Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

missing or corrupt hal.dll

• 07-02-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi,

I've checked the microsft wesite for this error:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

It says to rebuild the boot.ini file through the recovery mode with the cmd bootcfg /rebuild.

The boot file seemed to be succesfully rebuilt. I've rebooted the pc and at start up i've choice of 2 boot files. The old and the new but neither work. I'm getting same error from new boot.ini

Any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

hal.dll
    Extract it to <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    then reboot and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Soory for being a bit dumb but how am i going to extract it?

It should be in a zip file from that site, winzip or another extractor.

Once again sorry for being dumb,

I've got the file but how do I get it onto the machine thats not booting?

can anyone explain these cmds please

At commnad promp typed, FIXBOOT (enter)
    then FIXMBR (enter)
    Then CHKDSK /P

• Advertisement

Well I would suggest putting the hard drive into another machine.
    If that's not an option try 'copy D:\1386\system32\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal.dll' at the recovery console.

To the best of my knowledge

FIXBOOT (enter) - Fixes the boot file
    then FIXMBR (enter) - Writes a boot sector to the drive
    Then CHKDSK /P - checks the disk for errors

I wouldn't play around with fixmbr just yet though.

I've tried the cmd copy and expand for the string

D:\i386\system32\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal.dll but I get back 'system cannot find the file or directory specified'. The cd drive is second in the boot order.

Putting the drive into another PC is not really an option, Its a laptop thats having the problem.

Right, are you sure d: is the cd/dvd drive?
    Can you cd to it and see if you can see hal there in the I386 folder?

okay so,

I've run attrib -r -s -h boot.ini
    DEL boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild
    fixboot

PC restarts but I get the same error about the missing hal.dll

I tried expand d: [\i386\hal.dl_] [c:\windows\system32\hall.dll] [/Y] and I'm told the parameter isin't valid.

If I try expand d: [\i386\hal.dl_] my access is denied. I've tried cd d: to get into the d: drive to remove the restrictions. The curser momentarly goes to D:\ but then comes back to c:\.

I've ran a dir on the d drive, its definitly my cd drive and the hal.dl_ file is in the i386 folder. Any help on the expand cmd string or how can I lift the restrictions on the d drive.

Expand /? gives the string as EXPAND source [/F:filespec] [destination] [/Y]

I'm not sure if this is what you're doing but the command should be

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hall.dll

It looks like you're putting a space between d and the path to the archive hal.dl_? And looks like you're using [] brackets?
    That's why you get the parameter error. If it won't let you replace the file that's there you can try

del c:\windows\system32\hall.dll

and then the expand command above

• Advertisement

Ive tried this cmd expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hall.dll but I get back an invalid parameter error.

I'll give it another try and also try the del cmd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Edscape

I too have the poxy hal.dll error. I have been thru the MS support and forums crap. I have also been told to type this and that, so I know where you are coming from. The f**king PC will not let me type diddly squat into it. All it does is sit there and give me the poxy hal.dll error. As has been asked before on this board, "how do I get the hal.dll file back onto a machine that will not allow me to input anything into it. Frustratingly yours, Edscape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

boot up from the XP CD and choose option to repair /recovery console, you get a very terse command prompt

or boot up from a linux live CD which has read / write NTFS capabilities

or use a BartPE windows boot disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Edscape

boot up from the XP CD and choose option to repair /recovery console, you get a very terse command prompt

or boot up from a linux live CD which has read / write NTFS capabilities

or use a BartPE windows boot disk

I too have the HAL.DLL error after trying unsucessfully to install XP PRO over XP home ed. I didn't get a CDROM with my PC so I am donald ducked. Where do I get an XP disk without paying full whack pls.

I too have the HAL.DLL error after trying unsucessfully to install XP PRO over XP home ed. I didn't get a CDROM with my PC so I am donald ducked. Where do I get an XP disk without paying full whack pls.
    A home licence won't work on a pro disc so a pro licence is the first thing you need. After that if you have any friends into pcs ask around.

Advertisement