Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Training

Options
  • 07-02-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

hi,

im 16 and have been a voluntary first aider for 4/5 years with SJAB. I'd be interested in become a paramedic after secondary school, but i wouldnt want to do it full-time, what i mean is, i'd love to be a trained paramedic, but not necessarily practice it full-time.

any advice on where i can train, how long it takes, what requirements i need, and how much it would cost?

thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

To out it bluntly, to train to become a Paramedic, you need to travel abroad. Unless you get into the HSE (on the off chance you get in) or DFB, it is impossible to train to paramedic in Ireland. The HSE have pretty much booked up all places in the national ambulance training school and as such NATS is no longer taking private individuals.

You could get up to Paramedic in the U.S. (some people do- $$$$) or maybe the UK has some courses (not sure on that one).

But THEN it's a question of whether you can get certified. Phecc, the regulator, has brought in new guidelines recently and they seem to be dead set on minimum hours for placements and classroom study. I am not certain if they will accept foreign trained paramedics (maybe you would have to sit a test or course or something). I think they really want at least the two years it takes here to become a Para.

Realistically, all you can get up to in Ireland is EMT level, either by joining a private ambulance company and get them to sponsor you into the NATS EMT program (4 weeks I think?) or hoping St. John's becomes a recognised training institute and runs its own EMT course.

Like yourself, I would love to get to Paramedic but not necessarily do it fulltime. But I cant, and it's a real bone of contention with me.

EMS really is a closed shop in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

If not doing it full time is it the best option, from what ive heard off paramedics is you have to be doing it all the time to keep your skills topped up

Put it this way elessar how many times have we fogotten slings because we only do it once in a while

Slings are an invention of the devil! That's why no-one can remember them :D

Fulltime work as a para is best, but who's to say that a one working with a vol won't save someone's life or make someone's life easier if they were there at the scene, that others couldn't? There are always the training materials, private/vol work and (perhaps) placements to keep up to date.

As long as there isn't advanced sling training a private para will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

My new neighbour is from the states and worked as a paramedic out there she has also two tours of Iraq under her belt. So Pretty expearienced girl:D
    But she has told me her qualifications are worthless in this country she would have to start from the bottom:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi Dan, I'm in SJAB also.

I'm guessing from your age that you are a cadet. Eventually if you stay within SJAB, you can train as an EMT-B which is the step below paramedic.

However, first you need to qualify as an Ambulance Member (Adult), then qualify for useage of an AED (simple enough). When you are AED qualified, you can be qualify as an Emergency First Responder. Then you can train as an EMT.

These courses are all run in HQ and details can be obtained from your Superintendent or MIC.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Elessar wrote: »
    Slings are an invention of the devil! That's why no-one can remember them :D

Fulltime work as a para is best, but who's to say that a one working with a vol won't save someone's life or make someone's life easier if they were there at the scene, that others couldn't? There are always the training materials, private/vol work and (perhaps) placements to keep up to date.

As long as there isn't advanced sling training a private para will be fine.

Agreed lol

Oh you can provide btter care for the pt eg entenox, gtn etc But then again with the more advanced stuff alot more can go wrong and alot more diagnostics and monitoring needs to be done and skills need to be top of the range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 !!!!!conor!!!!!

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Agreed lol

Oh you can provide btter care for the pt eg entenox,

Fyr.Fyt, I presume you are a member of a vol, can your EMFRs not give entonox??

Fyr.Fyt, I presume you are a member of a vol, can your EMFRs not give entonox??

OMAC doesn't give entonox anymore. I think it was stopped years ago, not sure why. But it doesn't really matter now since only EMTs can give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

DanOB wrote: »
    hi,

im 16 and have been a voluntary first aider for 4/5 years with SJAB. I'd be interested in become a paramedic after secondary school, but i wouldnt want to do it full-time, what i mean is, i'd love to be a trained paramedic, but not necessarily practice it full-time.

any advice on where i can train, how long it takes, what requirements i need, and how much it would cost?

thanks,

Dan

You have to be over 21 years old to work as a paramedic in this country as thats the min' age you can be to get a D1 driving licence, as a full C1 and D1 are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

But it doesn't really matter now since only EMTs can give it.

Amm no

Red Cross are still doing it, From EMFR level and up

• Advertisement

maglite wrote: »
    Amm no

Red Cross are still doing it, From EMFR level and up

Red Cross should NOT be doing it officially under EFR level anymore, it's now an EMT qualification. I know some vols did/still do it but it'll all be phased out under the new PHECC guidelines. In many ways the new EFR standard is a downgrade. In fact, I don't think the new guidelines allow for oxygen use for EFRs anymore (open to correction here). Although I believe vols can use it under their own protocols?

Red Cross should NOT be doing it officially under EFR level anymore, it's now an EMT qualification.

That is my i said EMFR, Red Cross are not yet running Phecc courses so it is their own curriculum,

So the regs coving EFR do not apply as we do not have any. yes ? no?

and as far as i can make out it will be the case for a while as they are running a EMFR course in the comming weeks, unless there is a shock announcement and change in course content but thats not likely.

Like wise we have no EMT's unless they are from the HSE

I have an EMFR which I received from working at sea.

