Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trusting dog with cats

Options
  • 07-02-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I and my OH have been talking about getting a dog (perhaps two for company). Our dogs of choice would be collie, gsd, whippet, greyhound or some sort of lurcher (or crosses of any). We will be getting them from a rescue so are not too hung up on breed or anything, just like the general look of agile dogs like that. We will have to get them young as I have 2 cats. What I am wondering is, if we get them as pups and they are brought up with my cats, can they be trusted with them when older and bigger, or would I be silly to place that much trust in a dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Dogs can certainly learn to live happily with cats, even ex-racing greyhounds have been taught to live along side cats, and not chase them!

Your best bet would be to chat to those in the shelters who will usually have 'cat-tested' their dogs on arrival. I'm sure if you look online you'll find training techniques to help your new dog(s) adjust to having little furry friends. I wouldn't however leave them unattended for at least the first few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks Glowing - The problem with cat testing is the dog is usually so scared/upset/confused on being in the pound he wouldn't even notice a cat. So he ignores, is considered "cat safe" homed, sometimes for the new owner to discover he's not actually cat safe at all. If he has been in foster with cats then great! But otherwise I would be wary.

I would love an ex racing greyhound but I would be very concerned about my cats.- they are just so sweet, we had one when I was a kid. She wasn't wanted because she was fighting with the other dogs instead of running!! When we got her she was nice as you like to our other dogs! I think the OH has thrown a spanner in the works now anyway. :mad: perhaps I should start looking for babies - might make him reconsider getting a dog :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If I were you I'd give Mary Jane at Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary a call and have a chat to her. http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/greyhounds.htm

Looks like a fantastic organisation! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

My lurcher is bomb proof with cats except if they are white. I can't figure it out. with most cats he just ignores them but if it is white all hell breaks out he wants to kill.

• Advertisement

My lurcher is bomb proof with cats except if they are white. I can't figure it out. with most cats he just ignores them but if it is white all hell breaks out he wants to kill.

Maybe cos its the same colour as a rabbit, maybe he was trained with a white toy? Weird though!

Are you serious? Thats mad! Maybe he had a bad experience with a white cat or something? Out of interest - if you get a running dog, what is the best way to exercise them? Obviously walks and all, but do they need somewhere to go for a good speedy run as well? If so - how do you go about finding that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

We have him from a pup, I have no idea as to where the white thing comes from. The only other animal that gets him going are grey squirrals he ignores rabbits as well.
    Helena I take him for a five mile walk every day. Every other day he gets off the lead for a run in some fields. I have permission to let him off there as there are is no livestock anywhere. Lurchers are couch potatoes he is happiest asleep in front of a radiator. They are great pets extremely loving with a great temperment fantastic around children and other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The beauty of the greyhound is that it's fine with a couple of walks a day. They're just big lazy cuddly slobs really. You can let them off for a gallop if you like but like any other dog you'd have to work on your recall and make sure it's in a safe place before you let your dog off the leash.

But do get in contact with Mary Jane, she runs a fantastic place and visitors are always more than welcome. If you're thinking about getting a greyhound there's no better woman to answer any questions you might have and past adopters are always coming back to visit so you can get the chance to speak to them also, see how they're getting on.

The most difficult thing about walking my greyhounds is getting them off the couch first! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

You're very right to be wary of cat tested dogs that haven't spent at least a couple of weeks in a foster home with cats, just letting a dog see a cat is not cat testing. Dogs and cats introduced as adults can certainly co exist peacefully and even become great friends but it's still advisable to keep them seperated when you're not home to prevent fun and games turning to injury. Also be careful to make sure that your cats are dog friendly, one of mine is quite dog aggressive, even with large dogs he doesn't know.

Advertisement