Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke Park last night

• 07-02-2008 6:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Anyone else last night find themselves having their attention taken off the match last night by the stunning site of Croke park in floodlights? It looked really really good. Like a canyon of supporters. I also got the impression that when the new Lansdowne is built the Irish team will be going back to very much the poorer cousin:( I hope the FAI can continue to rent Croker for the really big games. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anyone else last night find themselves having there attention taken off the match last night by the stunning site of Croke park in floodlights. It looked really really good. Like a canyon of supporters. I also got the impression that when the new lansdowne is built the Irish team will be going back to the poorer cousin:( I hope the FAI can continue to rent Croker for the really big games.

no, but i was distracted by all the paddypower ads being upside-down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Anyone else last night find themselves having their attention taken off the match last night by the stunning site of Croke park in floodlights. It looked really really good. Like a canyon of supporters. I also got the impression that when the new Lansdowne is built the Irish team will be going back to the poorer cousin:( I hope the FAI can continue to rent Croker for the really big games. Any toughts?

I hope we get out of CP as quick as possible so the FAI can stop funding evil.

the new LR will be streets ahead of the 10 year old CP in terms of spectator comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tauren wrote: »
    no, but i was distracted by all the paddypower ads being upside-down.

Clearly done on purpose. I only remember paddypower advertisements from last night and I'm sure it's the same for everyone else

genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

No, I was distracted by the amount of knackers inside and outside the stadium. A fight broke out between two of them in the lower Cusack and it took security at least one minute to break it up. Simply not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Shamrok wrote: »
    No, I was distracted by the amount of knackers inside and outside the stadium. A fight broke out between two of them in the lower Cusack and it took security at least one minute to break it up. Simply not good enough.

And that never happens at Lansdowne Road:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

And that never happens at Lansdowne Road:rolleyes:
    I never mentioned Lansdowne but since you did, I thought "security" was far worse last night in Croke Park than Lansdowne. The vast majority of them don't a fcuk what's happening around them. If I'm on my own I wouldn't be worried but If you've kids with you it's a different ball game. Maybe afternoon games would not be so bad (like most of the GAA ones there). Croker is an awesome stadium but the surrounding infrastructure is a big letdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looked well if only they would finish the Stadium, i.e. do something with the Hill. Not near as impressive as the Millenium stadium in Cardiff though, and the seating at the Millenium is much better i.e. you don't have to stand up to let people walk past and there is a nice gap between seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Croker is an awesome stadium but the surrounding infrastructure is a big letdown

What do you mean? Are you talking about transport links?

Villain wrote: »
    Looked well if only they would finish the Stadium, i.e. do something with the Hill. Not near as impressive as the Millenium stadium in Cardiff though, and the seating at the Millenium is much better i.e. you don't have to stand up to let people walk past and there is a nice gap between seats.

I dont think the Millenium stadium is as big as Croke Park? Granted it has all four sides of seating capacity but the stands in Croke Park look like much bigger then it. I agree about the hill though it too came across reasonably well last night.

micmclo wrote: »
    What do you mean? Are you talking about transport links?

compared to any other stadium of its size, there is nothing around it. there is nowhere to buy a scarf, have a beer and meet people outside like any other 80k stadium. compare it to the Olympico in Rome, a similar sized ground. there are parking spaces, stalls and loads of room for congregation and indeed even evacuation. CP is in the middle of houses.

• Advertisement

I dont think the Millenium stadium is as big as Croke Park? Granted it has all four sides of seating capacity but the stands in Croke Park look like much bigger then it. I agree about the hill though it too came across reasonably well last night.
    Oh I don't know Darkman2 I was up the top of the Hogan stand last night and it didn't look much bigger than when I sat in a simalar position in the Millenium stadium.

The Millenium holds 74,500 so it has a smaller capacity but as I said there is much more room at the the Millenium between seats and in front of seats.

CP is actually not a very well designed stadium. its very steep as its on a very restricted site and when it rains everyone is at risk. it looks great, and most seats have a good view, but in comparison to other 80k stadia in Europe its not very fan friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I cant believe you guys all the whining and moaning that the GAA would not let soccer into one of the best stadiums in europe and now soccer is being played there ye are whining and moaning it is not good enough for ye:rolleyes:

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I cant believe you guys all the whining and moaning that the GAA would not let soccer into one of the best stadiums in europe and now soccer is being played there ye are whining and moaning it is not good enough for ye:rolleyes:
    Who said it wasn't good enough?? Quotes please?

