Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 Prem Subs on the bench from next year

• 07-02-2008 7:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

on SSN now.

good move IMO, only three can still be used meaning its the same as some of the other leagues. Seemingly Spurs were a driving force behind the switch

looks like its a day for new inititives

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Great idea and about time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thank god!

Also, John O'Shea's career at United could well be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

o shea's united career over so:)

damn you got in before me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

ALLELIUIA!!

I've been an advocate of this for the past few seasons...incredible that it took so long.

• Advertisement

what?

O'Shea is a jack of all trades so limited sub options meant he always gets a place on the bench, now Utd can have a fullback, centre half, winger, centre mid, striker etc. and don't need 1 player to cover a few positions.

Don't think it will end his Utd career though...perfect squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Think it's a good idea and I'm sure those who play Football Manager will agree with me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is it any 7 players allowed, or is it like Spain where 2 have to be under-21?

Id nearly prefer the second, as it gives the young guys some involvement with the first team, and a better chance of breaking into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definitely a good move, can't see anything wrong with it myself anyway.

So the EPL had one good move and one bad one, both on the same day... coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The SPL has 7 subs but 3 of the match day squad have to be under 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

About time! As a United supporter I'm delighted :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is it any 7 players allowed, or is it like Spain where 2 have to be under-21?

Id nearly prefer the second, as it gives the young guys some involvement with the first team, and a better chance of breaking into the first team.

First I heard of that and i'm sure it's not true.

Unlike you I wouldn't prefer it. What's the point in having a youngster on the bench, just because rules dictate it, when you have no real intention playing him and when he could for example go out on loan and have first team experience?...thinking of clubs like Utd here obviuosly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

About time this came in , makes much more sense that just the 5 subs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Excellent news!

Unearthly wrote: »
    I've been asking for this for ages

Asking who though, thats the question. Woo hoo! Presumptive post #2 of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I've been asking for this for ages

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nunu wrote: »
    First I heard of that and i'm sure it's not true.

Unlike you I wouldn't prefer it. What's the point in having a youngster on the bench, just because rules dictate it, when you have no real intention playing him and when he could for example go out on loan and have first team experience?...thinking of clubs like Utd here obviuosly.

I just remember Rafa in an interview months ago calling for this change, and citing the spanish system saying that 2 youths had to be in the 7 to aid with teh development of the younger players. I could be mistaken and he might have cited the Scottish system, its just Spain thats in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Asking who though, thats the question. Woo hoo! Presumptive post #2 of the day!

Can I borrow your Delorean?

I just remember Rafa in an interview months ago calling for this change, and citing the spanish system saying that 2 youths had to be in the 7 to aid with teh development of the younger players. I could be mistaken and he might have cited the Scottish system, its just Spain thats in my head.

I was at Barca v Osasuna game at the weekend and there was defo only one U-21 sub, Giovani and he'd be on the bench anyway rules or no rules. I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions on subs in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Happy days. Great decision imo

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Can I borrow your Delorean?

McFly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

So teams would have to turn up with 18 players on match day? That leaves Villa screwed so :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Mourinho always wanted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Think it's a good idea and I'm sure those who play Football Manager will agree with me. :)

Lol hell Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Great bench for United then so...

Foster/Tommy,
    Brown,
    Nani,
    Carrick,
    Anderson,
    Manucho,
    Saha.

Ah shìt! No room for Pique or the other new boy! We'll just have to ask for 9 then so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Great move! now we will be able to cover all the injuries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Rafa would love to be able to use all 7 as actual subs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

took them long enough didn't it!! the winter break be next i say??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

denashpot wrote: »
    took them long enough didn't it!! the winter break be next i say??

Down with this sort of thing. Definate no to winter breaks. Hope the clubs never decide that would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

Stekelly wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing. Definate no to winter breaks. Hope the clubs never decide that would be a good idea.

i hate it as well. miss me spanish soccer when they take the break.
    the english always bring it up for debate some point during the season. it might not ever happen now after that idiotic discision to play an extra game a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Nunu wrote: »
    I was at Barca v Osasuna game at the weekend and there was defo only one U-21 sub, Giovani and he'd be on the bench anyway rules or no rules. I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions on subs in Spain.

That seems very lax of them. I reckon they should be fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

About time. 5 subs bothered me (in Football Manager :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

denashpot wrote: »
    the winter break be next i say??

gawd no!! that would suck! finally the premier league woke up, now as long as they scrap their other idea about playin games abroad, everyone will be happy!

Advertisement