was caused by the postal strike that went on in France a few weeks ago and my stuff ended up in backlog.

There's a handwritten note on it, it looks like it arrived in Dublin on the 11/02, and the post here went on to deliver it to me on that same day :eek: pretty impressive! So I guess, AnPost s doing a good job - at least - these days.

Now, I'm wondering how long it will take for the 2nd one to arrive...
    :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

FDuff wrote: »
    well, I've actually picked up my parcel this morning, at least one of them made it here from France! It only took 3 weeks (!). I guess the delay was caused by the postal strike that went on in France a few weeks ago and my stuff ended up in backlog.

I ordered TGV tickets from Paris on Tuesday morning and they arrived Thursday morning.

By any stretch that's fast.

parsi wrote:
    I ordered TGV tickets from Paris on Tuesday morning and they arrived Thursday morning.

By any stretch that's fast.

Thats true. I got a postcard from South Africa 2 days after it was posted- which is totally brilliant. Unfortunately its so erratic- it can be the best postal system in the world, or by far the worst, without any indication what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

an post used to advertise their great next day delivery stats usually reaching around 95% within ireland and a similar high % for the uk and europe for two day delivery but they are not saying much since opening their new sorting depots.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    an post used to advertise their great next day delivery stats usually reaching around 95% within ireland and a similar high % for the uk and europe for two day delivery but they are not saying much since opening their new sorting depots.

I agree, sending all Dublin packages and all incoming foreign mail to Portlaoise, just to realise a gain from the sale of their Naas Road premises was shortsighted in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Can someone comment on a couple of things for me ,about an post.

Basically I got a delivery from HMV this week 10/3 dated back from 25/2 . It was a large box ,so a guy in a van delivered it.
    There was another item shipped from HMV three days earlier 22/2,which the standard guy should have delivered already, no show.

Also waiting on something from the north ,that always comes next day standard hand delivery. Should have been delivered on tuesday.

Whats bugging me is ,the last package was clearly opened from HMV. I'm not sure if it was customs or if someone just wanted to have a gander.

Anyone any ideas?

If its from the Channel Islands? there could have been duty issues- maybe it was opened to check the contents to see the declaration wasn't taking the piss? Anything from a non-EU source (incl. the channel islands etc) can be opened- thats what the little green sticker on it means.

I've a problem- posted a large letter (A4 sized) in a postbox on Kildare Street, Dublin 2, to Galway on Tuesday the 26th of February. Its not arrived yet :( Its my P60, medical expenses and other stuff for my tax return- and its going to be a bitch to try and replace the stuff. It wasn't registered (as there wasn't going to be anyone there to sign for it)- its over 2 weeks ago now, should I bite the bullet and accept that its probably lost for good, or give it another while? Its only going to Galway- and it did have appropriate postage on it. :(:(

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Urgh - same thing happened me. I sent off medical expenses claim form and documentation (luckily I sent copies) in Jan - rang the Revenue last week to see what the delay was and they had never received the stuff. I know you can't automatically blame an post for this but i've never had a problem with stuff going missing to the revenue before.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Urgh - same thing happened me. I sent off medical expenses claim form and documentation (luckily I sent copies) in Jan - rang the Revenue last week to see what the delay was and they had never received the stuff. I know you can't automatically blame an post for this but i've never had a problem with stuff going missing to the revenue before.

Its so difficult trying to get copies of all this stuff- and I never kept copies- just assumed there wouldn't be an issue. Mine was going to my parents in Galway who had offered to help with it. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm going to re-send the stuff to the revenue registered post, it's only 5 euro. Worth it in this sort of case I think!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You can do it online as well and it takes very little time - we had ours back in less than a week.

parsi wrote: »
    You can do it online as well and it takes very little time - we had ours back in less than a week.

Mine isn't a regular PAYE return- otherwise I'd follow suit.
    Got my P60 reissued today along with a bunch of receipts- lots more to go.
    You live, you learn.

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    If its from the Channel Islands? there could have been duty issues- maybe it was opened to check the contents to see the declaration wasn't taking the piss? Anything from a non-EU source (incl. the channel islands etc) can be opened- thats what the little green sticker on it means.

Yep ,the delivery was from hmv guernsey . It was a large boxset valued at£10 and given the weight ,someone probably got suspicous.

In general I don't have any issues with An post ,especially with the likes of komplett.
    I certainly never came accross what you folks have ,I'd consider stuff like that a tad more serious tbh. I hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've been waiting for something to come from the US for almost five weeks now (standard first class post). I've ordered other things from the same website during that time and they've all arrived within a week- I'm fairly worried, that's $94 worth of stuff floating around in the post for 5 weeks (the website doesn't offer insured or trackable shipping to Ireland). Any idea if An Post are still having issues, or should I just give it up for lost?

Gauge wrote: »
    I've been waiting for something to come from the US for almost five weeks now (standard first class post). I've ordered other things from the same website during that time and they've all arrived within a week- I'm fairly worried, that's $94 worth of stuff floating around in the post for 5 weeks (the website doesn't offer insured or trackable shipping to Ireland). Any idea if An Post are still having issues, or should I just give it up for lost?

Things are slow for a lot of people,I've been talking to various people from different parts of dublin.
    They seem to think stuff is taking a lot longer than usual.

311 wrote: »
    Things are slow for a lot of people,I've been talking to various people from different parts of dublin.
    They seem to think stuff is taking a lot longer than usual.

Any particular reason?
    There hasn't been anything in the news about industrial action?
    Its a bit depressing to be honest- we don't have a postal service that you can rely on with any degree of confidence whatsoever......

I actually asked several people from an post and they all said ,everything was normal.

But four people I know have told me ,that they are waiting on various air mail deliveries .
    They were quite sure they'd normally have recieved them by now.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote:
    I've a problem- posted a large letter (A4 sized) in a postbox on Kildare Street, Dublin 2, to Galway on Tuesday the 26th of February. Its not arrived yet :( Its my P60, medical expenses and other stuff for my tax return- and its going to be a bitch to try and replace the stuff. It wasn't registered (as there wasn't going to be anyone there to sign for it)- its over 2 weeks ago now, should I bite the bullet and accept that its probably lost for good, or give it another while? Its only going to Galway- and it did have appropriate postage on it. :(:(

Shane

Wahoooo!!!!
    It turned up in Galway today- over 3 weeks later- and without any explanation whatsoever. I'm relieved, though more than a bit pissed off at An Post. Almost 4 weeks for an envelope from Dublin to Galway- its ridiculous to be honest. There is no point in my complaining- as its not going to do anything, though I am pissed as hell at An Post.

Moral of the story is probably to hang on in there- even weeks later stuff can turn up. Next time I use a courier..... Its pricey, but its worth more than my sanity.

S.

Advertisement