Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you get busted by a uniformed cop without his hat?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am curious to know can you be done for a traffic offense by a uniformed cop not wearing his hat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

???

What makes you think you can't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yes, that was a myth years ago that you couldnt be done by one. Ive seen enough people arrested by guards without their hats to know its bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

"Hats off" to and Garda that does. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Had a similar thread a good few months ago on the same subject. Tell you what to do. Put it to the test knock a Garda's hat off and punch him in the face and tell you can't be arrested:D

In no way am I endorsing the use of violence against our Law upholders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Was it you that took his/her hat? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Halfdog wrote: »
    I am curious to know can you be done for a traffic offense by a uniformed cop not wearing his hat?

Oh dear.....

Reminds me of the thread a few months back about some guy complaining about his girlfriend getting a ticket or something and the gard made her cry - but he didn't have his hat on so maybe she could get off it.

I'm sure many readers of the thread had the same opinion as me - it doesn't matter if the gard whipped out his cóck and smacked it across her face whilst singing "as long as you love me" by by the backstreet boys and smeared tipex all over his body - she'd still get the ticket :D:D:D

Bloody muppets - take your damn punishment and learn a lesson

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If a garda comes up to you, smack them on the head so hard that the hat flies off. They are then rendered powerless from a legal perspective!
    Trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

No, except for hat theft!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes, of course you can..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

kbannon wrote: »
    If a garda comes up to you, smack them on the head so hard that the hat flies off. They are then rendered powerless from a legal perspective!
    Trust me!
    U bastard i tried that after work...it didnt work at all!!!
    its like you wanted me to get in trouble or somthing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think you should adamantly contest your driving offense in court - the judge'd totally be on your side (unless he's not wearing his wig)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

skaterdude wrote: »
    U bastard i tried that after work...it didnt work at all!!!
    its like you wanted me to get in trouble or somthing
    You obviously did it wrong! Did you knock their hat off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

mobrien.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

A taxi drive once told me that all African imigrants get a free car when they come to Ireland.

Classic. Any other urban motoring myths?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

lightening wrote: »
    A taxi drive once told me that all African imigrants get a free car when they come to Ireland.

I think I had that taxi man. He was African, and said he didnt pay for the car. Actually....

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

lightening wrote: »

I think you'll find that's not exactly a myth. Assylum seekers were given an allowence (a few years ago anyway probably still are now) towards purchasing a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

endplate wrote: »
    I think you'll find that's not exactly a myth. Assylum seekers were given an allowence (a few years ago anyway probably still are now) towards purchasing a car

I can't believe people are still falling for that bull. They get about 20 quid a week to live on!!

BTW OP. Aside from him not having his cap on I wouldn't recommend asking him for it take a wizz in either. And he also does not have to give you his cape to keep you dry if it is raining. Pay the shaggin' ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Halfdog wrote: »

No. And only the river Gardai have juristiction on O'Connell Bridge!*

* May in fact be a bunch of lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I also heard that it is not illegal to sh1t in the street, if ya do deciede to squat the garda have to take off their coat and cover you... if ya held it in you could damage yourself!!!! true one of the guys selling the evening hearld told me

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've heard that one too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've heard that he has to be in full uniform (cap, jacket, the lot) in order to stop you (exceptions are made for motorcycles cops wearing helmets), but tbh, I wouldn't like to put it to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're in doubt whether you're dealing with the real article or not you can always ask the man/lady to show their ID. If they're stepping out of a company car or stepping of a company motorbike I'm afraid they are indeed the genuine article and that you just departed with 80 euro. BTW, they're supposed to be "on duty" all the time, not only when on defined station or beat duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

As long as the Garda identifies himself as such, his authority to arrest or detain remains.

The wearing of the full uniform is in Garda regulations, not the letter of the law. For example, detectives are usually in plain-clothes, but can still arrest people once they have identified themselves as Gardaí.

The "you aren't wearing your hat" excuse never fails to cause me to smile as I slap on the handcuffs or issue a ticket.

Advertisement