Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf mk5 - creaky dashboard?

Options
  • 07-02-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Weird one this but I'll try explain it

Bought an 04 Golf mk5 last summer. After a few months the dashboard started making a creaking/squeaky kind of noise.
    It seems to coming mostly from the dash area at the drivers side.

It doesn't do it all the time, depends on speed and surface.
    Its pretty annoying at times.

Anyone any ideas what might be causing this? Is it a know issue etc?
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

My 03 mk4 golf is doing the same. Its coming from the passanger side of the centre console I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was it crashed or interfered with ie docking the clock etc? Sometime when someone rips the dash apart to do work on it they only replace half the amount of screws leaving it open to movement and creaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Be grateful that's the only noise you have, our Golf had a chorus of rattles and squeeks, gave up trying to track them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I've a 05 MK5 and bought it brand new. After about 14 months, the dashboard started to rattle and creak! I've a slight knocking sound also as if there's something loose within the dashboard. At first I thought that where was something loose in the glove box, but completely cleared the car out, including the boot and it was still there. Again I only hear it when I'm doing about 40 kmph on a uneven surface. I'm getting rid of this summer and will never buy a VW again!

It's my 3rd Golf and have had problems with all of them! Time to go Jap, maybe a Diesel Accord.... then again a 5 series is always something I've wanted...oh the decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Was it crashed or interfered with ie docking the clock etc? Sometime when someone rips the dash apart to do work on it they only replace half the amount of screws leaving it open to movement and creaking.

You could put every single screw back in and add a few more, it doesn't matter, dashes are never the same once they have been interfeered with. in my experience, This is why I avoid installing built in car kits. etc .etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I dont know why they stopped fitting metal dashes in cars, the early Beetle, Micky Minor and Ford Anglia had them and they were as solid as a rock right up until the end. I think the Citroen DS was the first car with the plastic dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

There has been no damage to my Golf whatsoever nor have any phone kits, ipod cables etc been installed. very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

My Seat makes noise too, sometimes like a bird chirping! But my car 10 years old now with 157k so its just age [and Donegal's finest potholes!].
    I think its a common complaint with VAG cars after a certain age/mileage.
    Your car is too new for that though, could it be the door card rubbing against the side of the dash on the passenger door? You know if someone closed it too hard or whatever and it popped out slightly, even a mm or two could cause a noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought the main reason to pay so much for a VW was for the solidity of the dash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Wow , who would have guessed that a VW would creak or rattle. Next thing , there will be rumors of mechanical parts and electrics going haywire. Cop on you bought a car that was designed by some accountants and a slick marketing department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that solves the rattling problem then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

flanzer wrote: »
    I've a 05 MK5 and bought it brand new. After about 14 months, the dashboard started to rattle and creak! I've a slight knocking sound also as if there's something loose within the dashboard. At first I thought that where was something loose in the glove box, but completely cleared the car out, including the boot and it was still there. Again I only hear it when I'm doing about 40 kmph on a uneven surface. I'm getting rid of this summer and will never buy a VW again!

Did you not bring the car back to a VW dealer and have the rattle/knock/klunk/bang/squeak rectified under warranty?

Not long after I took delivery of my 2000 Bora the dash creaked and rattled. I solved it in 2 mins by folding my ferry ticket and ramming it in between the lower dash and the centre console..... silence is golden :D I knew this as it was a recognised VW fault at the time. The VW solution instructed the dealer to insert a felt strip between the two components.

Advertisement