Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista 30 day trial

• 07-02-2008 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Okay, I am getting a copy of Vista Ultimate in a couple of weeks so to tide me over I installed a trial version of Vista Basic on my PC (it came with no OS).

The trouble is that I only installed Vista Basic a few days ago and now it has suddenly said that I have 3 days left to active instead of the 27 days that I should have left? I had automatic updates on so I suppose that an update distubed the trial clock or something?

<snip>

Will this keep happening if I re-install?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you reinstall over the top it won't extend the life.

maybe a reformat - not sure if they include the vol label in the hash because your hardware won't have changed so it will appear to be the same machine as before.

I thought all windows 30 day pre release trials ended when the OS shipped

you can get 180 day trial of 2003 server and probably 2008 server in the meantime too

If you don't have the new copy of vista yet then you don't have the license to use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I thought all windows 30 day pre release trials ended when the OS shipped

If you install Vista and don't enter a product key, it installs as a 30 day trial version. Although not in this case apparently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

oh yeah :o

the pre release betas expire by date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I installed Vista from an OEM disk that shipped with my laptop at it came up as a 30 day trial. The problem is that automatic updates were on and I download all of the available updates then when I checked it said 3 days for automatic activation. So I'm guessing that is the problem. I suppose I'll re-install it tomorrow and turn automatic updates off and see what happens.

I had a trial version of Server 2008 (that will last until the 30th of June) but it is terrible as an OS, I cannot even install Windows Media Player on that version so that's why I wanted to use Vista for 30 days until I get a full copy.

(Btw, that piece that you snipped out of my original post is not a crack, Microsoft obviously put that in for people to extend their evaluation period).

Advertisement