Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke Park last night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Right now Hill 16 is staying the way it is, which I think it quiet fine, I am sure in years to come the GAA and residents might come to an agreement so that it can be enclosed, and I am sure the stadium is designed in such a way that the change will be seamless.

But there is no hurry, the GAA are not under any pressure for a higher body to get their ground all seated or anything, plus keeping one side opens helps air movement and allows more light in which helps the playing surface.

I don’t think the historical aspect is as important as some wish to make it out, since 1986 alone Hill 16 has been redeveloped twice, so there is probably nothing from 1916 left at this stage, plus with soccer and rugby being played there the old school backward attitude regarding the history is no longer as relevant as it may have been 20 years ago.

On another note, why were there seats in the Hill on Wednesday, have FIFA\UEFA ruled that all games must be seated and not just competitive ones ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

redzerdrog wrote: »
    it has nothing to do with dub GAA fans that the hill isnt all seated like the rest of it, it is because it is not possible. Something to do with the train tracks behind it afaik

the connelly/maynouth train line directly behind the hill, and the row of housees behind, is probably to costly to build over, yes it does some times look uncompleted, but have been to croke park about 6 to 7 times, mainly for GAA, and i do think its a magnificant venue and an example of what can be done here, yes it might be in the middle of a residential area, not fantastc transport links, and no parking, but beats the hell out of having to play our 'home' games in the UK, think fans coming to the place for the first time and seeing it highlighted on TV to a UK and european to people who never knew it exsisted, really means that the new lansdown road will have to be equally as impressive, only feel sorry that the approx 20k people that wont get a seat there due to its smaller capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great GAA stadium, for soccer - my allocation is near the front of the Davin stand, great when the ball is down our end but you end up having to watch on the big screen otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Nunu wrote: »
    I have been to every Ireland game at Croke Park and to be honest I cannot wait to get back to the new and improved Lansdowne Road.

At Croke Pk you're too far away from the action so it's not a good soccer stadium...and despite the huge leap in attendence the proportion of apathetic supporters, who just don't seem to give a **** about the action taking place before their eyes, seems to have drastically increased.

On a slightly off topic note something seriously has to be done about the stadium DJ(or whatever you'd call him?) The pre match build up is truly pathetic. The last three songs played before the players came out we're 'Big girls you are beautiful', Take Thats 'Rule the World' and I forgot the 3rd but it was equally crap...and what is with all the Eircom Ads on the screen during the game:confused:

If I was in charge of pre match build up I'd have a litany of the greatest international goals ever scored on the big screens, obviously with the odd sprinkling of important Ireland goals to get the crowd going, all accompanied by a kick ass soundtrack - simple really.

i agree with nunu,ithink croker is a fabulous stadium and have also been to all the ireland games in the stadium but having said that it will be good when the new lansdowne rd is built croker isnt a soccer stadium,the amount of unenthused supporters seems to have dramtically increased cant say have been at a match yet in croker were the atmosphere has been electric.. fans to quick to look for the mexican wave instead of trying to get behind the team!
    also your right about the music how do they expect to get the crowd going with these crappy pop songs and adverts for feckin eircom :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

The music they play at ice hockey games is great, at every stoppage of play the P.A blasts out stuff like AC/DC and Metallica! That would get the place buzzing and no doubt motivate the players!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

just so ya know mate, its the same security for all fai and irfu matches!
    Well "mate", all I know is I brought a lot of kids to the match on Wednesday and the amount of drunk, aggressive knackers at almost every turn means I probably won't be doing so again. The security might be the same people as Lansdowne but I'm not sure there's enough of them for the increased capacity at Croker.

At the same time, the ones they have do nothing anyway, so maybe there's no point increasing the numbers of them. For example, one prick, off his head, was running around the Lower Cusack swinging a three foot flagstick. I saw him move around at least ten different seats in the one section during the ninety minutes including one in the first row, right in front of two security guys. They didn't even take the stick of him never mind fcuk the cnut out of the ground. They'd be a joke if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I hope we get out of CP as quick as possible so the FAI can stop funding evil.

Amen. Haven't been to an Ireland game in more than a year and I won't be while they're still playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Shamrok wrote: »
    Well "mate", all I know is I brought a lot of kids to the match on Wednesday and the amount of drunk, aggressive knackers at almost every turn means I probably won't be doing so again. The security might be the same people as Lansdowne but I'm not sure there's enough of them for the increased capacity at Croker.

At the same time, the ones they have do nothing anyway, so maybe there's no point increasing the numbers of them. For example, one prick, off his head, was running around the Lower Cusack swinging a three foot flagstick. I saw him move around at least ten different seats in the one section during the ninety minutes including one in the first row, right in front of two security guys. They didn't even take the stick of him never mind fcuk the cnut out of the ground. They'd be a joke if it wasn't so serious.

Maybe the FAI/IRFU wouldn't have anticipated the increased dodginess either. (It's not as if the FAI have their finger on the pulse of the nation...}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

[Rhetorical]Who's our new manager? [/Rhetorical]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Yeah totally. barstoolers and such

anyhow Barstoolers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gridlock wrote: »
    The music they play at ice hockey games is great, at every stoppage of play the P.A blasts out stuff like AC/DC and Metallica! That would get the place buzzing and no doubt motivate the players!!:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Listen to the music that comes on when play stops. Classic stuff.

Advertisement