Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise please to sell my car

Options
  • 07-02-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all I am new to this forum. I have bought a very good looking 98 Opel Astra Club 3 weeks ago for 2500, 10 days ago there is a sound in engine and I have shown it to 2 mechanics, both of them told that the engine needs to be changed as soon as possible. Don't know what to do, Should keep it and put 1500 more to fix it or should i sell it. I bought it of a private sale.

the mechanic told me that to part exchange that car is the best option. how much is it valued for if i do that. please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I would have thought that you could get a secondhand engine fitted to that car for less than €1,500. The only way the car will be worth anything on a trade-in is if you don't tell the garage what's wrong with it and they don't notice. Even if you were to manage to get away with this (and it's unlikely), it's hardly good karma. If I were you i'd have the car repaired and keep it. And next time, have a mechanic look the car over prior to purchase.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyminded

thanks for that Annan. Say for example if i get away with a garage like that would he not come back to me to press charges or any kind of legal action on me.

thanks for that Annan. Say for example if i get away with a garage like that would he not come back to me to press charges or any kind of legal action on me.
    No offence, but you don't seem clever enough to defraud the average motor trader. Just get the car repaired and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

If its a 1.4 astra you could find it hard to get an engine. I had to get one in England for a guy I worked with. When I phoned around the breakers yards here I was told that its difficult to get astra (and for that matter golf) engines as they were prone to failure. The engine I got cost 500 sterling. Do'nt know how much it would cost to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeah, in fairness what you said was just completely silly ... think about it for a minute.

If that was the case wouldnt you have legal comeback on the guy that sold you this lemon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

groupb wrote: »
    If its a 1.4 astra you could find it hard to get an engine. I had to get one in England for a guy I worked with. When I phoned around the breakers yards here I was told that its difficult to get astra (and for that matter golf) engines as they were prone to failure. The engine I got cost 500 sterling. Do'nt know how much it would cost to fit.

Are you serious.

There are no shortage of Astra engines around.

Ardee breakers have them.
    Traynors in Armagh have them.

and thats without looking further afield.

If your mechanic is any good they ll have to replaced for 600-700e tops.

Engine about 400e.

Did your mechanic say exactly what is wrong with the engine. Because if its a head gasket just get it changed. I would be afraid if the mechanic seen you coming you know what I mean. Is it a very loud knocking noise.

yes exactly. there is loud knocking noise when the car is on nuetral and accelerated when driving the noise is bit low but u can hear everytime u press clutch and accelerator

one mechanic said he have open engine to find it out and the other one said it needs new engine and not to drive it as the piston slides and it will blew up the engine and oil everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sounds the bottom end bearing is gone and the engine probably will need replacing.

Google Traynors in Armagh and see the number of Astra's they have for breaking, give them a call and find out if they have your engine or a 1.6 16v :D and then add 700e on top of that to install.

If you try and trade it in they will ask you to start the car, if its a loud knocking noise they may give you minimum value for your car, as they will know from the sound of the car that something is wrong.

Its up to you.

I would a girl here, she bought a 02 MG ZR with no engine, went to Traynors and got an engine and got it put in, she's still flying around in the car only cost her 3k

Or...you could scrap it and buy my misses car.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

kluivert wrote: »
    Google Traynors in Armagh and see the number of Astra's they have for breaking, give them a call and find out if they have your engine or a 1.6 16v :D and then add 700e on top of that to install.

Just a note, I had to replace cylinder head in a 1.4 Astra after my timing belt went before... I rang traynors about a 1.6 engine. If you go down that route, (certainly on 2001 model) you'll have to change the gearbox and engine mounts. Probably better off swapping like for like.

I got mine from Loftus Engineering in Harolds Cross. They took my wrecked cylider head as part exchange against a reconditioned one. Their number is 01-4540609. This is going back to 2004 so dunno if they're still around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Not sure if this works but i heard an oil change and some oil additive added will reduce/eliminate engine knock for a period of time, maybe enough time to trade it in.....
    I can hear the PC brigade screaming that this is dishonest and under no sircumstance should it be done.......But its what i would do
    The dealer you trade it into will sell it on to an auction or something....most wont retail an old thing like that.
    Just move the problem on....Its what the dealers do.....

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Not sure if this works but i heard an oil change and some oil additive added will reduce/eliminate engine knock for a period of time, maybe enough time to trade it in.....
    I can hear the PC brigade screaming that this is dishonest and under no sircumstance should it be done.......But its what i would do
    The dealer you trade it into will sell it on to an auction or something....most wont retail an old thing like that.
    Ah, the old 'Ah sure everyone else is doing it too...' Served us well in the eighties, didn't it?

Thanks for that MR boots Is it just any oil or we need to change or some particular oil and additive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the dealer will get you to sign a disclaimer to say that there is nothing wrong with the car and that it is safe to drive, i know i had to when i was trading in, then when they find out the engine is gone they can come after you legally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks for that MR boots Is it just any oil or we need to change or some particular oil and additive

Sounds like he's going down that route!
    Just fix it and put it down as a lesson not to be as silly as to buy a car privately without a mechanic when you know nothing about cars.
    A lesson bought is a lesson taught!

It's special, magic oil. I'm sure Mr Boots will sell you some at the special, magic price of €100/litre.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No Smoke isn't it ? I know someone who traded in their Polo with a blown head on it after throwing in a litre of this stuff.

also, 2500 euro on a 98 Corsa ... You got SERIOUSLY ripped off, i wouldn't have paid more than 1000 max for it.

Biro wrote: »
    Sounds like he's going down that route!
    Just fix it and put it down as a lesson not to be as silly as to buy a car privately without a mechanic when you know nothing about cars.
    A lesson bought is a lesson taught!

I am more inclined towards fixing it now. Any mores ideas on buying second hand engines or new engines what to look for etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You could always just put a bit of effort in...
    Ring traynors, they deliver to the south and they will stand by the engine too.
    Put it down to experience, they guy that sold it to ya prob put a set of big end bearings in it just so it would last long enought to find a victim..
    You could always throw a gallon of 80/90 gearoil in, might be hard started on cold mornings but it should quiet it down a bit... oh and turn up the radio real loud

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

i think you should ring up the guy you bought it from and call him/her a cnut! wont do any good, but its what id do.

there are tons of astras around im sure with a bit of ringing around you could get a replacement engine, local scrapyard maybe that took a damaged car in that wasnt worth repairing by insurance and the engine might still be in prefect order. Id take someone who knows what they are looking at if you go check one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Didnt think the PC squade would like that idea.......Love to see what they would do if lumped with a 2.5k motor that was woth zero........theyd be to busy up their soapbox to do anything i guess....
    But i guess your all right...what gose around comes around.
    Get it fixed and sell it before something else goes bang.
    Probably better to bring it to a mechanic and get a expert diagnosis.
    Engine noises are hard to diagnose on paper.....
    You might be lucky and it may not be as bad as feared.
    Good luck

Advertisement