Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Confusion

Options
  • 07-02-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Looking at upgrading my build, will go either way, AMD or Intel, but can't make head nor tail of which processor to choose from either of them, what with Core Two Duo this and Core Two Duo Quad that, and Athlon 64 FX here and Athlon Dual-Core there - its all a big mess...

I use the PC for bit of gaming, bit of work, bit of surfing, bit of everything really...

Any clarity welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Simplest way to go is get a G0 stepping Q6600. And build the rest around that. The chip is amazingly cheap compared to what it was at release ! get a 8800GT/GTS/GTX if your a serious gamer. Or casual gaming with a smaller then a 22" widescreen get something like a 8800GS or an ATI 3850. 2GB of ram is the minimum ( ddr 6400 ) a 500W+ branded powersupply. To save on cash you can probably use yoru current dvd/hdd's. And probabaly your case too. Thats the basics really. I've probably left a bit out but imrushing to finish up work so i can go home !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The obvious question is how much do you want to spend?

Intel chips are generally regarded as the better option at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

How much do you wanna spend?
    What type of mobo is it going into?
    Would you like a hot processor or one that runs cooler?

Is the sky blue...:D

Ignorance is bliss my friend.
    Just go into your nearest shop or go online and pick the first one you that you see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Thanks for the replies folks - I have a socket 939 board, thought it was going to be a bit future proof but then they went all AM2 and AM2+ so lookin at mobo's now too...

I see komplett have Athlon 64 X2s for €60-70, that might be sort of what I'd go for now, but should I even bother with the AM2+ Phenom's and stuff for future proofing? Guess you can't really get fully future proof stuff anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

This kinda thing looks interesting, only 260 odd squids:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339003

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

For 24 beans extra you get an Intel one.

Ok, it's only 2GB of RAM but it's a better processor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

RAM is very cheap too at the moment, so you could probably pick up another 2 or 4 GB within a couple of months of saving the pocket money :)

Actually, looking at the Intel upgrade kit, tis PC5300 RAM, but that's not a major problem. I'd go with that Intel kit and look at getting more (faster) RAM in 3 or 4 months time when you have a few eurons to spend again - or buy mine - link in my sig ;) (sorry guys)

But Intel is defo the better option and that's a 1333MHz board, which'll be more future proof.

At this stage, a vital question is, what kind of video card have you got? No point getting all this stuff if your graphics aren't up to speed :D

Advertisement