Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hairdryers on posts ?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

What are those hairdryer like things that are appearing on posts and gantrys at the side of the road all over the place, usually but not always near junctions ? Are they radars for collecting traffic volume statistics, licence plate readers, or cameras for some purpose ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Omcd wrote: »
    What are those hairdryer like things that are appearing on posts and gantrys at the side of the road all over the place, usually but not always near junctions ? Are they radars for collecting traffic volume statistics, licence plate readers, or cameras for some purpose ?

Those are emergency hair dryers, for convertible drivers mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

If it's what I think you are describing, they are for traffic monitoring/reports

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

CPG wrote: »
    Those are emergency hair dryers, for convertible drivers mostly.

And Hyundai Coupé driving hairdressers with broken sunroofs (see relevant thread. Too lazy to look it up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Reg. plate readers I reckon. There is usually one each aimed at each lane of a dual carriageway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Reg. plate readers I reckon. There is usually one each aimed at each lane of a dual carriageway.

I'd agree with Max . They are usually a pre-cursor for Congestion charges . The Software is very similar .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Are these the thing you are talking about

img00034pv6.jpg

Thought they were pre speed cameras. ie finding good spots for speed camera when they become privatised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Thought they were pre speed cameras. ie finding good spots for speed camera when they become privatised

ha ha the nonsense people push and/or believe!! the are actually ways for "the man" to keep tabs on you!!

traffic monitoring simple as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Yes Voxpop, those are the things.

My guess is that they are just radars/ultrasonic which simply count the volume of cars passing for statistical purposes rather than having to cut up a road to put a ground loop in, but that's just a guess.

Because of their usual proximity to the exits of junctions, I did originally think that they might be digital red light cameras, until I came across one sticking out of a bush on a country road (N78 near Kilcullen I think, also some on the Naas Road now).

It's obvious they are monitoring something to do with traffic - but what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I always wondered what these are

itd make sense if they counted traffic stats and automatically adjusts the timing of the lights depending on these stats
    however something this complicated must be beyond the council

Advertisement