Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science and Software Engineering

• 07-02-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm thinking of taking the CSSE course. I have already been looking at some Software Development courses in Limerick IT and Athlone IT. The Maynooth course looks a lot more challenging. Is it a better degree, and worth the extra effort?

If anyone has information on the course I'd be very grateful. What is the difficulty level? Are the lecturers good? Would you recommend the course?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi all

I'm thinking of taking the CSSE course. I have already been looking at some Software Development courses in Limerick IT and Athlone IT. The Maynooth course looks a lot more challenging. Is it a better degree, and worth the extra effort?

If anyone has information on the course I'd be very grateful. What is the difficulty level? Are the lecturers good? Would you recommend the course?

Thanks very much

CSSE for teh win! Though things have changed since I was initiated into the course. First year is apparently way easier but more theoretical - you'll touch on programming principles but thats about it.

Second year is grand too, again gaining you a wide but limited knowledge in more fields. Then there's 3rd year which is an absolute grind for the 4 months and exams (8 modules, 7 examinable) but then you're free for a year or 6 months for work placement.

And finally you reach where I am, in the final year of the degree and the course takes it up a notch. Fourth year is where you show what you're made of. It's tough but if you have the ability you'll have no problems securing a high mark and a great degree.

The best thing about the degree is that it's so wide ranging, but unfortunately I can't say you'll come out of it a solid programmer - it just doesn't have enough programming modules but I believe they are trying to sort that out for the newer crowds.

Your best bet is to chat to a few of the younger students (1st/2nd years) and see what they say since that'll give you a better indictation of what you can expect when you get here.

The lecturers (or 90% of them) are really helpful and good at what they do. Then you'll get the ones who know their **** but just can't convey it very well in a classroom but usually you'll pull through those modules if you work with your classmates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Well thanks for that information, sounds good! Any 1st/2nd years on here who could offer some advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I don't know about here but I'll post up a message on the MiNDS (IT) society newsgroup just to raise awareness or whatever ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Thanks for that. What's the industrial work placement like is it good, can you choose where to go or do they send you someplace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I found work experience to be great and a real bonus when it came to job interviews after graduating.

You are free to approach any company you want regarding doing your placement there. There are also companies who will send details to the college and you can apply through the college for them. As the starting date for the placement gets closer the college may start putting your name forward for any job that comes along regardless of whether the location is an inconvenience or not for you. The usual rule is that you have the take the first job that is offered to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

CSSE for teh win!
    High five :D
    Your best bet is to chat to a few of the younger students (1st/2nd years) and see what they say since that'll give you a better indictation of what you can expect when you get here.

Oh thats me :D

Anyway im a 2nd year doing CSSE. They changed 1st year this year, what you are basically doing in 1st year is general science you have to do Computer Science & Maths (im doing two out of four of the same modules for some reason) and you have to pick two other subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Experimental Physics or Mathematical Physics.

The modules you do in first year (MT & CS) are easy enough you might have some trouble if you do pass maths but if you but a bit of work in you will be fine.

I did sweet fúck all in first year and somehow managed to get into 2nd year but in saying that there was a few that didnt come back.

This year I have taken things a bit more seriously like in 1st year I was missing labs left right and centre, was out Mon, Wed & Thurs, missed loads of my lectures and missed a hole week of college playing with the soccer team. This year im only out twice a week and ive quit the soccer team. :D

2nd year is a step up from 1st year, looking back at sems one it was very easy. This was my 1st week of sems two so I dont know too much about it but from the sounds of things I will have a lot of work on my hands.

CSSE is harder then doing CS through Arts or Sci like im doing all the same modules as 3rd CS and a 3rd year Maths module. In first year I did two 2nd year modules but you wont be doing them till 2nd year now.

Ive heard you will now do Web development.

CSSE is a really good degree to have and in IMO having a degree from a university is much better then having it from an IT.
    The best thing about the degree is that it's so wide ranging, but unfortunately I can't say you'll come out of it a solid programmer - it just doesn't have enough programming modules but I believe they are trying to sort that out for the newer crowds.
    Tell me about it. I still cant programme with out getting help from my mates :D

EDIT:
    Some links
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/science_CSSEng.shtml
    http://www.cs.nuim.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?coursecode=CSSE
    http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'm currently in first year "CSSE". Which is basically general science. I picked the two physics as my other two subjects. So far it's worked out that about a third to a half of the mathematical/experimental physics courses cover the same material, and some of the first semester linear algebra was covered in one of my physics modules. The first semester was a walk in the park, nothing more challenging than leaving cert standard.

If you don't mind doing the science subjects in first year, go for it.

Advertisement