Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharia law comments criticised

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

PDN wrote: »

As an evangelical Christian I have no bias towards Islam, but I think what Williams was saying is eminently sensible. The Church of England has ecclesiastical courts and Judaism has rabbinical councils. To deny Muslims equal opportunities and powers is a clear case of discrimination. The word 'Islamophobia' is often misused, but I think it is appropriate in this case.

I dont get this at all. As an evangelical Christian I assume you take the bible to reflect the literal word of god. And yet you say you have no bias towards Islam and feel we should not discriminate?

Yes you are right, we should not discriminate i.e. we should ensure that all people irrespective of religion are treated equally in the eyes of the law and should note get positive or negatively discriminated against.

That means, in a secular state they should obey the law of the land. End of story.

I am happy for people to worship whatever god they wish in their own time, but just as Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, devil worshippers, Jainists, and atheists, they must submit to the law of the land in the country that they live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You've misinterpreted what he said like the rest of them.

He didn't call for 2 separate juristictions, he called for some elements of Sharia that could be compatible with British Law to be implemented into the law of the land where it didn't infringe on the current rights of citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I think that Dr. Williams meant well and is a respectable religious figure who is looking to promote peace rather than tensions. Many people misunderstand him because, deep down, they want to.

I also think that Sky News is rubbish. Anyone else notice that it was being taken the mickey of in V for Vendetta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think it is a good time to take note of how bad Sky News is. If a relatively big news story breaks during the day they give it blanket coverage, as if there is nothing else happening in the world. And they keep going on and on, with "on the ground" interviews, even though there's no new info available. It was like this with the Rowan Williams speech. Unfortunately its the only 24 hours news service on basic NTL.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess if you're having to do news 24 hours a day then you've got to milk every issue. Having said that, BBC World and Al-Jazeera (English and Arabic) do a good job by inserting programs throughout their day.

But that's not the real problem I have with them. The real problem I have with them is that 99% of the time, they are trying to force home their own opinion on matters and the other 1% of the time, they get someone on the show to talk some sense so that people don't accuse them of being too one sided. That's what you have to expect from Rupert Murdoch.

Honestly, one of the best news channels ever is Euronews. No opinions. Just news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

PoleStar wrote: »
    I dont get this at all. As an evangelical Christian I assume you take the bible to reflect the literal word of god. And yet you say you have no bias towards Islam and feel we should not discriminate?

That's right. Why don't you get it? Do you believe anyone who takes the Bible literally must fit a stereotype of an intolerant bigot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Just to turn everything on it's head it seems 99% of Brits now want a more extreme version of Sharia Law than even Muslims do!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...306648,00.html (Check photo 10 - the Sun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

wes wrote: »
    Dual legal systems would be pointless. I see no need to introduce Shar'ia law in the UK (or anywhere for that matter).

Having said that, the Archbishops comments are designed to cause a stir. The Anglican church attendance numbers have gone down quite a bit, so its seems they have resorted to this silliness.

The above comment is ridiculous. It wasn't a Muslim who has said this.
    Also, I taught the UK was a liberal secular democracy. British politicians like to mentioned that quite a bit.

Stephen Greens comments were bang on.

That link is broken now irishconvert. What was it about?

Advertisement