I said it was great in the past and simply said they should finish the hill which I know many non DUB GAA fans think too. Comparing it to other stadiums isn't saying it isn't good enough.

God some people are touchy :D

You most certainly didnt hear me call it one of the best stadiums in Europe. And no one is having a go at the place.

Its designed to be big, not comfortable due to the size of the site. Its not a moan, its a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Anyone else last night find themselves having their attention taken off the match last night by the stunning site of Croke park in floodlights? It looked really really good. Like a canyon of supporters. I also got the impression that when the new Lansdowne is built the Irish team will be going back to very much the poorer cousin:( I hope the FAI can continue to rent Croker for the really big games. Any thoughts?

I have been to every Ireland game at Croke Park and to be honest I cannot wait to get back to the new and improved Lansdowne Road.

At Croke Pk you're too far away from the action so it's not a good soccer stadium...and despite the huge leap in attendence the proportion of apathetic supporters, who just don't seem to give a **** about the action taking place before their eyes, seems to have drastically increased.

On a slightly off topic note something seriously has to be done about the stadium DJ(or whatever you'd call him?) The pre match build up is truly pathetic. The last three songs played before the players came out we're 'Big girls you are beautiful', Take Thats 'Rule the World' and I forgot the 3rd but it was equally crap...and what is with all the Eircom Ads on the screen during the game:confused:

If I was in charge of pre match build up I'd have a litany of the greatest international goals ever scored on the big screens, obviously with the odd sprinkling of important Ireland goals to get the crowd going, all accompanied by a kick ass soundtrack - simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Who said it wasn't good enough?? Quotes please?

I said it was great in the past and simply said they should finish the hill which I know many non DUB GAA fans think too. Comparing it to other stadiums isn't saying it isn't good enough.

God some people are touchy :D

it has nothing to do with dub GAA fans that the hill isnt all seated like the rest of it, it is because it is not possible. Something to do with the train tracks behind it afaik

compared to any other stadium of its size, there is nothing around it. there is nowhere to buy a scarf, have a beer and meet people outside like any other 80k stadium. compare it to the Olympico in Rome, a similar sized ground. there are parking spaces, stalls and loads of room for congregation and indeed even evacuation. CP is in the middle of houses.

There are loads of nearby pubs and plenty of people are selling hats, flags and scarves. How could you miss their stalls with all the shouting they do.
    Sure Mountjoy Square is 500 metres away if want a large public area to congregate and meet people.
    Regarding evacuation, I'd imagine there is a comprehensive safety plan in place.

it has nothing to do with dub GAA fans that the hill isnt all seated like the rest of it, it is because it is not possible. Something to do with the train tracks behind it afaik

I read somewhere that in the future they will build over tracks to finish the stadium but its too expensive atm. Something to do with the land. Engineering wise its easily possible. Also speculation about a roof aswell on wiki.

No quotes about people saying its not good enough so?

It is possible to improve the Hill not to the same extent as the opposite end but it is possible.

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that in the future they will build over tracks to finish the stadium but its too expensive atm. Something to do with the land. Engineering wise its easily possible. Also speculation about a roof aswell on wiki.

Even if you build over the tracks, there is very little room.
    Beside the tracks there is a 3 metre wide lane and then you meet private property.
    And if you build over the rail then you end up overshadowing houses that are less than 10 metres away and directly to the north. I know as I rent beside Hill 16.

Oh, I can see the objections already.
    Don't forget the residents committee tried to invoke the European Convention of Human Rights as these soccer matches retrict their right to travel. It's going to be great craic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

When they announced Croke Park redevelopment, the GAA president said under some act that the hill cant be covered. I have the plans here somewere i must look them up.

I have noticed that the amount of irish fans who dont have a clue about football has dratistically increased in CP. At the Wales match most ppl werent even watching the game. Then all this Mexican wave crap started. Its the one thing i hate about ireland in Croke park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I saw that fight myself at the cusack. Terrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I never mentioned Lansdowne but since you did, I thought "security" was far worse last night in Croke Park than Lansdowne

just so ya know mate, its the same security for all fai and irfu matches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

the hill will never be filled in/resized/or closed off, it is part of the historic building act (yes just that side of the stadium) because under the stand is the actual bricks from the gpo at the 1916 rising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

As has already been mentioned, it's not possible to expand the Hill because of the houses behind. Afaik, the GAA tried to buy the residents there out but they wouldn't sell. Pretty much the same problem that Shels had with Tolka but on a much larger scale.
    CP is actually not a very well designed stadium. its very steep as its on a very restricted site and when it rains everyone is at risk. it looks great, and most seats have a good view, but in comparison to other 80k stadia in Europe its not very fan friendly.

