Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise pls - Buying a car that has finance owed - Car in flood?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I asked a seller would the the ownership papers match his current address.
    The answer - "The ownership papers are with the dealer/bank financing our car" So if buying the car I pay his finance co I presume?

How to tell if a car was in a flood? Aside from looking for water marks.

if a car is a 2004 - it doesnt need an NCT? When does it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If the owner doesnt keep up payments the bank can sieze the car as he never actually owned it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Walk away.

Else you never own the car, the bank do. They should clear the outstanding finance first before selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I bought with finance owed once. Made the payment payable to the bank, not the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I would imagine that there could be a genuine case where the owner wants to sell has kept up repayments, but there is a balance owed to the bank.

The seller has said there is finance owed straight away on first contact. He is German and most Germans are up front business wise. But there are exceptions, Im not naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pay the bank not him and make sure he doesnt owe more than you re paying. Ring the finance company and get them to confirm that they will release ownership to you on payment of whatever sum. If anything left over, give to guy selling.

Hard to pick out a flood damaged car. Just look for obvious stuff. Make sure everything works perfectly. do history check if high value car as it would have a claim on it if flooded. Try to get under carpet in footwells to check for nastiness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

On finance deals once you pay 60%+ back you own the car not the bank, ask him what he is doing i.e. repaying the loan, more than likely you can pay the finance crowd back yourself and it will save him some hassle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Foot wells - where your feet are when driving right?

I can picture the scene - whipping out a stanley and slicing the carpet
    and spraying with luminol CSI style! Feck it might as well check it proper.

mickdw wrote: »
    pay the bank not him and make sure he doesnt owe more than you re paying. Ring the finance company and get them to confirm that they will release ownership to you on payment of whatever sum. If anything left over, give to guy selling.

Hard to pick out a flood damaged car. Just look for obvious stuff. Make sure everything works perfectly. do history check if high value car as it would have a claim on it if flooded. Try to get under carpet in footwells to check for nastiness.

Advertisement