Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

loading bays....

Options
  • 07-02-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

i work as a lorry driver mainly delivering to warehouses...
    this morning i had a delivery to a furniture shop in the company van...

when i arrived at the shop, a car was parked in the loading bay outside..
    i pulled in up the street and started unloading with the help of the shop owner..after 10 mins a traffic warden arrived and informed me i was illegally parked.
    the shop owner pointed that the loading bay was occupied and it was unfair to target us..the warden was having none of it and told me to move onto a loading bay on another street...
    he turned me down when i asked him to help us carry the furniture;)

he told me i had 5 minutes to finish my delivery and he completely ignored the car in the loading bay...

why do people insist in parking in loading bays with no consideration for delivery drivers??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They probably don't even know what a loading bay is for I'd say:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

A loading bay is for loading and unloading only. I don't know why the parking warden didn't ticket the car immediately.

I hate that kind of inconsiderate driving - from people sneaking up the bus lane and trying to cut in front of me to people "just stopping for 2 seconds, it'll be grand". It's just ignorant and inconsiderate.

It could of course have been a commercially taxed car which would have been fine for the 30 minutes or whatever if they were in somewhere picking up a package etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Where did this happen? Sounds like you met one of the little hitlers in Dun Laoghaire :D

There all over the place in Dun Laoghaire, I have a permit for Dun Laoghaire so it's all good.

My neighbour was a bit of a rebellious woman it seemed, she never complained about my loud music because she liked the music I played and when her permit expired the wardens piled a new ticket on every day. I went up to a warden and told them to lay off, that she's been sick lately, I was just told her permit is out of date (by a week or so!) and she could appeal the tickets, so I called in and told her and she just said she didn't give a sh*t. I think she knew what was going to happen. She just kept getting tickets every day for a few weeks, and you'd see loads of tickets on her windscreen. She passed away and I'm pretty sure no tickets were ever paid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Aren't commercials allowed pull up anywhere for loading?

Someone posted up the relevant laws one day.

ballooba wrote: »
    Aren't commercials allowed pull up anywhere for loading?

Someone posted up the relevant laws one day.

Anywhere as in on the path etc? Would they be able to pull up in a "pay and display" space and not pay do you know? I got clamped when loading up at 21:30 one night (first I ever heard of a 24hr Pay and Display:()

Any chance of finding that link? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

gogs2006 wrote: »
    why do people insist in parking in loading bays with no consideration for delivery drivers??????

I had a Delivery driver tell me to move my car before because I was parked in a loading bay, which I was and it was clearly marked within certain hours. Had he have been polite and asked me to move cause he had a large load to take out, I would have no problem, but his attitude stunk so I politley pointed to the sign and told him I wouldn't be moving.

I have worked as a delivery driver before and know where you are comming from. I would have told the warden that I would be finished around the same time they would ahve the ticket wrote out for the parked car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

AudiChris wrote: »
    I hate that kind of inconsiderate driving - from people sneaking up the bus lane and trying to cut in front of me to people "just stopping for 2 seconds, it'll be grand". It's just ignorant and inconsiderate.

As long as they switch on the "Park Anywhere Lights" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We have a loading bay outside our shop which becomes a clearway at 1pm, but trucks and vans park there all day every day, and the wardens ignore them. So why whould we feel sorry for them?

Also, a lot of small business' can't afford a commercial vehicle as well as their day to day car, so how are they supposed to bring stock to their business when they're not allowed avail of loading bays? As I type this, there are 3 vans outside, they've all been there over an hour (in a 30 minute bay), and nobody is loading anything, yet a warden has passed by them twice and done nothing.

I've also seen delivery drivers shout at people to move out of their way when said loading bay has become a clearway; I saw one stand at a womans window yelling at her whilst traffic backed up behind his truck.

Maybe if delivery drivers played nicely with others, other would play well with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

skibum wrote: »
    Where did this happen? Sounds like you met one of the little hitlers in Dun Laoghaire :D

this happened in tralee...theres a few hitlers there too:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

Fey! wrote: »
    Maybe if delivery drivers played nicely with others, other would play well with them.

believe me,some drivers can be pretty ignorant towards fellow delivery drivers:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i personally think a large fine(€200) and stricter enforcement would keep loading bays free..

when i get to use a loading bay, i usually leave my hazards on to let a traffic warden know i'll be leaving shortly

the worst culprits are tradesmen who leave their van in a loading bay for the day believing they're entitled to park there for the day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

gogs2006 wrote: »
    this happened in tralee...theres a few hitlers there too:D:D

haha ya tralee is very bad

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe the car parked in the loading bay was the traffic wardens!

Advertisement