I'd argue that it is a very well designed stadium on a restricted site. There's nothing the GAA can do about that, bar buying all the houses around the stadium and that just isn't feasible.

Maybe they should have upped sticks and moved out to Tallaght instead of redeveloping Croke Park. I hear they're giving away stadiums out there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Best seating is without doubt at The Emirates,really really comfortable and great stadium. Millenium is good also but not as comfortable as The Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Granted the seats in the Emirates are massive and comfy, its an absolute pain in the hole to get out of.

• Advertisement

Grames bond hill 16 can be redevloped, no historic building act prevents that, the issue is the cost as the row of houses behind the hill adjacent to the rail line would have be purchased.

cson wrote: »
    Granted the seats in the Emirates are massive and comfy, its an absolute pain in the hole to get out of.

Not really hard to get out of, it really depends how much of a rush you are in,give it 30 mins after the match and I normally walk on the tube,no probs. True if you leave straight away you will have a wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the new LR will be streets ahead of the 10 year old CP in terms of spectator comfort.

. croker is a stadium to be proud of and its now a national source of pride. LR as u call it, is a farce and will mean that we are building a stadium 30000 under potential capacity. get a life and take off your anti gaa bias.

croker is among the best stadium in europe and its the envy of many countries......uefa love it and want to use it, but they are not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

you are an total f**king idiot. croker is a stadium to be proud of and its now a national source of pride. LR as u call it, is a farce and will mean that we are building a stadium 30000 under potential capacity. get a life and take off your anti gaa bias.

croker is among the best stadium in europe and its the envy of many countries......uefa love it and want to use it, but they are not allowed.

Yes it is, but not a top soccer stadium...i wouldn't even have it in the top 50 soccer stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Croke Park is great stadium in general. So much history behind it, I love it. I was at the Ireland V Brazil match which was my 1st time watching Ireland play ever live. I didnt get same the sense of excitement like you get a Dublin gaelic football match. But, I'm glad soccer was allowed to use Croke Park while Landowne is being developed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great stadium..... three quarters of the way around. The Hill looks ridiculous and gives the ground an unfinished look. I'd love if it was possible to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Feck back to Dalymount Park so... O wait......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

They seem to have learned from last year and put the ad boards cloaser to the pitch. Unfortunatley a soccer pitch just looks lost on the massive plaving surface of Croker. Maybe in future they should put a tarp over the massive spaces behind each goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My first time there for a soccer game, though I was at the inter-provincials under floodlights a few months back and it looked spectacular. Amazing stadium.

You'll have a dig at anything GAA won't you. It just looks so sad. The FAI are hardly the most organised sporting association in the world.

Nowhere to have a beer? In Ireland? Hang on there a second! Quinns, the Big Tree, even the Porterhouse isn't far. Nowhere to buy scarves? Walk down Drumcondra Road and tell me you can't get a scarf there. There's an Elverys at the entrance to the Hogan Stand, did you miss that as well?

So what if its in the middle of houses? Its been there 125 years. We can't just magically make the houses disappear. You are nitpicking to suit your anti-GAA agenda yet again. It's getting to the stage where I really couldn't give a flying toss about Thomas Davis and Rovers, you are just having digs left, right and centre for no reason whatsoever.
    creggy wrote: »
    Croke Park is great stadium in general. So much history behind it, I love it. I was at the Ireland V Brazil match which was my 1st time watching Ireland play ever live. I didnt get same the sense of excitement like you get a Dublin gaelic football match. But, I'm glad soccer was allowed to use Croke Park while Landowne is being developed though.

Nice post, it's how I feel about it too. As a once-off during the development of Lansdowne it really is a great thing to be able to say "I saw Ireland play in Croke Park".
    pithater1 wrote: »
    They seem to have learned from last year and put the ad boards cloaser to the pitch. Unfortunatley a soccer pitch just looks lost on the massive plaving surface of Croker. Maybe in future they should put a tarp over the massive spaces behind each goal.

It really does look out of place, but theres little that can be done about it unfortunately.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Nowhere to have a beer? In Ireland? .

Can you not get a beer in cp?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Can you get a beer in cp?

yes u can. ever been? however, seems to me that uefa ban beer at international games. to the clown that said theres no place to drink before hand, i could name 30 pubs within 10 minutes walk. no other stadium in europe can boast that. i love reading such idiotic posts.

