Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Training

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 medic5

We did the drugs on the EMT Course. On the EFR course we covered, GTN, Aspirin, Oxygen, and spoke about Glucose gel.
    As for the 12 lead, we learned about lead placements, and we had to know seven rhythms for the PHECC Exam, they used Lifepak 12's for our course, but we only had to use four leads for scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Epi 1 in 1000 & Glucagon are IM medications and EMT's are not allowed administer them. Paramedic & Advance Paramedic grades are the only ones authorised to administer IM medications by the PHECC

Yes, Fully agree with you.
    However, we may administer a persons own Epi pen.
    We had to learn the other drugs Epi 1:1000 and Glucagon as they are on the PHECC list for EMT's, and are supported by PHECC EMT CPG's.
    The Glycaemic Emergency CPG supports administration of Glucagon, and there is also a supporting CPG for the administration of an Epi Pen
    Section E of the PHECC standard,Objective 10.3, page 127, of the EMT Objectives covers the administration of Intramuscular Injections.
    On the last NATS EMT (not Paramedic) class were examined on Naloxone in their exams.
    So we also had to cover it on our course.
    It's all in the air, so they covered all the bases by getting us to learn a load of the drugs.
    Can't wait to do the Paramedic course if I can get to interview.
    It must be very difficult, as the EMT course was tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ah you surely will medic5, with emt course done they will more than likely give you an interview anyways. That would certainly make sense! But it is the hse afterall

Hi Timmywex, thanks for that, got the exams officially, cert in the post :D:D Delighted to have it done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Hi, just to share with anyone interested the Irish Ambulance Training Institute in Galway are running an interview preparation course for the jobs in the HSE. Have not done it, but I'm going to do it for these interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

medic5 wrote: »
    Hi, just to share with anyone interested the Irish Ambulance Training Institute in Galway are running an interview preparation course for the jobs in the HSE. Have not done it, but I'm going to do it for these interviews.

Medic5 - if you manage to do the interviews with the HSE for this recruitment, let us know how it goes, what questions are asked and how long it takes.

I dont have my licences yet so cant apply but it'll be incredibly handy for anyone heading in to one on their next campaign (whenever that will be)!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

I'm awaiting a date for an EMT course from NATS. Is my membership of the Civil Defence sufficient to stay on the PHECC register or would I have to be employed as a full time practitioner? I am paying for this course myself in the hope of gaining employment with a private ambulance firm so I don't want to waste my time and money. Also does anybody know if NATS provide your placements for you?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm awaiting a date for an EMT course from NATS. Is my membership of the Civil Defence sufficient to stay on the PHECC register or would I have to be employed as a full time practitioner? I am paying for this course myself in the hope of gaining employment with a private ambulance firm so I don't want to waste my time and money. Also does anybody know if NATS provide your placements for you?

Thanks in advance

I didn't know NATS took private people anymore? They certainly dont for the Paramedic course anyway. Once you're Phecc registered, you'll stay on the register. Although for practitioner level I believe there are re tests or re exams once every year or two that you have to pass to stay on it. Details should be available on the Phecc website.

Afaik NATS does not provide placements for you. I could be wrong though. Was told about a colleague in my organisation who is in one of the privates and they sent him to NATS for his EMT, but he had to secure his own placements. He found it difficult with all the "you're takin our jobs!" attitude of the HSE. Got them eventually.

• Advertisement

I did my EMT course with the IATI in Galway, they organised my placements. Two of my friends did the course with NATS and NATS secured their placements for them.
    As for the register, currently there is no stipulation to have any patient contacts per year to stay on the register.
    With the vols, the same applies, but if you are covering duties and seeing patients, then just keep a log, will probably cover you.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Thanks Lads, i'll have to dig deeper with the placements issue. NATS won't take you unless you are a member of an organisation that has permission to use PHECC CPGs, and they require a letter of nomination by a high ranking officer/manager recommending you. It took many calls and emails to NATS to find this out. Seemly DFB are also preparing a new EMT course for the summer/autumn with the same restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Hey all,

I,ve just finished my Emt course and im waiting to get my exams. just wondering is anyone hopfull of getting in with Hse this time round? I have only my C1 licence so I cant go for it this time but I hope i,ll be ready for the next time.. Also maybe im way off the mark but ive heard they might be recruiting again this year!!

Advertisement