Is it possible to do the EMT privately in the hope off gaining employment

NoDrama wrote: »
    I have an EMFR which I received from working at sea.

Is it possible to do the EMT privately in the hope off gaining employment

i would give it a year and look at the maritime college,

or go to a voluntary org OMAC St Johns or Red Cross..

at the moment i think OMAC are the best

Thank you for the reply!

Will look into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 !!!!!conor!!!!!

Red Cross should NOT be doing it officially under EFR level anymore, it's now an EMT qualification. I know some vols did/still do it but it'll all be phased out under the new PHECC guidelines. In many ways the new EFR standard is a downgrade. In fact, I don't think the new guidelines allow for oxygen use for EFRs anymore (open to correction here). Although I believe vols can use it under their own protocols?

The Red Cross can continue to run their EMFR course until they become recognised by PHECC to run the EMT course, and so their EMFR can continue to use entonox as they are trained to do. These EMFRs will receive additional training in the coming months to reach EMT level once the Red Cross EMT course is recognised by PHECC. The EFR level is not a high enough level to have attending on an ambulance, I was referring to the "old" EMFR which is being phased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Hi Dan, I'm in SJAB also.

I'm guessing from your age that you are a cadet. Eventually if you stay within SJAB, you can train as an EMT-B which is the step below paramedic.

However, first you need to qualify as an Ambulance Member (Adult), then qualify for useage of an AED (simple enough). When you are AED qualified, you can be qualify as an Emergency First Responder. Then you can train as an EMT.

These courses are all run in HQ and details can be obtained from your Superintendent or MIC.

Best of luck.
    yeah im a cadet in Finglas/Glasnevin CD with good ole mr.heart..

what division are you in? ive prob seen you around on duty and at competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Not willing to give such info but am in a sth side division close to dun laoghaire :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Not willing to give such info but am in a sth side division close to dun laoghaire :p

enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

nonononono, here PHECC still do EFR training but emfr is kicked out and intermediate will be joining that to so it should go basic efr emt etc, as emfr is being replaced by emt. so efr is still being done (i'm recently qualified within weeks) and emfr is out to be replaced by emt-b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

nonononono, here PHECC still do EFR training but emfr is kicked out and intermediate will be joining that to so it should go basic efr emt etc, as emfr is being replaced by emt. so efr is still being done (i'm recently qualified within weeks) and emfr is out to be replaced by emt-b

Sorry, its emt not emt-b

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

DanOB wrote: »
    hi,

thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan Dub Rescuer here,
    I'm in the same boat but i'm eighteen with CD and Rescue First Responder,
    I've been researching this for a few years and still no clarification, as far as i'm aware, or have researched though,

1. You must have minimum of 1650.00 euro money for private training (if you look up www.daycourse.com you'll find it), YOU CANNOT WORK AS PRIVATE SECTOR MEDICAL PROVIDER until you're 21 and still must redo the exam for them

2. If your going up training for public you must have a head on your shoulder and destined to help people naturally and not being forced to.

It is very hard to get in but you must have at minimum a full car licence and the health board request it to be clean with a D1 although some others want C1.

For more info ask me more detailed or set questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 medic5

I found a company in Galway that does EFR & EMT training for the public.
    I just got a place on their EMT Course.
    http://ambulancetraining.webs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Hey all just wondering what can emts do? im doing the emt course in the coming months with the hope of move on to paramedic level if I can get into the hse??! can emts use entenox and what is different from the efr course? thanks

Well, on my course we were allowed to administer entonox. We had to learn it for pharmacology. The drugs we covered were Aspirin, GTN, Entonox, Oxygen, Epi 1;1000, Glucose Gel, Glucagon. I suppose one of the biggest differences between the EFR and EMT is the extra drugs, 12 lead ecgs, using glucometeres, and spinal treatment board & KED (where as an EMT you are the practitioner). Hope this is some use to you. Have our exams next week!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

My EMT course doesnt start till the new year.. am I mad to do it:confused: will I get work from it???????:(

Well three of my class have interviews with a private company IF we pass the exams...............not jobs, just interviews. BUT I just want to get next week out of the way first. It's stressfull at the moment 16 of us in for a refresher week.

:DExams over! didn't see my name up for a resit, which means I probably passed, OR I stuffed two primary's and am not entitled to a resit :(
    But felt exams went well both the MCQ's and practicals! :cool:
    About 3-4 tricky MCQ questions, but think I prob got the rest of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

medic5 wrote: »
    Well, on my course we were allowed to administer entonox. We had to learn it for pharmacology. The drugs we covered were Aspirin, GTN, Entonox, Oxygen, Epi 1;1000, Glucose Gel, Glucagon. I suppose one of the biggest differences between the EFR and EMT is the extra drugs, 12 lead ecgs, using glucometeres, and spinal treatment board & KED (where as an EMT you are the practitioner). Hope this is some use to you. Have our exams next week!:confused:

What EFR course did you do?... was looking at the galway companies EFR course and they dont make reference to drug administration during the course. Interested in finding out what course will teach administration etc.
    Also if your have EFR training already is the EMT course shortened or do ya have to do the full course.
    Thanks
    DJ

• Advertisement

Do EMT's do XII i thought they only did 3 lead?,

Can someone with 120 hours really be proficient with rhythms in a XII.

Advertisement