Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigeon For Eating

• 07-02-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

hey all, what do you think about eating Pigeon. is it a good idea, some say they carry TB. id like to try them. is there a certian time to eat them through the year? whats the best way to cook them if there ediable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ew .. no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

before you try pigeon you should try your hand at cooking some crow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Assume you mean wood pigeon. Then shallow fry medium rare with onions mushrooms and anything else, put into a pitta bread with salad etc etc:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I found they tasted abit livery. Only real meat is the breast portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Woddies are acctualy very nice when cooked right, I watched Hugh Fernleigh Whittingstall make Pigeon pitta pockets on has show River Cottage,
    I tried this and they were beautiful, meat is dark and gamey.
    http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-017m1.htmlHere is a link to as many pigeon recipies as you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't expect a mod to be trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I had it in a restaurant once - quite nice actually not too far removed from chicken just a bit more gamey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Mellor wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect a mod to be trolling

Just thinkin the same myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not much use cooking anything but breasts from pigeons, no?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I had pigeon as a starter in a restaurant once. It was OK, but there was bugger-all meat on it. As eamon234 said, tastes like gamey chicken. I ate it out of curiosity, normally I consider pigeons to be nothing better than winged rats.

• Advertisement

Have to say, I really like woodpigeon, which is what you'd have eaten in a restaurant, and a far cry from the feathered rats floating about Trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wood Pigeon

WoodPigeon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Perhaps he means Rook Pie! Somehow I doubt it though.

http://www.recipes4all.co.uk/index.php/topic,60.0.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

Cutting the breast off is quickest and it is the best meat.
    The meat is very dense and dark and can be tough, but it doesn't taste too bad......and since youkilled it, it should both taste better and justify it being eaten.
    I made pigeon fajitas before and wwas nice. You should use it as you would chicken breast.
    All good free food!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

Has to be one of the best birds to eat after Teal, would eat it before Pheasant any day.

Went to buy pigeon today, but the butcher was out, so bought a pheasant and a pack of venison sausages. I can smell it all now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Slip the knife underneath the breastbone so you get both fillets "on the bone" tends to stay a bit juicier when cooked that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I'd be happier eating a nice corn 'fed & organic' :D pigeon than some poor wee chicken that was 'made' in a shed...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Went to buy pigeon today, but the butcher was out, so bought a pheasant and a pack of venison sausages. I can smell it all now. ;)

does your butcher actually sell it? and if so, does anyone know any particular butchers that sell game in general and where do they source it, considering how tight the restrictions are nowadays in relation to tracability of meat etc....

He does. I know for the season he was getting stuff off guys who were shooting wild birds, but I think he gets farmed pheasant and such throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thed4king

does your butcher actually sell it? and if so, does anyone know any particular butchers that sell game in general and where do they source it, considering how tight the restrictions are nowadays in relation to tracability of meat etc....

If your in kildare, try Nolan's Butchers in Kilcullen. Just ask any of the butchers and they have loads of info etc on all their game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

There is a shop in Rush Co. Dublin that sells some game when in season. They said they had Rabbit and Pheasant in fresh today.

Can't remember the name of the shop but is across the road from Xtra Vision.

Never seen them sell Pigeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Theydont do pigeon. Spar beside Malahide Marina do quail.

Pigeon is great to eat... dont bother cleaning them just cut open the skin on the chest ad slice off the two breasts, no need to pluck or anything. Alternatively "crown" them (look at a demo video on the net).

Dont eat ferral(city) pigeons and when you shoot them dont pile them all into a bag, let them cool down and let the air circulate around the bird.

Handiest and quickest way is to treat it like liver.. fry em with onions and throw them into a pitta or crusty roll. They are actually quite good for your with little fat and low in cholesterol.

Im tempted to try the crow but havent got the nerve up if you check out Crowbusters site they will rant about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

have you tried a pidgeon curry. its luvly. with the weather we have at the moment dont be afraid to hang them for a day or two first!!!

Advertisement