Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are History and Heritage important today?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 6:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd pose this question to you guys, as I've had trouble explaining it others. For me understanding history and my heritage is very important and has led me to make decisions in my life for and against different issues.

But it seems to me like a large portion of the general population just dont care. So why *are* history and heritage important? How do we communicate the relevance of each to the majority - without sounding too bias?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Without wanting to sound too pretentious knowledge/awareness of history provide you with a perspective and a more critical understanding of the world we live in today. Socially, politically culturally - a knowlege of history makes it easier to see these things from a more strategic (or long term) perspective rather than looking at each item of current events in isolation. In addition its always good to know how & why things developed and became the way they are in the world we live in today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I agree with you, and you dont seem pretentious - but how do we make history and heritage seem important to the majority? How do we simplify it, for want of a better term. Why should they (the majority) care, why is it important (to their eyes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Absolutely no idea. I think primary and secondary school teachers who can make it interesting are very important. I still remember primary school hearing about sparta & thermopylae etc and all of us having our little minds blown away by that :) I think that kind of talented teacher who can make it alive and interesting can give people an appreciation that carries on into adult life.

For people outside of primary or secondary school and not in college I actually think the history channels can be useful - though often they 'tabloid'-ise history into one hour bite sized profiles that resemble celebrity channel profiles.

There are also video sites on the web where a large portion of their content is high quality history channel(s)/PBS/Other major media outlet documentary programming (not sure if I am allowed to name them) this also disseminates the information in a way that more and more people find digestible (thats my 2 cents anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

One of the problems is that when you simplify history you turn it into goodies versus baddies - and real life is rarely that simple. I find the study of the complexities and contradictions in history to be fascinating, but I despair of that ever becoming popular. As this board so often demonstrates, people have a tendency to categorise everything and everyone in simplistic and stereotypical terms - then to abuse or denigrate anything that does not fit into their view.

I believe a fuller understanding of history should produce greater diversity and toleration. It should also help us to see the futility of violence and patriotism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

PDN wrote: »
    I believe a fuller understanding of history should produce greater diversity and toleration. It should also help us to see the futility of violence and patriotism.

I think that's is quite well said, however, I dont think it answers my question. Which was: Why are heritage and history important today to the majority?

Also, no one seems to mention heritage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you don't know how we arrived at this point then you can't know how to move forward. Regards making history interesting-thats more a general education problem. How do we make maths, or accountancy, or even reading and writing interesting? The amount of people leaving school with literacy problems is far too high for a developed nation. It seems to me that most people fall into a subject they are good at or interested in and work towards that, while keeping the others on because they have to.

I think maths/accountancy are relevant today because they offer clear career paths which leads to money. But History and Heritage offer nothing tangable of "use"...

I amnt talking about from an education pov, more a worth pov. What WORTH have hist and heritage?

Advertisement