• Advertisement

yes u can. ever been? however, seems to me that uefa ban beer at international games. to the clown that said theres no place to drink before hand, i could name 30 pubs within 10 minutes walk. no other stadium in europe can boast that. i love reading such idiotic posts.

Never been, it does look a great stadium apart from the terrace part.

Bit like the Champions league,can't get a beer in most part of stadiums but can in some parts, madness imo.

Bit like the Champions league,can't get a beer in most part of stadiums but can in some parts, madness imo.

errm, wat u on about? if u have never been, why you commenting?

errm, wat u on about? if u have never been, why you commenting?

what are you on about:confused:

Just asked if you could get a beer in cp :confused:

what are you on about:confused:

Just asked if you could get a beer in cp :confused:

u said that it can be got in some parts. there are bars all over croker, i assume the "some parts" are the hospitality and then the normal areas are not alcohol friendly.. this is not the case at gaa where you can buy alcohol all over the ground. it uefa that stop it, not the fai or croker. overall, YES, u can still get drink in croker!!!!

u said that it can be got in some parts. there are bars all over croker, i assume the "some parts" are the hospitality and then the normal areas are not alcohol friendly.. this is not the case at gaa where you can buy alcohol all over the ground. it uefa that stop it, not the fai or croker. overall, YES, u can still get drink in croker!!!!

Was talking about Champions league nights in soccer stadiums and UEFA having the same mad rule that you can't buy beer, but in some parts you can, not just hospitality, Highbury you used to be able to buy beer in North bank restaurant which was reserved for bondholders but almost anyone could get in. Didn't know the same rule applied for Internationals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yeah, don't have a clue what ONYD was on about there. There's absolutely loads of pubs around Croker. I've often contemplated doing a pub crawl along the Ballybough Road/Summerhill, although you'd be lucky to make it past the Clonliffe House!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Nunu wrote: »
    On a slightly off topic note something seriously has to be done about the stadium DJ(or whatever you'd call him?) The pre match build up is truly pathetic. The last three songs played before the players came out we're 'Big girls you are beautiful', Take Thats 'Rule the World' and I forgot the 3rd but it was equally crap...and what is with all the Eircom Ads on the screen during the game:confused:

If I was in charge of pre match build up I'd have a litany of the greatest international goals ever scored on the big screens, obviously with the odd sprinkling of important Ireland goals to get the crowd going, all accompanied by a kick ass soundtrack - simple really.

I agree with that I remember just as the players were in the tunnel so about 20 seconds before they come out (Cause they change to that kinda showdown music) they had Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love". Talk about trying to get the crowd hyped up. At least in Lansdowne they played Thin Lizzy and stuff like that. I am not saying that the new Lansdowne will be better than Croker cause lets face it who know's but they could at least play music that gets you slightly pumped up or something they can sing along to that will keep people happy but when your playing songs about braking up your boyfriend people aren't exactly going "Man I can't wait for this match" Like they should.

Also I prefer Lansdowne Road to Croker even though Croker is only down the road from me. Their was nothing like walking down to the train station and hoping on the train with loads of the other people heading to the match all talking about the last result and who their favourite player and who they think should play where. That for me was what going to Ireland matches was all about. Not going to the bus stop and hoping on a bus with skangers playing scooter on the back of the bus having a quiet little smoke behind the seat so the bus driver dosn't see. I know their are knackers on the Dart but they are alot easier to get away from on the Dart from my experiences.

creggy wrote: »
    I was at the Ireland V Brazil match which was my 1st time watching Ireland play ever live. I didnt get same the sense of excitement like you get a Dublin gaelic football match.

What the hell did you expect for a friendly?

Jesus like, a meaningless game against a half arsed team.

Wow, I can hardly contain myself here.
    stepbar wrote: »
    Feck back to Dalymount Park so... O wait......
    Er, Rovers don't play in Dalyer.
    You'll have a dig at anything GAA won't you. It just looks so sad.
    I think it's funny tbh :)
    The FAI are hardly the most organised sporting association in the world.
    er, you can hardly accuse eL folk of having some kind of pro-FAI Agenda, can you?
    Quinns, the Big Tree, even the Porterhouse isn't far.
    You could have named some decent pubs, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DesF wrote: »
    You could have named some decent pubs, to be fair.

So could you. :D

So could you. :D
    The Bar @ Tolka :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement